Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What market and demographics is the Aptera aiming for? What market is Aptera trying to disrupt?

The I can't charge at home & lifestyle market. Disrupting the same as Tesla - ICE.

I'd say they're competitors in that one is for Right to Repair. Aptera is also trying to reverse the vehicles getting heavier trend.
I’d add environmentalists and “eco geeks” that are interested in maximizing efficiency and minimizing environmental impact and the unique engineering work that goes along with that.

Not so much disrupting anything as finding a new niche.

Reactions: Baluchi
I’d add environmentalists and “eco geeks” that are interested in maximizing efficiency and minimizing environmental impact and the unique engineering work that goes along with that.

Not even necessarily eco geeks, just some eco road tripper, solo or couple.
Although initially only 40kW DCFC you'd still be able to travel, and the efficiency means that charging will be cheaper than other EVs,, and destination charging would be much more useful.

What market and demographics is the Aptera aiming for? What market is Aptera trying to disrupt?

The market for who has the widest.
Aptera measures 2.25 m. (88.6 inches) in width.

Aptera-EV-Launch-Edition-2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Olle and jsmay311

@jsmay311 That's exactly who I know who's really interested in the Aptera!

I think there is a market for this car, but not a huge one. The packaging tradeoffs are pretty stark compared to a normal sedan/hatch/wagon. Kind of like a sports car, but instead of being a sports car, it's an eco-car, and super wide. Seriously wide. To me that's the most compromised part of the packaging.

I suspect it's too wide to even fit through my garage door. Though I've seen conflicting width numbers published so I'll withhold final judgement there until it's actually for sale and someone has measured a production vehicle.

For me the tradeoffs aren't worth it. A modern Model 3 or Model S goes far enough on one charge for me, and are quite efficient for what they are. More would be nice, but not worth compromising practicality for. That said I respect what Aptera is doing and their level of focus + commitment to it. It will be a very unique vehicle on the market. I like that, even if it's not the unique vehicle for me.

This is kind of the market that the original Honda Insight filled in the late '90's. It's sort of the Prius market but the Prius' bigger size made that market a lot larger than a 2-seater.
I, too, wonder if that market is large enough to make it but time will tell.

This is kind of the market that the original Honda Insight filled in the late '90's. It's sort of the Prius market but the Prius' bigger size made that market a lot larger than a 2-seater.
I, too, wonder if that market is large enough to make it but time will tell.
What the Prius was to ICE cars, Aptera will be to EVs. If they manage to get to production, my tree-hugging self will be buying one.

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
What the Prius was to ICE cars, Aptera will be to EVs. If they manage to get to production, my tree-hugging self will be buying one.
@Baluchi Prius is a very practical, well-packaged 4 door hatchback though. Even has a great turning radius. They drive like crap, but there's no functional compromises. Well a high trunk floor I guess but as a hatchback it still has good utility.

I agree with @Earl the 1st gen Insight is a closer comparison, and the Aptera is more extreme still.

I'm not trying to sway you against one, I'm just saying the Aptera in its initial form factor will never touch the popularity the Prius has had for the past 20 years. Not remotely close. I think if Aptera can produce and sell in the volume of a popular sports car, that would be a great success, and the most that could be hoped for of a car like this. Aptera could certainly expand their lineup later though!

Last edited:
Here in California, it would qualify for the HOV lane permanently (no annoying "good-for-a-few-years" stickers required). Combining that with its unmatched efficiency, it would be the ultimate commuter car. But only if you can look past its width and aerodynamic styling.

Here in California, it would qualify for the HOV lane permanently (no annoying "good-for-a-few-years" stickers required). Combining that with its unmatched efficiency, it would be the ultimate commuter car. But only if you can look past its width and aerodynamic styling.
@UCIBtheG How will the Aptera qualify for permanent solo HOV lane access? As a motorcycle because it's 3 wheeled? That could be a strong incentive, if not quite as strong as pre-pandemic.

That could change with the stroke of a pen.
That's true of course; by permanently I meant that no sticker with an expiration date would be required. But as long as three wheeled vehicles are considered motorcycles, and motorcycles maintain HOV lane access, they're good to go.

I just don't want to see anyone trying to split lanes in an Aptera :D

@Baluchi Prius is a very practical, well-packaged 4 door hatchback though. Even has a great turning radius. They drive like crap, but there's no functional compromises. Well a high trunk floor I guess but as a hatchback it still has good utility.

No, no, no. When I bought my Prius it was only because I wanted to virtue signal. Or to save money. Or so I'm told.