Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apply light force to steering wheel 5 seconds after applying force to wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 model 3 standard range with less than 25k miles

they are using the internal camera to watch for attention now. If you look at your phone or stare away from road for more than 7 or 8 seconds it’ll beep at you. I’m guessing it’s your recording device that’s triggering the message. If you keep your eyes on the road, the gap between nags should be >30 seconds

they are using the internal camera to watch for attention now. If you look at your phone or stare away from road for more than 7 or 8 seconds it’ll beep at you. I’m guessing it’s your recording device that’s triggering the message. If you keep your eyes on the road, the gap between nags should be >30 seconds
Are you sure this is correct? I have a just-minted 2022 Model 3 LR and autopilot nags every 10 seconds regardless of my attention.

Are you sure this is correct? I have a just-minted 2022 Model 3 LR and autopilot nags every 10 seconds regardless of my attention.
I have a 2022 MYP and if im wearing my polarized sun glasses its every 20 seconds on the dot. if im not wearing glasses, its longer. it does track eye movement. you're looking in a direction other than your windshield, it will nag. as it should.

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba
I drove to the dentist today which is about a 40 minute trip one way. On the way home, l engaged FSD to try it out on a route I haven't used it on before. I'm not sure why, but I decided to put my hands at the recommended 9 and 3 o'clock. I didn't have any nags at all during the entire 40 min trip home. I'm not sure the hand positions had anything to do with it but l just wanted to share. I normally have at least one nag a minute up until todays test. I'm going to try it again on some of my normal routes to see if it stays consistant! YMMV!!

BTW, l was wearing a baseball hat and polarized sunglasses the entire time!

For me, On FSD beta it nags about every 10 seconds. On the highways when it switches to AP it backs off to 30 seconds. I’ve also had alerts come up saying ‘pay attention to the road’ when I was looking straight forward so I don’t know how accurate the attention tracking software is.

Before joining the FSD beta program it would nag more often in town than on the highway. It would also nag more often if there was a circumstance that made it unsure.

@ModLTh3 - my guess is you put enough torque on the wheel to keep it ‘happy’ without realizing it.

Nags due to lack of torque on the steering wheel will not give an audible 2-beep chime at the onset. Those are due to lack of confidence by the AP system. If that's happening constantly (and not just at tricky scenarios on the road), something is wrong and warrants a service appt to get it checked out.

Nags due to inattentiveness (eyes not front, using phone, etc) will result in 2-beep chime nags, but the message on screen should also reflect that. I forget the actual wording, but it's more "pay attention" than "keep your hands on the wheel". These nags also shouldn't be very sensitive. I can look away (out the side window) for almost 10 seconds before I get a pay attention nag.

In my car, the torque required to suppress nags in FSD beta mode (local streets) is much less than what's required with AP/NoA on the highway. I very rarely get no-torque nags while in FSD beta mode. I'm hoping the lower torque setting will apply to highway once we have single stack. The idea of requiring torque to prove attentiveness was always annoying to me. Reducing the torque force required is still not ideal but very welcome.

Nags due to lack of torque on the steering wheel will not give an audible 2-beep chime at the onset. Those are due to lack of confidence by the AP system. If that's happening constantly (and not just at tricky scenarios on the road), something is wrong and warrants a service appt to get it checked out.

Nags due to inattentiveness (eyes not front, using phone, etc) will result in 2-beep chime nags, but the message on screen should also reflect that. I forget the actual wording, but it's more "pay attention" than "keep your hands on the wheel". These nags also shouldn't be very sensitive. I can look away (out the side window) for almost 10 seconds before I get a pay attention nag.

In my car, the torque required to suppress nags in FSD beta mode (local streets) is much less than what's required with AP/NoA on the highway. I very rarely get no-torque nags while in FSD beta mode. I'm hoping the lower torque setting will apply to highway once we have single stack. The idea of requiring torque to prove attentiveness was always annoying to me. Reducing the torque force required is still not ideal but very welcome.
I've found a similar thing to you, no issue with nags because I'm holding the wheel and applying torque.
If someone is getting nags every 10 seconds its either the torque sensor messed up or the driver hasn't yet learned how to apply that "just right" amount of torque to the steering :)

Reactions: Dewg
I've been in the beta program for months now, and this week, I've gotten two strikes during highway driving. I can't get rid of the blue flashing warnings, which lead to red warnings without putting enough torque on the wheel to pop it out of autopilot. I was putting the entire weight of my arm plus bicep engagement on the wheel, but still no luck. The safety nag is making me a less safe driver. :rolleyes: I've also gotten the audible "pay attention" maybe 10 sec after engaging autopilot without any blue flashes. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the torque sensor. Extremely frustrating...wonder if it's time for a service appt.

