Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arbitration buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the buyback on the Tesla? We are seeing people having their car bought back and be treated like trade ins. It will pop up as a CPO car eventually.
No, it was on a German car. Not gonna say which because it would easily expose my identity. I had to make a huuuuuuge fuss to get them to offer a buyback... and it wasn't until the questions coming from the arbitration board obviously indicated they were siding with me that the buyback was offered.

I think it's terrible that buy-back cars aren't labeled as such. Without the lemon branded title, customers just think "whoa! Low mileage used luxury car, what a killer deal!". The whole experience made me very wary to buy used, nearly-new cars. My used rule-of-thumb now is that it should at least be a 36 month old car, to make it plausibly someone's lease.

Reactions: GreenT
No, it was on a German car. Not gonna say which because it would easily expose my identity. I had to make a huuuuuuge fuss to get them to offer a buyback... and it wasn't until the questions coming from the arbitration board obviously indicated they were siding with me that the buyback was offered.

I think it's terrible that buy-back cars aren't labeled as such. Without the lemon branded title, customers just think "whoa! Low mileage used luxury car, what a killer deal!". The whole experience made me very wary to buy used, nearly-new cars. My used rule-of-thumb now is that it should at least be a 36 month old car, to make it plausibly someone's lease.

That's what I am trying to find out. I know people have been getting buy back from Tesla out of their "goodwill", but these cars are getting resold as used cars with clean title. On the other hand, what about cars that went through arbitration? Are those being resold as used cars?

But yes, private message me if you have experience on the Tesla process.

That's what I am trying to find out. I know people have been getting buy back from Tesla out of their "goodwill", but these cars are getting resold as used cars with clean title. On the other hand, what about cars that went through arbitration? Are those being resold as used cars?

But yes, private message me if you have experience on the Tesla process.
I'm not sure what the problem is here. If a car is fixed and sold as used with a warranty, no misrepresentation. It's not like it was in an accident and might have hidden damage.
Just because an owner became frustrated with the repair process doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed. Mechanical problems can be fixed. Parts are parts.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. If a car is fixed and sold as used with a warranty, no misrepresentation. It's not like it was in an accident and might have hidden damage.
Just because an owner became frustrated with the repair process doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed. Mechanical problems can be fixed. Parts are parts.

You can keep your lemon, just don't force it on others that don't want it

Reactions: Onyx M3
Nobody is being forced to buy anything except Tesla.

Tell that to the poor people who are buying used cars from Tesla that were deemed as lemons

upload_2019-1-20_0-27-7.png

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr and GreenT
Just like how not mentioning the car was a buyback is voluntary? What good is a warranty if the car is always in the shop?
You are assuming that the car wasn't fixed and can't be fixed. Just because one owner lost patience with the process doesn't mean that it couldn't be fixed. If it wasn't fixed, it couldn't be sold.

My only experience with a lemon buyback was with an Audi that had repeated problems with the engine computer (and possibly sensors). I lost patience and they bought it back. I assume that they fixed it and resold it. It's just a matter of replacing enough parts until you get it right. It's not like the car was inhabited by "lemon gremlins" that would continue to strike at new targets.

Funny, plenty of Model X still have f-ed up doors running around. Your theory doesn't hold very true does it? Not everything is fixable, people are willing to tolerate it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Anyway bottom line, cars that meet the lemon law criteria should go back. Just hope the used car buyer will be able to find these things.

Funny, plenty of Model X still have f-ed up doors running around. Your theory doesn't hold very true does it? Not everything is fixable, people are willing to tolerate it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Anyway bottom line, cars that meet the lemon law criteria should go back. Just hope the used car buyer will be able to find these things.
I haven't seen anyone whinging about f-up doors since the initial release of the X (and people here are not shy about whinging about even minor problems).

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
You are assuming that the car wasn't fixed and can't be fixed. Just because one owner lost patience with the process doesn't mean that it couldn't be fixed.

That is a pretty solid assumption. If Tesla can't be bothered to fix the car while owned by a paying customer, what extra incentive do they have to fix it after buying it back? Why buy it back to begin with, if it's indeed within their abilities to fix it?

The simple realty is that they will sell it at a lower price, likely to someone with a higher level of tolerance for the persistent quality issues.

If it wasn't fixed, it couldn't be sold.

A buyback implies they sold a bad car the first time around, no? Why expect them to suddenly be a lot more concerned about the condition of the vehicle the second time around?

From my understanding those who go through the buyback process sign an NDA (understandably) and do not discuss it.

No NDA for mine.

I had opted out of arbitration at the time of purchase and my issue documentation was quite extensive. They would have lost badly had they not gone for a "voluntary" buyback, perhaps that also factored into their quick approval.

For those of you in this position: If you own the vehicle (not financed), they ask for a signed-over title and buyback form, and they promise to send payment once those are received and processed in CA. I initially refused to do that, but I then talked to an experienced lawyer who told me that's how all manufacturers issue payment for buybacks. Typically they send payment to the bank first, then they get the title from the bank and then they send the balance to the owner. If there's no lien, they send a check to the owner once they receive the title and other paperwork.

In my case, I received a check some 3 days after having dropped off the vehicle and signed over the title.

What issues are you having? And no i did not sign a NDA nor was i asked to.

Question for you if I may... My S is about 7 months old and it's been in five times for "autopilot functions limited", "surround view limited" and "blindspot detection limited" -- basically: camera problems, and they haven't been able to fix it. Replaced all the cameras, ran new wiring harnesses, They began a week after I go the car.

I'm supposed to take it in for a 6th time in August. I've been without the car for about 25 days so far since I've had it starting in December.

In addition to that I had the yellowing screen that started < 90 days in, and "due bill" problems they were never able to fix (misaligned hatch) which they gave me tires for instead.

I talked to a Lemon Law lawyer, but these guys, there's no way to tell if they're trustworthy. Colorado also has the worst lemon law in the country.

Did you go through a lawyer? I'm guessing so... I only have one year here, so my time's up in December -- You mentioned you were too patient... Do you think there are actions I should be taking now?

Also, I'm guessing the whole mess of loan payoff and taking out a new loan would be a bear if I did do it (I know many Tesla owners just pay cash!) - and not sure how a buyback affects all that.

I just returned my Model X to Tesla yesterday as a result of a buyback. Happy to answer any questions that you might have.

The entire process wasn't fun at all (and severely tarnished my view of Tesla after being loyal to the brand since 2012 when I reserved my first Model S). Tesla ignored me every step of the way until they got notice from the court that a hearing was going to be scheduled, then they seemed to want to do everything to make the case go away.

Were there any forms you signed that were sketchy or did you have to sign a NDA when you returned it? Thanks