Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are folks getting a car to use while their car in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla: sorry, we're all out of loaners
Me: what about those cars in the back....

Tesla: um...I don't think you want those..those have a limited top speed..
Me: gimme gimme gimme

Tesla: ......
Me:

View attachment 578845
I'd sooner take one of those than a rideshare to somewhere they won't pick me back up from. Pass.

I've been driving Tesla for 6 years now (3x Model S's, and now the X), I absolutely love driving the car, but this will probably be my last one I buy and drive. The service experience over that time has gone from amazing to completely depressing. Its impossible to get a hold of the service folks, and the app is not as useful as they believe. If its your only car then Uber credits really don't work. Service is how car companies keep their customers, constant bad experience in service is equivalent to constant bad experience with the brand.

Personally I don't care for the excuse that service isn't a profit center for them, their profit here doesn't matter in the slightest to me, what matters is communication and performance. It should not be loaner car roulette when you arrive for scheduled service.

My previous vehicles, Volvo and Subaru, always had loaners available without fail and the service folks worked to keep your service business because they knew you could just go to a different dealership 15 miles away.

Now whenever my car is in for service, the experience always has me looking at what else is out there especially if I have to use Uber.

I'm a bit more grumpy right now because my X has been in service for nearly 3 weeks now with what started as a 12v battery failure on a Saturday, it was towed to service by Tesla roadside support,
- they lost the key and want me to convince the tow company to by a new one (tow company says they gave tesla the key).
- I couldn't reach anyone at the service center the following Monday to verify the car made it there
- Got through to them on Tuesday and they didn't know the car was there
- Called me on Wednesday to pick it up, got there an the car had no networking or audio
- They worked on it for a bit before they said take it home as is (no audio / alerts) while they wait for the MCU2 I ordered to arrive
- An hour later they came out with keys and gave me a loaner because at this point, I assume as they were going to drive the car out to me, the MCU completely failed.
- Its now going on week 3 and there hasn't been a word since I got the loaner on the status of the car.

***** I got the loaner after hearing them adamantly tell one nice customer they didn't have any available, and 5 minutes later give the next, albeit louder, customer a loaner, I was surprised to get a loaner just a bit after that.

So it comes down to the experience, continued negative experience post purchase will push people to other brands.

I've been driving Tesla for 6 years now (3x Model S's, and now the X), I absolutely love driving the car, but this will probably be my last one I buy and drive. The service experience over that time has gone from amazing to completely depressing. Its impossible to get a hold of the service folks, and the app is not as useful as they believe. If its your only car then Uber credits really don't work. Service is how car companies keep their customers, constant bad experience in service is equivalent to constant bad experience with the brand.

Personally I don't care for the excuse that service isn't a profit center for them, their profit here doesn't matter in the slightest to me, what matters is communication and performance. It should not be loaner car roulette when you arrive for scheduled service.

My previous vehicles, Volvo and Subaru, always had loaners available without fail and the service folks worked to keep your service business because they knew you could just go to a different dealership 15 miles away.

Now whenever my car is in for service, the experience always has me looking at what else is out there especially if I have to use Uber.

I'm a bit more grumpy right now because my X has been in service for nearly 3 weeks now with what started as a 12v battery failure on a Saturday, it was towed to service by Tesla roadside support,
- they lost the key and want me to convince the tow company to by a new one (tow company says they gave tesla the key).
- I couldn't reach anyone at the service center the following Monday to verify the car made it there
- Called me on Wednesday to pick it up, got there an the car had no networking or audio
- They worked on it for a bit before they said take it home as is (no audio / alerts) while they wait for the MCU2 I ordered to arrive
- An hour later they came out with keys and gave me a loaner because at this point, I assume as they were going to drive the car out to me, the MCU completely failed.
- Its now going on week 3 and there hasn't been a word since I got the loaner on the status of the car.

***** I got the loaner after hearing them adamantly tell one nice customer they didn't have any available, and 5 minutes later give the next, albeit louder, customer a loaner, I was surprised to get a loaner just a bit after that.