I've been in the beta program for months now, and this week, I've gotten two strikes during highway driving. I can't get rid of the blue flashing warnings, which lead to red warnings without putting enough torque on the wheel to pop it out of autopilot. I was putting the entire weight of my arm plus bicep engagement on the wheel, but still no luck. The safety nag is making me a less safe driver. :rolleyes: I've also gotten the audible "pay attention" maybe 10 sec after engaging autopilot without any blue flashes. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the torque sensor. Extremely frustrating...wonder if it's time for a service appt.
yeah, the 'pay attention' nag isn't very accurate. I've gotten it multiple times while looking straight ahead.

You an also tap the right stalk down or move either of the scroll wheels to dismiss the blue screen nag. Were you having problems with he torque sensor before? Maybe try doing a reset to see if that helps. You can also turn off FSD beta while you're troubleshooting and to see if that changes the behavior.

I've never gotten a message initiated by the camera to pay attention no matter how long I look away. (Model Y)
Yesterday as a test on the highway (with a passenger to be sure I was safe) I looked completely away for over a minute. No alert.
Then I tried using the display for over a minute with the same results.

Nags from the steering wheel certainly do work but infrequently as I've found the sweet spots, at least in my car, for holding the steering wheel.

yeah, the 'pay attention' nag isn't very accurate. I've gotten it multiple times while looking straight ahead.

You an also tap the right stalk down or move either of the scroll wheels to dismiss the blue screen nag. Were you having problems with he torque sensor before? Maybe try doing a reset to see if that helps. You can also turn off FSD beta while you're troubleshooting and to see if that changes the behavior.
I ended up turning FSD beta off for highway driving. My autopilot driving over the last few days without it on has been fine, which makes me believe it's not the torque sensor...perhaps a tolerance stack-up problem with FSD beta. Good idea on the reset. I may give that a shot and see if it starts to behave.

I wear polarized glasses, and I wonder if the nag alarm is having difficulty if it can't see eyes.

I've never gotten a message initiated by the camera to pay attention no matter how long I look away. (Model Y)
Yesterday as a test on the highway (with a passenger to be sure I was safe) I looked completely away for over a minute. No alert.
Then I tried using the display for over a minute with the same results.

Nags from the steering wheel certainly do work but infrequently as I've found the sweet spots, at least in my car, for holding the steering wheel.
Only users on FSD Beta get these "pay attention to the road" nags. I own two M3s, one with FSD Beta and the other with FSD but not beta. I only get the attention nags on beta. As soon as beta rolls out more widely, you'll get them soon enough.

I really detest this feature and have avoided using Autopilot for this reason. Half the time I'll inadvertently disengage Autopilot and then I wonder why the car starts heading towards the ditch. It's a worse solution than the problem.

I really detest this feature and have avoided using Autopilot for this reason. Half the time I'll inadvertently disengage Autopilot and then I wonder why the car starts heading towards the ditch. It's a worse solution than the problem.
Unfortunately, the feature has been necessitated by multiple idiots doing what they do best and being irresponsible. Even with the current safeguards, people still criticize them as being too easy to defeat.

You don’t have to move the steering wheel, you can also move one of the scroll wheels or tap the right stalk down. Either way, the system will give a 2 toned beep/chime when it disengages and the steering wheel will suddenly give way and stop resisting your force. It’s not subtle.

Unfortunately, the feature has been necessitated by multiple idiots doing what they do best and being irresponsible. Even with the current safeguards, people still criticize them as being too easy to defeat.

You don’t have to move the steering wheel, you can also move one of the scroll wheels or tap the right stalk down. Either way, the system will give a 2 toned beep/chime when it disengages and the steering wheel will suddenly give way and stop resisting your force. It’s not subtle.
Yeah, on the rare occasions that I use it, I now just move the volume wheel up and down. Still annoying though. I hear you about the idiots.