Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are RWD really being fulfilled within 4 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered mine last Friday 9/12 in Texas and they said it was ready on Sunday 9/14 and was being shipped to Houston yesterday 9/15 for final inspection. My concern is that the vin is in the 56k range and was manufactured in July and I asked about that and they did not give me an explanation why.

Is that something that I should be concerned about? Why would a 3 month old model 3 still be sitting around? It seems like it should have been made in the last month or so. Mine is RWD black with autopilot, the basic configuration. The IDA seemed to ignore my question about whether it was a rejected or cancelled car, and I did not see the VIN in the carfax database. It may be good to go, but it seems like it has more history than what I was told. Originally they said it was onsite, so I assumed in Dallas, but the advisor seems to be vague. Will have my Fort Worth service advisor look into it tomorrow.

I ordered mine last Friday 9/12 in Texas and they said it was ready on Sunday 9/14 and was being shipped to Houston yesterday 9/15 for final inspection. My concern is that the vin is in the 56k range and was manufactured in July and I asked about that and they did not give me an explanation why.

Is that something that I should be concerned about? Why would a 3 month old model 3 still be sitting around? It seems like it should have been made in the last month or so. Mine is RWD black with autopilot, the basic configuration. The IDA seemed to ignore my question about whether it was a rejected or cancelled car, and I did not see the VIN in the carfax database. It may be good to go, but it seems like it has more history than what I was told. Originally they said it was onsite, so I assumed in Dallas, but the advisor seems to be vague. Will have my Fort Worth service advisor look into it tomorrow.
how many miles on the odometer ? 3 months IMO isn't old unless it somehow has miles on it

It just says 50 on the paperwork. I was just wondering why it has been sitting around and if it was a car that was reworked or rejected by another buyer. Its not a deal breaker, but with how many cars they produce and ship, I was wondering why it got left behind. The IDA seemed to avoid answering my questions on that front.

It just says 50 on the paperwork. I was just wondering why it has been sitting around and if it was a car that was reworked or rejected by another buyer. Its not a deal breaker, but with how many cars they produce and ship, I was wondering why it got left behind. The IDA seemed to avoid answering my questions on that front.
The paperwork says 50 for all of them.
Could be any number of reasons it hasn't been delivered to someone yet. It may have been scheduled for delivery to someone else who ended up cancelling. I think all TX cars go to a staging area to ensure all the paperwork is complete before they get shipped into the state, maybe this one was sent there and has been waiting for someone to order that configuration. Maybe it had sat in a showroom somewhere as a display.

Why would a 3 month old model 3 still be sitting around?
Many of the Dallas-bound cars have been sitting in the BNSF rail yard at Alliance as they work through the delivery hump. It's probably not a FIFO system; more likely, a LIFO system (or, to the point, a FILO system). So yours was probably among the first to arrive, sitting at the back of the storage lot, and finally got cleared out when you happened to order. I wouldn't worry excessively, but in your shoes I would go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's acceptable. It's a hell of a car.

I took delivery on September 21, vin 76xxx. Why was it shipped to Houston for final inspection--are you picking it up there? Also, it's month 10 (October).

I don't have those answers and am still waiting to here back from the IDA. I finished my bank paperwork yesterday so the ball will be rolling soon. I will be picking up in Dallas and I was told it has to be shipped in from out of state elsewhere for Texas deliveries for legal reasons, but not 100% certain on that. I live close to Alliance so may do a map check to see if I can find where they might be storing them, but not a priority. Just a little fuzzy on the details. My Fort Worth adviser just said it was at a Service Center, but not what location or any further reasons why. I assume it came from out of state since it was shipped to Houston first before Dallas. I meant to have October on my dates also.

Now i am pissed. They remove the LR and now its a mid range, but more importantly the shipping time frame has now increased. My electrician was supposed to come today to evaluate the new plan for the coop
You can still order the LR rear wheel drive for the next week or two, you just can't do it on the site. I'd call your local service center or the customer service number and they can probably hook you up. They'll probably go fast though so I'd do it quickly.

Reactions: Dana1
I ordered last Monday and am picking up on Sunday. Considered saving 4K and switching to midrange, but not confident it will be ready before the end of the year. And sooner or later the extra 40 miles may come in handy. But I could understand someone deciding to switch.

I ordered a Long-Range, RWD on Tues. (Oct. 16), and literally nothing has happened since then - No delivery advisory assigned; No VIN yet; my account page still has the option to "Edit my Design". Is that normal or should I start to be concerned?