Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the premium upgrades worth $5,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just placed our order for an MS a couple of days ago. We initially opted to pay $5,000 extra for the HEPA filter/bioweapon defense mode, heated back seats and steering wheel, and the upgraded sound system. Now I'm second guessing that decision. All we really want is HEPA/bioweapon defense mode. $5,000 is awfully steep for that. I'm thinking about changing to order to remove the premium upgrades package. Any thoughts or advice?

• Helpful
Reactions: AvengerBB
When I got mine, the winter package was by itself at $1000. That’s all I wanted with the glass roof and the Dual motors...and EAP....and the red paint.

You can put the filter in yourself. I bought one online recently although it’s not hepa but you can get it from tesla if you really want it to be hepa.

The package would be a waste of money if all you want is the filter. But you may regret it late if you don’t get the package. Buy once, cry once.

You can install the HEPA filter yourself (Bioweapon is just preset, can do it without the fancy button on the screen) for $150+tax. See this thread for all the options: How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

I ordered the HEPA filter directly from Tesla and installed myself. Save the $5K, do the above, and if you so wish to update the audio...any audio shop would be able to help for a fraction of the remaining $$.

YMMV, depends on use case.

We didn't get the winter package, which now i'm kicking myself for, it's nice to have that heated steering on cold days and be able to quickly defrost your windows.
We initially thought HEPA filter was enough.
I think it's a steal, they bundled everything together now.
our premium package also didn't come with upgraded sound system back then.

Unless you really value the heated steering wheel, I would skip it. The audio upgrade isn't very impressive from what I hear, so for similar money you could get something much better.

As others have mentioned, there are threads on here about adding a HEPA filter, which gets you 99% of the benefit.

IMO, now that the lighting upgrades and power lift gate are standard, the PUP isn't worth it.

Reactions: ucmndd
We just placed our order for an MS a couple of days ago. We initially opted to pay $5,000 extra for the HEPA filter/bioweapon defense mode, heated back seats and steering wheel, and the upgraded sound system. Now I'm second guessing that decision. All we really want is HEPA/bioweapon defense mode. $5,000 is awfully steep for that. I'm thinking about changing to order to remove the premium upgrades package. Any thoughts or advice?
the 5k price tag is onerous but the way the features are bundled you're left with few choices, either you pay or you do without. that is your decision. the options I passed on were I didn't get a P edition nor did I get the air suspension. but I did get the upgraded package that was available when I bought my cars. we are all different and only you can decide what works for you.

You can install the HEPA filter yourself (Bioweapon is just preset, can do it without the fancy button on the screen) for $150+tax. See this thread for all the options: How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

I ordered the HEPA filter directly from Tesla and installed myself. Save the $5K, do the above, and if you so wish to update the audio...any audio shop would be able to help for a fraction of the remaining $$.

This sounds like the way to go. But does opening up the front of the car like that void the warranty?

I think the literal answer is that the PUP is not "worth it," at least not to me. But the hardest piece for me to give up would be the cold weather package. I use the heated steering wheel often in the cold weather (already used it once in the past few days as fall turns chilly here), and my elderly mother loves the heated rear seats when she rides there. Since I have lived here all my life and never had heated steering wheel before, i can live without it, but I would also worry about the lack of heated washer nozzles. (My previous several cars had heated washer nozzles, hoses and fluid tank as standard equipment, so it seems chintzy of Tesla to make us pay $5000 to get those features.)
The other overpriced package (not that you asked) is the autopilot, in my view. I feel no particular need for functionality beyond what AP1 provides, and to get that would cost a lot more than AP1 did when i bought it. between the two, that is $10,000 added to the price of the car -- a pretty big whack if one is only interested in a portion of what is in those option packages. Another reason to hang onto my 2015 car when the lease runs out, I think...

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

That thread deserves a gold star. It’s amazing what some people in the Tesla community will discover and then share with others.

Someone in the thread successfully installed the filter themselves AND got their SC to add in the bioweapon button. Save yourself the $5K and use a portion of that money to get a clear bra on your car instead. That is more useful.

I say remove the package. You can upgrade the audio later on for less. You can add bioweapon on your own and the heated seats in the back not really worth it for $5k. If there was a cold weather option like there used to be for like $1k, I’d do it.

Reactions: David29