So it comes down to the experience, continued negative experience post purchase will push people to other brands.

there is a sense in which I cannot but agree with you. It's unfortunate in one sense that they did used to have such great service. Kind of got used to that! If the cars weren't so very, very good, I would look elsewhere too. The problem is every time I look elsewhere, I realized it's just not as good. oh well! Maybe now that they've got more cash they can start to hire more service people.

another thought, they really need to separate service of the lower price cars from the higher priced cars. I know Elon likes to think of himself as an egalitarian, but the world is just not like that. It's time to up the ante! And just so things are clear, I am by no means wealthy. I realize I probably won't be able to afford the better cars. But, some people can, and they should get to have the service that the price pays for.

I agree with you 100%. This will likely be my last Tesla as well. If they treat customers like this, I don’t give a s****t how good their cars are.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
another thought, they really need to separate service of the lower price cars from the higher priced cars. I know Elon likes to think of himself as an egalitarian, but the world is just not like that. It's time to up the ante! And just so things are clear, I am by no means wealthy. I realize I probably won't be able to afford the better cars. But, some people can, and they should get to have the service that the price pays for.

What does this mean? Consider that a pre-facelift S tends to go for about the same as your average new or lightly used 3.

These are all premium cars and while I consider our XSR to be more upscale, it certainly has its drawbacks compared to my P3D.

What does this mean? Consider that a pre-facelift S tends to go for about the same as your average new or lightly used 3.

These are all premium cars and while I consider our XSR to be more upscale, it certainly has its drawbacks compared to my P3D.

Quite right. I bought my S used 4 years ago. It only had 38,000 miles on it and was under full warranty. The service I got was phenomenal. Now, I'm lucky if I can get a call back like everybody else. And that's the problem. If somebody buys a brand new car for $100,000, they ought to get some really good service. Sure, if us poor plebeians buy cars that are only $40,000, maybe we don't get the same level of service. it'll be up to Tesla to decide how that goes. And, in case you were wondering, I don't see this ever happening with Tesla. I just think it would be a good idea.

Same terrible experience with service as others here. My last visit they actually didn’t have the parts needed to perform the AP upgrade I scheduled weeks in advance and still wouldn’t offer me a loaner. Service has fallen so far, what happened to Elon’s promise that everyone will get incredible loaners, even better than the car they drive? Uber credits during a pandemic is just an insult to injury. Love the car but the service is an embarrassment in my opinion.

I agree with you 100%. This will likely be my last Tesla as well. If they treat customers like this, I don’t give a s****t how good their cars are.

Seconded & Thirded. These will be our last due to the service centers. We also no longer discuss Tesla with anyone who asks. We tell them don't bother, service sucks.
it starts with the passive aggressive once a day doesn't solve anything texting that I REFUSE to do. I write "calls only" now. I will not discuss anything via text.
Next is the lack of respect when you have an issue that should be under warranty and it's not. Simple, less than $50 issues. Wipers even failing at 6 months. $60 part on a $85k car. that's not about the car, it's about respect for the person who paid you for it.
and loaners. I BOUGHT A CAR. I need A CAR. Again, respect. Uber whatever thingy I've never and will never use, such disrespect.

Last edited:
Took my X in this week on Tuesday around 4 PM for an AC repair. Very simple mostly contactless process. The only hitch was figuring out I needed to scan a QR code to sign in through my phone, but once I did I was helped immediately. Super nice service rep, who got me squared away with a loaner Model S. Since I'd never driven an S before (and there are some differences), he answered the questions I had. He also told me they'd text me an update by midday the next day stating when they were starting their diagnostic.

Like clockwork I got a text midday on Wednesday. Turned out the repair was very straightforward (evaporator temperature sensor) and I received another text at 3:30 PM with the root cause and that they had repaired and tested it. I arrived a little before 5 PM and they knew I was there (I think it was because my loaner had arrived at the Service Center. I got a text message telling me exactly what to do and I was out of there in less than five minutes. Turned my loaner key in the Dropbox and used the app to unlock my X and the driver key was under the seat (as mentioned in their text).

