Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any mods that improve steering feel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Too funny! :cool:

71A7Tr09vSL._AC_SL1015_.jpg

How is it illegal for a Jeep to have its tires sticking out beyond its fenders a little bit, but it's perfectly OK to put this monstrosity in your car? How does one even find the wheel? Especially when drunk.

The new M3 is longer than my dad's old E39. It's ridiculous. They've completely forgotten the people who built the brand's image in the first place, choosing instead to focus on the 90-pound suburbanite mother you see sawing away at the steering wheel in an attempt to execute a 50-point turn in the Kroger parking lot.

Until last year, BMWs had been in my family for decades, starting with my grandpop's 1600. I used to secretly take out my dad's 5 Series before I even had a license - it's the car that got me into cars to begin with. It just felt completely different from all the other crap I'd driven at that age. Now that they're whoring out the brand for all its worth, I'm finding more interest in cars like the Golf R & Civic Type R. This rumored upcoming mid-engined Elantra N is also quite intriguing/hilarious... and of course the Tesla which I didn't even consider as an option until I drove one.

BMW you can GFY for all I care. Oh and some recent advertising lulz in case anyone missed it:

BMW Pushes Weirdly Hostile Marketing Campaign to Say You're Dumb for Thinking the iX Is Ugly

EmjfAQgXIAE6Uku

This is a BMW... :cool:

p90236608_highres_the-bmw-m3-csl-e46-0-e1539169175183.jpg

The E90 specifically had super heavy and direct steering. When I was working in a BMW indy shop we often had people ask if there was something wrong with the car because the steering is so heavy! Porsche has been working some magic with EPS for a while now and it is mind-boggling to compare it with other EPS cars which feel like a shopping cart.
I own 2 Porsches with EPS and the steering feel and response is amazing. (2021 Cayenne GTS & 991.2 911)

Agreed on the BMW comments. I've been a big fan for a while and kept hoping they would get back to making more enthusiast oriented sport sedans, but have been disappointed with each new generation released. Before getting my model 3, I noted that BMW is coming out with what is supposed to be a competitor (the i4). I didn't think it was worth waiting in order to make a comparison, because it will be uglier, more expensive, and almost certainly not drive as well.

Reactions: Dolemite
I owned every generation of 3-Series from E30 to F30, including many M's. Steering feel in BMW's was always really good - until the F30. The F30 was honestly a pretty terrible car in every regard. The F80 M3 was actually really good, although not terribly inspiring. The E90 steering feel, M or non-M, is pretty good, and was hydraulic.

Unfortunately, I will never own another BMW. Maintenance costs and unnecessary complexity just keep getting worse, and the new generation designs are utterly awful. BMW has truly lost their way. I will not be surprised if they are out of business in the next 15 years, along with a handful of legacy automakers.

Volkswagen, in my opinion, is the biggest contender to Tesla at this time, and will be moving forward. Part of me still wants to buy a GT4 or GT3 Porsche.

To answer your question - definitely start with tires. Then the MPP FCAB's. MPP Sports Coilovers are an excellent option, though the Comfort's are great too depending on your use case.

I think the way to go is to have a Tesla for daily duties and a Porsche for driving feel and enjoyment. They will be complimenting rather than competing for one's garage space IMO.