Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are there 2 air filters that need to replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called about having cabin filter changed and the Tesla rep said there is a "car filter" also. In the app under service he said to go to "exterior" and there was no filter choice so I just type din "air filter". I assumed there is only a cabin air filter. Before I schedule service I want to know if there are 2 diff filters? Personally I don't think he knew what he was talking about unless some filter is needed before air hits the battery. Thx.
Was going to do it myself but seemed a pain

Last edited:
I called about having cabin filter changed and the Tesla rep said there is a "car filter" also. In the app under service he said to go to "exterior" and there was no filter choice so I just type din "air filter". I assumed there is only a cabin air filter. Before I schedule service I want to know if there are 2 diff filters? Personally I don't think he knew what he was talking about unless some filter is needed before air hits the battery. Thx.
Unless you have a 2020 or older Model 3, it's super easy to change the cabin air filters by yourself. I've got the procedure down pat (unfortunately, due to frequent cleaning of the AC evap cuz of terrible smells) and can swap filters in about 5-6 minutes.

BTW you could buy the filters from amazon, these particular ones look exactly like the OEM filters. Amazon.com

As others mentioned, the Model 3/Y uses two cabin filters, one stacked on top of another. It's sold in the store here and also has a video on how to replace it:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-air-filter

The later Model Y also has an external HEPA filter, but the Model 3 does not. Here's the replacement procedure for the Model Y HEPA filter:
Model Y Do It Yourself | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Recently changed the 2 filters for the 3rd time due to the stink from the evaporator coils.
My car is leased and wont be doing again before turn in.
Filters are in a poor position and you need to bend your body in strange ways to access.
Pain in the arse.