Just sharing this story as I KNOW there are places where Tesla service sucks (I believe most of the stories), but there are places where service is great. I've had a mobile Ranger come to my house in Frisco, TX to fix a FWD door sensor that cropped up on my 2nd day of ownership (but it was a painless quick fix, and he was super nice). The story above was for the Plano, TX Service Center.

• Love
Regarding loaners, this is a very regional and SC-to-SC thing. I have always received a loaner.

Next is the lack of respect when you have an issue that should be under warranty and it's not. Simple, less than $50 issues. Wipers even failing at 6 months. $60 part on a $85k car. that's not about the car, it's about respect for the person who paid you for it.

This is my biggest issue with Tesla Service Centers now. I have a Model X that is still under full factory warranty. Yet, they recently started to pushback HARD every time I have a warranty issue. Threats of diagnostic fees (probably not legally binding since I purchased in 2017) to dissuade me from making warranty claims are the icing on the cake. This is a clearly an initiative from Corporate to cut costs which is a huge downside to the non-dealer model.

Until they have real competition, this will not improve. However, I struggle with buying a non-Tesla. The product is so great, it is hard to switch to anything else. What is next for you?

• Love
Uber whatever thingy I've never and will never use, such disrespect.

Because YOU don't like the vendor they've chosen for this service, it's disrespectful?

It's like going to a Cadillac dealer and saying "I'm not getting in your GMC van!"

I don't doubt you've had service issues... but texts aren't disrespectful. Uber isn't disrespectful. That reeks of DYKWIA - respect goes two ways ...

I can see texts being fine and in some instances it clarifies things. In written words.

Loaners are where I draw the hard line though (especially with my routine, lack thereof) Like @SabrToothSqrl mentioned.

We bought a car, not a bus pass: Especially in this market segment, there is an expectation there should be a car for you to use whenever a service visit is overnight at least if not when a longer than reasonable waiting period in a lounge (if they even open those anymore)

Reactions: E Dizzle and VikH
We bought a car, not a bus pass: Especially in this market segment, there is an expectation there should be a car for you to use whenever a service visit is overnight at least if not when a longer than reasonable waiting period in a lounge (if they even open those anymore)

I agree, and I admit that my expectations are shaded by my local SC policies...

- Same-day service gets Uber credits.
- Planned overnight work get loaners.

And that's why I'm not opposed to Uber credits instead of a shuttle van. I don't expect a loaner for same-day service - providing a shuttle service (whether it's Uber or dude-in-van) makes sense for same-day to me. Multi-day, yes, loaners should be provided.

I apologize to yourself & @SabrToothSqrl for not clarifying that. I've got no issue with Uber credits for same-day work, where a traditional dealership would use a shuttle. Beyond that - yes - wholly agree on a loaner vehicle. I think the above policy is fair to all parties - it's fair for the customer, and also helps the SC plan their loaner pools & appointments accordingly.

To all the folks saying they are getting great service at their SCs- you understand this is temporary, right? Highest concentration of Teslas is in So Cal, SCs are overwhelmed hence crappy attitude and barriers to service. As Tesla keeps selling more and more MYs, Cybertruck, etc., this will be everywhere soon. So don't get too comfortable.

• Funny
To all the folks saying they are getting great service at their SCs- you understand this is temporary, right? Highest concentration of Teslas is in So Cal, SCs are overwhelmed hence crappy attitude and barriers to service. As Tesla keeps selling more and more MYs, Cybertruck, etc., this will be everywhere soon. So don't get too comfortable.
That’s just more impetus to provide a better experience.

With Tesla- in theory, not in practice.
Fair point but if we continue being honest on surveys and making our likes and dislikes known surely this will translate.

Example: A brand of vehicle I sell recently started putting a minimum mileage and age limit on vehicles punched as loaners on when they can be sold to preserve loaner fleet numbers and keep customer service on the up.