TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Apple Watch keeps nagging me for AppleID password

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rockster, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I upgraded my Apple Watch to iOS 6.0 and now it keeps nagging me for my AppleID password. I enter the password (using the keyboard on the phone) and the watch throws an error; "An unexpected error occurred. Please try again." I've tried this a dozen times. And, yes, I'm sure the password is correct. I'm copying it from my password manager app. Plus, the error message isn't about an incorrect password. It's an "unexpected error." Delightful.

It's been doing this for 24 hours and I'm ready to smash it with a brick. :mad: I've rebooted the watch but it hasn't helped.

Does anyone else have this problem? Searching online for a solution to this has been fruitless.

2. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

I've been getting this too after iOS 3.1 and WatchOS 6.0 updates. Never seen it before. I doubt it has anything to do with Tesla.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you mean iOS 13.1?

And, yes, I'm sure it's unrelated to Tesla. I posted here simply because TMC is my second home.

4. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Yes, 13.1.

5. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I had the password prompt this morning. Watch upgraded overnight.

I believe they have incorporated an App Store directly into the watch with the new watchOS.

it took my password without giving an error.

I’ll report back if it keeps asking.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

The repeated prompting woke me up twice last night (I wear the watch to track my sleep). Waking me up in the middle of the night is not a way to get on my good side. The watch is now in a drawer. I'm going to call Apple this afternoon and see if they have a solution for this.

7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I might hide the watch under a hammer if it woke me up. But, now that you mention it I didn't sleep well last night. Wonder if it was occasionally beeping?

As far as I know, the only data loss for clearing and re-pairing from backup is the credit cards in the apple wallet need to be re-authorized... I'd start with that.

8. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

I signed out of iCloud, lost my cards in the wallet. Signed back in. The nagging continues despite doing as requested multiple times.

9. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Interesting, that stinks.

if you're bold - on the watch - Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all content and settings

Then pair the thing again.

10. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Updated phone to 13.1.1 thinking that might possibly help. Nag continues.

11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Just got off the phone with Apple. Made my way to a third tier support person whose solution was to unpair the watch and then pair it again, restoring the watch from backup in the process. (Apparently, the phone backs up the watch automatically because there was a watch backup that was less than an hour old and I've never manually backed the watch up.)

The unpair/pair/restore process was lengthy, largely due to the "resyncing" process, but we'll see if that fixes it. I should know in an hour or two.

The L3 support person is supposed to be emailing me his direct contact info so that if this doesn't work I can contact him directly and pick up where we left off.

12. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

I just got a new iPhone, so I unpaired my Watch from the old one and paired with the new one. Backup up the phone and restored to the new one too. The Watch did indeed make the same annoying request afterwards, but so far only once. I'm hoping it stops nagging after that once, but we shall see.

This strikes me as an "I'm clueless, so let's try power cycling." solution, but sometimes that fixes the problem. It's sufficiently annoying that I wouldn't recommend it as a fix, but since I was doing it anyway a fix would be a nice side-effect.

Oh, I also had to log back in to my Tesla app after this. I also had to re-enable the phone as a key after pairing it to the car, but I assume that was because it was a new physical phone.

13. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

yes, I’ve reset and re-paired the watch several times. It resolved a battery drain problem. I think accumulated crap from numerous upgrades gets cleared.

the backup does get saved with the phone. If one wants to start fresh with the phone, they have to start fresh with the watch too..,

14. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

The unpair/pair seems to have fixed it. It's been three and a half hours and the watch hasn't nagged me once. Fingers crossed that that's the end of it.

• Informative x 1