Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Model X second hands cheaper on the East Coast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just started looking a couple of weeks ago for Model X cars in the $60K range. Close to Los Angeles I'm seeing mostly 2016's with a couple of 2017's. On the East coast, I''m seeing a few 2018's as well.

Is it a coincidence or this there a logic behind it? I might as well go out East for a 1-2 year newer car :)

I just started looking a couple of weeks ago for Model X cars in the $60K range. Close to Los Angeles I'm seeing mostly 2016's with a couple of 2017's. On the East coast, I''m seeing a few 2018's as well.

Is it a coincidence or this there a logic behind it? I might as well go out East for a 1-2 year newer car :)

If your looking at north east cars please keep in mind they will not be in same condition as a California car or a Florida car... Salted roads and snow = Rust/corrosion. This doesnt go for just Tesla but all car, so that might be a reason for lower price?

If your looking at north east cars please keep in mind they will not be in same condition as a California car or a Florida car... Salted roads and snow = Rust/corrosion. This doesnt go for just Tesla but all car, so that might be a reason for lower price?

Yup, the salt really eats up the exhaust system and steel body panels on those Model X's.

Oh, wait a sec.

I lived in NY for close to 20 years so I certainly remember those roads + the salt after a snowstorm.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I will be looking for this X throughout the country as opposed to LA only, can't hurt to see what else is out there.

Thank you all!

Aluminum rusts now?

No. because rust requires a iron. But aluminum does corrode and exfoliate where it starts splitting and peeling off like tree bark. Not uncommon on aircraft which is what I have seen. You usually spray some sort of protectorant into wings on aircraft. If you are hangared in an area with high humidty you have to do this more often. In the desert SW maybe never. One reason for the aircraft graveyards in Tucson area.

Also, anyone know if Tesla uses something like zinc chromate primer on the S and X panels.

No matter what the car is made of, brutal East Coast weather and driving conditions are much harder than the mild/dry California climate.

Road salt gets into the carpeting, brakes, electronics, wiring, motors etc.

Same with Florida cars that are parked near Salt air with high humidity.

California and dry area states usually are worth a little more.