Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

APR 3.99%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially when I applied for financing it defaulted to US Bank and it was a higher rate. After about 30 minutes the app updated to Tesla Financing and at the lower rate.
I talked to Tesla "Financing" yesterday. For the X and S they do offer the lower rate of 3.99. It sounded like Tesla is directly financing them so they can manipulate the rate from what I gather (could be wrong). The other vehicles (3 / Y's) are sourced to third party partners and get the "floor" rate of 5.59.

Last edited:
I talked to Tesla "Financing" yesterday. For the X and S they do offer the lower rate of 3.99. It sounded like Tesla is directly financing them so they can manipulate the rate from what I gather (could be wrong). The other vehicles (3 / Y's) are sourced to third party partners and get the "floor" rate of 5.59.

Yep, auto loans are typically priced for prime loans (good FICO, DTI, LTV, etc) at 200 basis points over a 5/10 year treasury. So with today's rates and the fed funds at 5.00 to 5.25%, any loan that fails to cover this spread is immediately underwater. So Tesla allows its financing side to take a small loss originating the loan to make the purchase more attractive to the buyer.

This is a good tactic to use, since it effectively reduces the prices of new vehicle transactions without eroding the value of the underlying collateral. When Tesla drops retail (list) pricing, it can significantly de-value the loans they previously originated; since the LTVs of those loan portfolios shoot up. I really hope we see Tesla doing less overt pricing reductions going forward, and instead do rate adjustments or other things that have value; but leave the price of the vehicle alone.

@skytom88 has the right idea... the old guidance of putting 10% to 20% cash down on a vehicle purchase was something the auto industry was pushing... it wasn't really good financial advice. The smallish down payments allowed merchants to sell stuff like "GAP insurance" or effectively trap buyers to a particular brand while still originating loans to move their inventory. This ratio should be re-visited as we enter a recession; and 40% to 50% down payments (40% to 50% LTV after accounting for financing the taxes/doc-fees) makes more sense today.

PS, also be very careful around auto leases. I've seen some ridiculous money factors being applied on leases... some leases are really attractive/good while others are total rubbish. It's on the buyer to be careful since it's hard to distinguish without loading those lease offers into calculators and seeing the implied rates.

Reactions: skytom88 and SA2USA
Yep, auto loans are typically priced for prime loans (good FICO, DTI, LTV, etc) at 200 basis points over a 5/10 year treasury. So with today's rates and the fed funds at 5.00 to 5.25%, any loan that fails to cover this spread is immediately underwater. So Tesla allows its financing side to take a small loss originating the loan to make the purchase more attractive to the buyer.

This is a good tactic to use, since it effectively reduces the prices of new vehicle transactions without eroding the value of the underlying collateral. When Tesla drops retail (list) pricing, it can significantly de-value the loans they previously originated; since the LTVs of those loan portfolios shoot up. I really hope we see Tesla doing less overt pricing reductions going forward, and instead do rate adjustments or other things that have value; but leave the price of the vehicle alone.

@skytom88 has the right idea... the old guidance of putting 10% to 20% cash down on a vehicle purchase was something the auto industry was pushing... it wasn't really good financial advice. The smallish down payments allowed merchants to sell stuff like "GAP insurance" or effectively trap buyers to a particular brand while still originating loans to move their inventory. This ratio should be re-visited as we enter a recession; and 40% to 50% down payments (40% to 50% LTV after accounting for financing the taxes/doc-fees) makes more sense today.

PS, also be very careful around auto leases. I've seen some ridiculous money factors being applied on leases... some leases are really attractive/good while others are total rubbish. It's on the buyer to be careful since it's hard to distinguish without loading those lease offers into calculators and seeing the implied rates.
Agree; I did ~50% because though I could've done 100% cash, when I was getting 3.99% rate and my savings account was doing ~5%, I didn't want to go all cash on it. ~50% downpay got me below $1000 monthly payment. Also didn't want to increase my overall DTI too much in case I want to buy a new house or something down the line.

Reactions: holeydonut
Agree; I did ~50% because though I could've done 100% cash, when I was getting 3.99% rate and my savings account was doing ~5%, I didn't want to go all cash on it. ~50% downpay got me below $1000 monthly payment. Also didn't want to increase my overall DTI too much in case I want to buy a new house or something down the line.

Lol in the good ol' days, First Republic Bank would basically finance people like you at 0% since they just wanted your book of business. Explains why they went belly up.

I see Tesla has just removed the Low APR from their site. Now only the 3 year SC.
In that case, I'd recommend not making any changes to your order... I got the 3.9% after removing and re-adding FSD to my order through the website (an option I no longer see). When that happened, my financing was reset in the app and I had to "apply" again. The second time around it reset to 3.9% + a big bank name.

In that case, I'd recommend not making any changes to your order... I got the 3.9% after removing and re-adding FSD to my order through the website (an option I no longer see). When that happened, my financing was reset in the app and I had to "apply" again. The second time around it reset to 3.9% + a big bank name.
If you go to manage your order on the website (Not app) and look under Completed Tasks... Are you still able to see the payment terms? Mine has "technical issue loading your payment details". Hope this is just a website issue, as it was working before.

If you go to manage your order on the website (Not app) and look under Completed Tasks... Are you still able to see the payment terms? Mine has "technical issue loading your payment details". Hope this is just a website issue, as it was working before.
on mobile yes, on web, no. web has had issues multiple times today when I've tried to pull up aspects of the order (cause.. yeah, I'm impatiently waiting... :p).

right now, trying to load the order at all on web is just resulting in a hung API call.

• Funny
Reactions: SA2USA
Regarding 3 year free supercharging, I ordered mine when the Model X hit the lowest price point before the price increases in early April.
(Not lowest of all time, lowest before the last two price increases.)
SA says I can't get 3 year SC because I ordered before 4/20 even though I'm getting delivery next week (before 6/30 deadline).
The only way I can get 3 year SC is if I agree to the new, current price. I said no thank you.

Thought to share in case anyone's in the same boat thinking you'll get 3 year SC. That only applies if you ordered after 4/20.

Argh. I am really annoyed at this. I ordered a Model S Plaid on the 24th when the 3.99% and the 3-year of supercharging were advertised on the Tesla site. I got around to sending in the loan paperwork today, and was informed that the 3.99% expired at midnight THIS MORNING, and neither my advisor nor anyone else bothered to tell me that I needed to submit the loan documentation and that the offer was subject to expiration. Very, very frustrating.

Anyone have any connections that could assist with this?