Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aptera just said this past Friday in a release that they are essentially "pencils down" on the design, but then popular demand for DC fast charging forced them just a few days later to work with Tesla to get that implemented. Since they were already committed to using Tesla's NACS connector, they must have already explored (and decided against) adding DCFC right? I don't buy that they thought the solar panels and level 2 charging would suffice for extended trips. It's good that they took the feedback seriously and announced the change so quickly, but concerning that they didn't understand the need for it in the first place. A big change like this so late makes me wonder what else might be in flux that will further delay the launch.

Aptera just said this past Friday in a release that they are essentially "pencils down" on the design, but then popular demand for DC fast charging forced them just a few days later to work with Tesla to get that implemented. Since they were already committed to using Tesla's NACS connector, they must have already explored (and decided against) adding DCFC right? I don't buy that they thought the solar panels and level 2 charging would suffice for extended trips. It's good that they took the feedback seriously and announced the change so quickly, but concerning that they didn't understand the need for it in the first place. A big change like this so late makes me wonder what else might be in flux that will further delay the launch.

My hunch is they were afraid to announce DCFC with such a low rate of charge (40kW), but after the backlash for not having any DCFC at all they decided to simply release with the best they could manage right now.

My fear is their pack design without any active cooling will never be able to do better than 40-60kW charging, which would be harsh with the eventual 1000 mile range version.

Reactions: Takumi
I'm curious if Aptera will speak the CCS protocol over the NACS connector, or they've somehow arranged with Tesla to support the Tesla SC protocol. If CCS, then Tesla SCers will have to detect and speak both protocols. The interesting thing is that if Aptera is fully CCS compliant electrically, then theoretically with a Tesla (or A2Z or the like) CCS->NACS adapter Aptera owners could charge at any other CCS location as well.

If Apteras claimed efficiency numbers of ~100 Wh/mile pan out, 40-60 kW will be equivalent to 2-3x that for the current crop of EVs. Which isn't bad. Even 5x compared to energy hogs like the Rivians, Lightnings, and Hummers.

Reactions: tm1v2 and android04
Glad to see that Aptera is adding DC fast charging to all versions. However this statement is a bit concerning.

Our DC Fast Charging system is designed to work with the Super Charger Network, so if Tesla agrees to open their network up to Aptera owners, your Launch Edition vehicle will be ready to go.

Will the Aptera be able to charge at the Tesla superchargers or not. Seems a bit vague right now.

DC Fast Charging Now Standard | Aptera

My hunch is they were afraid to announce DCFC with such a low rate of charge (40kW), but after the backlash for not having any DCFC at all they decided to simply release with the best they could manage right now.

My fear is their pack design without any active cooling will never be able to do better than 40-60kW charging, which would be harsh with the eventual 1000 mile range version.
It's miles per hour that matters. 40kW to an Aptera won't match the faster charging EVs, but it's going to be usable.

Reactions: jsmay311 and Earl
It's miles per hour that matters. 40kW to an Aptera won't match the faster charging EVs, but it's going to be usable.
True, but 400 MPH isn't that great when a Model 3 can get up to 1000 MPH. What will matter is how long it can hold the 400 MPH charge rate.

If they can get it up to 60kW/600 MPH, like they allude to in their video, and can maintain that for a decent amount of time that would be pretty good.

True, but 400 MPH isn't that great when a Model 3 can get up to 1000 MPH. What will matter is how long it can hold the 400 MPH charge rate.

If they can get it up to 60kW/600 MPH, like they allude to in their video, and can maintain that for a decent amount of time that would be pretty good.
Even 300mph can be reasonable. That's 4:1 Interstate driving:charging.

Glad to see that Aptera is adding DC fast charging to all versions. However this statement is a bit concerning.

Will the Aptera be able to charge at the Tesla superchargers or not. Seems a bit vague right now.

DC Fast Charging Now Standard | Aptera
No, people are understandably confusing the use of the NACS plug with supercharger access. Fast charging on the Aptera right now would require a CCS adapter, which I'm okay with. Maybe someday they'll have access to superchargers, but the company has not made that claim.

Another interesting tidbit here:

“We will also be working on a 100kW version for release down the road.”

Faster charge rates would be nice, but getting an agreement for Supercharger access is the more important goal IMO.
I wonder if the 100 kw speed is planned for the bigger battery versions only, because a 100+ kWh battery will take a while to fill otherwise. All of this could just be empty hope and speculation unless they get a big funding injection to even get to the production stage.

Reactions: Baluchi
I'm keeping my Aptera reservation, but have no illusions how hard it is to bring any car to market.

Looking for the new version?

F09BF211-BD5E-4D5D-AE41-7045B5040562.jpeg

I hope a lot of people buy the launch edition Aptera, assuming they get the funding to manufacture it that is. But I'm waiting for a few more boxes to be checked before I would accept delivery of one. For instance I want an autopilot equivalent and heated seats. Both of those features are being planned, but neither of them are going to be in the early cars.

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
No, people are understandably confusing the use of the NACS plug with supercharger access. Fast charging on the Aptera right now would require a CCS adapter, which I'm okay with. Maybe someday they'll have access to superchargers, but the company has not made that claim.
You're right I was confusing this.

Here is my complaint then. If you have to have an adapter to fast charge, then why even use the NACS ? Adapters just add another point of failure and another level of complexity that should not be there. Just put CCS in the car and be done with it.

If you are doing level 2 charging it would be better to have a J1772 instead of NACS because there are more stations and again no adapter needed.

Here is my complaint then. If you have to have an adapter to fast charge, then why even use the NACS ? Adapters just add another point of failure and another level of complexity that should not be there. Just put CCS in the car and be done with it.
My understanding (which is admittedly limited) is that this has to do with the size of the charge port and the extreme aerodynamic requirements of the car -- it would be difficult at best to fit a CCS1 charge port into the Aptera's design, whereas an NACS port works well.