Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are bragging rights worth $15k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is different but for me it's a no brainer. Did a lot of drag racing when I was younger and I've never had a 9 second car. I can't build a 9 second car for 90k that you don't have to work on all the time. Especially one you can race saturday night then drive it to church sunday morning and use for a daily driver. Had a Hellcat and it was fun but impossible to hook on the street. So heck yeah it's worth it to me.

If you’re a gear head you’re buying a money pit for a more exciting ride…… come on now….
IMG_1021.jpeg

Reactions: aerodyne and ginmqi
FYI - I ran a few MYPs with my MS LR. It was a very tight race up until about 50 mph; then the MS LR would just run away and hide from an MYP. If I ran an M3P, they would beat me every time until I'd finally catch them at about 70 mph and then run away.

If rolling at about 40-50 mph, the MS LR is going to destroy any M3P or MYP, and will pull the past P100D versions. The faster you go, the more it favors the MS LR. There isn't any speed that the Plaid doesn't just flat demolish the MS LR. Keep in mind though that the MS LR, even with its soft launch, is still Lambo quick in the 1/4 and will pull the Taycan Turbo S in the 1/4 (ran a few of those) but they will beat it badly to 60 mph.

I've spent far more on upgrades for ICE cars that didn't get me the improvement you get by going Plaid. Not to mention the basic reliability of the Plaid for how quick it is. MS LR = Lambo fast; MS Plaid = Bugatti Chiron fast.

/Cue Jeopardy theme:
Contestant: Alex, I'll take the category, "Cars that can smoke supercars for under $100k", please.
Alex: What car can smoke a Bugatti Chiron for under $100k?

We all know the answer to that. Every day I am out enjoying it too.
Great reply DayTrippin! Appreciate it!
Agree for the $15k more, best bang for the buck. wondering how insurance is. lol.

Great reply DayTrippin! Appreciate it!
Agree for the $15k more, best bang for the buck. wondering how insurance is. lol.
Surprisingly my Plaid was cheaper than my LR. Both were cheaper than my MY LR. My M3 LR is cheapest of them all but only $100/yr less than my Plaid. Obviously insurance is quite variable due to many factors and location. But for me the Plaid was pretty affordable compared to my other Teslas.

Reactions: Speedr117
Plaid is worth it especially as financial decision, the price gap between LR and P is too little for what you get, I bet the gap will be bigger in the used market.

As it stands now its an engineering marvel, people don’t see it because of how mundane the car looks!

The next car than can come a bit close to the plaid performance is around 30x more…

its stupid not to get a plaid, especially in the X.

I had a plaid as a loaner recently and it’s…something. I don’t know that I’ve ever felt anything like that in my life, whether in an automobile, airplane, or while riding a roller coaster.

There’s an isolated area near my house. I did a full-throttle plaid launch and my partner made some sort of noise I’ve never heard before. A tear ran sideways across my cheek. My phone departed the console.

I didn’t like the rest of the car primarily because of the dopey signals, yoke, and gear selector but if you’re fine with those elements of the S then you should test drive the plaid. The experience is indescribable.

I had a plaid as a loaner recently and it’s…something. I don’t know that I’ve ever felt anything like that in my life, whether in an automobile, airplane, or while riding a roller coaster.

There’s an isolated area near my house. I did a full-throttle plaid launch and my partner made some sort of noise I’ve never heard before. A tear ran sideways across my cheek. My phone departed the console.

I didn’t like the rest of the car primarily because of the dopey signals, yoke, and gear selector but if you’re fine with those elements of the S then you should test drive the plaid. The experience is indescribable.
Fortunately, you can swap the yoke for a wheel whereas in 2021, no real options. The gear selector still sucks but Enhance auto (maker of S3XY buttons) is working on stalks that may replace gear selector and the turn signals. You can use little buttons to help find the turn signals quicker, but they still are bad on roundabouts.

All the poor SOBs buying the new 3 are getting stuck with the same hideous controls the S/X have now.

Reactions: mtndrew1
Fortunately, you can swap the yoke for a wheel whereas in 2021, no real options. The gear selector still sucks but Enhance auto (maker of S3XY buttons) is working on stalks that may replace gear selector and the turn signals. You can use little buttons to help find the turn signals quicker, but they still are bad on roundabouts.

All the poor SOBs buying the new 3 are getting stuck with the same hideous controls the S/X have now.

It's obviously not for everyone, but in little over a month, I've gotten to the point where I prefer the new setup. To each his own though.

It's obviously not for everyone, but in little over a month, I've gotten to the point where I prefer the new setup. To each his own though.
A lot depends on the environment. I have to do like a 6 point turn to get in my garage and the selector and yoke were terrible for that, especially if was in a hurry. My garage is tight on a busy alley off a busy street. Not to mention the auto gear selection tells me to go forward when leaving the garage with the wall just a foot from the nose of the car. :cool:

A lot depends on the environment. I have to do like a 6 point turn to get in my garage and the selector and yoke were terrible for that, especially if was in a hurry. My garage is tight on a busy alley off a busy street. Not to mention the auto gear selection tells me to go forward when leaving the garage with the wall just a foot from the nose of the car. :cool:
I have the same problem. I back my car into a very narrow spot off a narrow drive. Takes 5-6 forward/back turns. The screen setup was terrible for that. I found it fine everywhere else.

But..soon they will have real ambient lighting!