Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arachnid Range impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I've driven on nothing buy the OEM 19" rims and tires for nearly 80k miles until my referral program 21" Arachnids were installed last Thursday. On Friday I drove over 180 miles to Kansas City, MO, so had a chance to see what sort of impact the new rims/tires would have. While this general issue has been discussed many times before in comparing 19" to 21" OEM rims, I hadn't seen it specific to the arachnids.

While I can't give an exact percentage comparison, I can tell you that I didn't really see a measurable difference in energy efficiency/range.

On the Trip up there is a slight (400') elevation decrease and winds were calm. Driving the speed limit I averaged ~282Wh/mi over the ~183 miles to the supercharger arriving with ~65 miles to spare after a 252 mile range charge.

Coming home was a bit more sketchy as with the elevation gain I also had a stiff headwind or quartering headwind the entire drive and my energy efficiency was closer to 333Wh/mi. That leg is always less efficient than the Northbound trip. Also, I had started with only 240mi rated range and arrived home with about 25 miles of rated, again right at 183 miles total.

Hoping this alleviates some of the anxiety I had before starting the trip for others making the switch.

arachnid at supercharger.JPG

I've driven on nothing buy the OEM 19" rims and tires for nearly 80k miles until my referral program 21" Arachnids were installed last Thursday. On Friday I drove over 180 miles to Kansas City, MO, so had a chance to see what sort of impact the new rims/tires would have. While this general issue has been discussed many times before in comparing 19" to 21" OEM rims, I hadn't seen it specific to the arachnids. While I can't give an exact percentage comparison, I can tell you that I didn't really see a measurable difference in energy efficiency/range. On the Trip up there is a slight (400') elevation decrease and winds were calm.
Driving the speed limit I averaged ~282Wh/mi over the ~183 miles to the supercharger arriving with ~65 miles to spare after a 252 mile range charge. Coming home was a bit more sketchy as with the elevation gain I also had a stiff headwind or quartering headwind the entire drive and my energy efficiency was closer to 333Wh/mi. That leg is always less efficient than the Northbound trip. Also, I had started with only 240mi rated range and arrived home with about 25 miles of rated, again right at 183 miles total.

Interesting data. Can't wait to get my Arachnids mounted for summer driving :cool:

What tires and sizes did they install? What are the arachnid wheel sizes? (21x8.5? 21x9? 21x10?) Square setup or staggered?

Specifications:
• 21″ Arachnid Wheel
•Size: 21 X 8.5″ front,21 X 9.0″ rear.
•Offset: +40 front, +40 rear
•PCD: 5X120
•Center Bore: 64.1mm
•Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
•Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb.-ft.
•Weight: 26.5 lb. front, 28.5 lb. rear

Package includes:
• 4 Arachnid wheels
• 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires
• 4 tire pressure sensors
• 4 Tesla logo wheel caps

I have 19's, 20's, and 21's. The 19s have winter tires on stock rims. 20's are a forgeline with low resistance tires. The 21's are OZ Zues forged with contisilent staggered.

I can say with absolute certainty that the determining factor is the tire, not so much the size, not so much the weight.
My 20's allow me to be below 290w @65 consistently. P100DL. The 19's use a little more but not much. The 21's use A LOT more. They are terrible for efficiency. The 21" rims are the lightest of the 3. They were $1600/rim.