Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the new V4’s in North America CCS1 compatible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a close enough shot to give a decent guess on how it works. Basically currently there is likely a locking tab locking the adapter to the station. When the app activates a stall for a non-Tesla, it will actuate a locking pin to lock the adapter to the Tesla connector and to release the CCS from the docking station. If they are clever enough in the design, the adapter could be fully passive (just like the CCS1 to Tesla adapter with that clever locking pin).

There is also a possibility that once removed from the dock, the adapter can still be disconnected, but that would seem like a bad design (and may have safety implications if it remains so while plugged into the car).

There is also a possibility that once removed from the dock, the adapter can still be disconnected, but that would seem like a bad design (and may have safety implications if it remains so while plugged into the car).
Unlikely, as the adapters would likely grow legs and walk away. (Of course, they could just bill the last person that "checked out" the adapter without returning it to the dock for the replacement cost, including the truck roll/labor expense.)

I assume the button on the NACS wand, would be to trigger the stop charging and release the adapter from the vehicle it was plugged in to.

It appears that there is a change to Tesla drivers, you will have to press the button on the NACS wand to release it from the MagicDock, which you don't have to do on a normal V2 or V3 stall. (It will probably help prevent cables from falling down as the "locking" tang gets worn on the stall.)

Will be interesting to see how well the TPC/NACS connector is secured to the CCS1 plug given there don't appear to be any additional locking holes.
Why would there need to be any additional locking holes? They would use the same locking hole that is used to lock it to a Tesla while you are charging.

Reactions: Smytty and israndy
It appears that there is a change to Tesla drivers, you will have to press the button on the NACS wand to release it from the MagicDock, which you don't have to do on a normal V2 or V3 stall. (It will probably help prevent cables from falling down as the "locking" tang gets worn on the stall.)

Why would there need to be any additional locking holes? They would use the same locking hole that is used to lock it to a Tesla while you are charging.
Nope, just pull it out. I think I make have pressed the button in the video, it was my first thought as it didn't hang like the regular setup

Reactions: KJD and moa999
Hmmm. This video makes it look like he tried to pull it out and couldn't until he pressed the button:

And he even mentioned having to press the button.
If it requires a button press to release, then it could be the locking mechanism to the adapter is designed to be mechanically normally locked and electronically released. Then on the dock, when CCS is enabled they simply disable the release electronically and it will remain locked to the adapter. Kind of makes the design fairly simple.

Then on the CCS to dock side, they can just have a regular electronically actuated lock just like how CCS cars have it.

Was also a post on Twitter speculating on someone stealing an adapter.

I actually suspect it's designed to be worthless.
It's likely just a dumb adapter, basically wiring one port to another.

And it's actually the app undocking procedure that tells the Supercharger to speak CCS language (or PLC) rather than TPC (CANbus).

If you happened to get your hands on an adapter and plugged it into a TPC end your non-Tesla car wouldn't understand the supercharger unit.

Remember that the older Tesla's needed board upgrades (at the car) to be 'taught' to speak CCS.

If they do submit proposals they will likely be competing against a lot of other companies, some of which are likely:
  • Electrify America
  • EVgo
  • ChargePoint
  • Blink
  • EV Connect
  • Greenlots
  • West Coast Electric Highway
  • CircleK
  • TravelCenters of America
  • Flying J Truck Stops
  • Pilot Truck Stops
  • Shell Recharge
  • Exxon
  • Rivian
Greenlots no longer exists, purchased and renamed Shell Recharge as you show on your list
West Coast Electric Highway was also purchased and renamed EVCS

Exxon has chargers now? I didn't even know CircleK was installing chargers (other than near my house)

I hope they retrofit V2 to V3+ sites first with the Magic Dock. V3 is already plenty fast and on the road trips routes we plan our charging at V3 chargers almost exclusively. Retrofitting a V3 with magic dock will not only take time and may create downtime at these chargers but not solve the problem of slower charging at the V2 chargers. Most of the chargers I've seen this far with Magic Dock have been V3 retrofits right?

I hope they retrofit V2 to V3+ sites first with the Magic Dock. V3 is already plenty fast and on the road trips routes we plan our charging at V3 chargers almost exclusively. Retrofitting a V3 with magic dock will not only take time and may create downtime at these chargers but not solve the problem of slower charging at the V2 chargers. Most of the chargers I've seen this far with Magic Dock have been V3 retrofits right?
It's not clear this is what I would want them to do with their money. Sure, V2 stations can be slow when full if you pull in next to a model X. But they do the job, and I would rather have more stations in more places than retrofit the old ones.

Based on their declaration that they will be making 3,500 CCS compatible stalls, while adding 17,000 total new stalls to double the count, I doubt they are doing many retrofits.
In fact, the deployment of magic dock in all the stalls in the stations we have seen surprises me. I was anticipating we might see stations with 4 magic docks (for NEVI money) rather than a small number of stations which are all magic-dock and a whole lot more that are 100% NACS.

That wouldn't be a retrofit, that would be a complete site tear out and rebuild. And might require a new, bigger, transformer as well.
Got it I didn't know of the electric rewiring that would be needed apart from the change to the dispenser itself.

More and more V3 chargers are popping up all around us which is making the V2 a total afterthought for me in Texas. These cars have enough range that I would always prioritize charging a bit longer at a V3 to make it maybe a bit farther vs having to stop at a V2 where I may have to share power and possibly even get slower speeds than the 120-150 kW rated charging.

Got it I didn't know of the electric rewiring that would be needed apart from the change to the dispenser itself.
V2 has two stalls connected to each cabinet. V3 have 4 stalls connected to each cabinet. I suppose that they could just try to re-route cables on the cabinet end, but that would add extra connections that is never desirable.

In reality I see almost no reason to upgrade a V2 site to V3, that money should just be put toward putting in an additional V3 site nearby. (The only exception would be if there is nowhere else "nearby" to put a new V3 site.)

Reactions: APotatoGod