Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apply light force to steering wheel 5 seconds after applying force to wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the problem. Hang on to the yoke with only ONE hand, lightly. If the car needs to turn, it will pull the wheel/yoke out of your hand. I get zero nags.

As I said later in the LOOONG post :) I also tried keeping ONE hand only resting on the wheel, tried all positions (9 o'clock, 10 o'clock, inside on top of spoke, bottom). Same, still got nags unless I "jiggled" deliberately - incredibly distracting. As to weights - I think people should share here what works, what doesn't, quite a few of the reviews on Amazon say weights don't work or the weight is a poor fit on the wheel, and some are way overpriced $200. The one I bought on ebay was $60 so I wanted to share a design that does work (for now). I tried my own home-made versions didn't work well.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks, can you post a link to which states have laws prohibiting its use? I’d like to read those codes/laws.

Here we go again... I am going to be very general with this and not try to get into specific scenarios.... if you get into an accident while using one of those devices, would the police or anyone else knowing that make them more or less likely to assume that you were operating the vehicle in a dangerous manner or just were not paying attention?

One more, if autopilot clearly makes an critical error and causes you to get into an accident where you try and sue Tesla and they find out you were using the device, what do you think they are going to say?

NHTSA also has sent many cease and desist letters to U.S. companies telling them to stop marketing the device in the U.S.

Oh. So I’m rear ended and the police will search my car and look for the weight and charge me? Ok. Appreciate the tip.
If YOU are rear ended....great example, haha...you clearly don't comprehend the conversation do you?

Here ya go. Those devices as per NHTSA are deemed to be "motor vehicle equipment" as per their interaction with at least one company that sold an "Autopilot Buddy" and any one selling them would fall under the definition of "dealer" or "manufacturer" and the applicable law would be in Title 49 USC Subtitle VI, Part A, Subchapter II. You should be able to find it from there.

Ok. But if I rear end or t bone someone then I’m going to be charged…regardless of weight or no weight. )and rightfully so.

But by 12/31/2022 it won’t matter. Elon says no hands on wheel will be needed at all by then. (The quote is earlier in this thread. ).

As I said later in the LOOONG post :) I also tried keeping ONE hand only resting on the wheel, tried all positions (9 o'clock, 10 o'clock, inside on top of spoke, bottom). Same, still got nags unless I "jiggled" deliberately - incredibly distracting. As to weights - I think people should share here what works, what doesn't, quite a few of the reviews on Amazon say weights don't work or the weight is a poor fit on the wheel, and some are way overpriced $200. The one I bought on ebay was $60 so I wanted to share a design that does work (for now). I tried my own home-made versions didn't work well.
I got “Sugru” to line the inside of each halve and fit them perfectly to me wheel perfect fit ;)

I got “Sugru” to line the inside of each halve and fit them perfectly to me wheel perfect fit ;)

In case I need to try this / the above device stops working - can you take a picture please? How much Sugru and where, not sure I understand where.

To above thread that kind of went off the rails - I am not advocating hands-free driving nor reckless driving! My hands-on, non-reckless driving (and also one hand only on wheel driving) just isn't a heavy enough touch to avoid the constant nags that started with FSDbeta, which nags a lot more than autopilot FSD non-beta did.

In case I need to try this / the above device stops working - can you take a picture please? How much Sugru and where, not sure I understand where.

To above thread that kind of went off the rails - I am not advocating hands-free driving nor reckless driving! My hands-on, non-reckless driving (and also one hand only on wheel driving) just isn't a heavy enough touch to avoid the constant nags that started with FSDbeta, which nags a lot more than autopilot FSD non-beta did.
image.jpg

Not much. A thin line and pressed it hard to get rid of any wiggle. Mine literally never comes off, so letting it sit to cure wasn’t a problem.