Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any radar detector mounts for the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is the way I mounted my R4. My priorities are the GPS-related features for speed and red light camera warnings. I am less concerned about radar and laser, so any reduced sensitivity from mounting it high was fine by me. I mounted it as high as possible while still clearing the camera/mirror housing and sun visor. I started with an R8, but it required me to mount it much lower because the R8 is wider and taller. As you can see in the photo, the visor barely clears the R4.

The windshield is tinted (Air Blue 80) plus a dark a strip on top, but after research, I concluded that the 3M Dual Lock clear will hold just fine. I've always used Dual Lock to hold detectors in my other cars. They withstand the sun and test of time.

I am happy with this location because I am not a fan of hanging the detector below the mirror as it invites break-in, and obstructs the view. I did not like the dash or top-of-screen solutions either because I did not want the detector to stick out. The set up is working beautifully and still has plenty of sensitivity.

It is hard-wired to the right side and turns on when I sit in the driver's seat and step on the brake.

PXL_20230926_045910792.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230926_045805477.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Below is the way I mounted my R4. My priorities are the GPS-related features for speed and red light camera warnings. I am less concerned about radar and laser, so any reduced sensitivity from mounting it high was fine by me. I mounted it as high as possible while still clearing the camera/mirror housing and sun visor. I started with an R8, but it required me to mount it much lower because the R8 is wider and taller. As you can see in the photo, the visor barely clears the R4.

The windshield is tinted (Air Blue 80) plus a dark a strip on top, but after research, I concluded that the 3M Dual Lock clear will hold just fine. I've always used Dual Lock to hold detectors in my other cars. They withstand the sun and test of time.

I am happy with this location because I am not a fan of hanging the detector below the mirror as it invites break-in, and obstructs the view. I did not like the dash or top-of-screen solutions either because I did not want the detector to stick out. The set up is working beautifully and still has plenty of sensitivity.

It is hard-wired to the right side and turns on when I sit in the driver's seat and step on the brake.

View attachment 977214
View attachment 977215
FYI - when you try to remove the double-sided adhesive it will likely create a bubble under the tint.. and it can't be fixed without redoing the tint.

FYI - when you try to remove the double-sided adhesive it will likely create a bubble under the tint.. and it can't be fixed without redoing the tint.

Thanks. I knew the risk going in, but I've done this in the past on other cars with tint and have been able to remove the adhesive without affecting the tint. It takes a bit of heat and some patience. Slowly rolling it off works well. The quality of the tint and application matters too.

View attachment 977214
View attachment 977215
You are not concerned with RADAR? Why even have a RADAR detector?

How do you run the power cord?

You are not concerned with RADAR? Why even have a RADAR detector?

How do you run the power cord?

Correct--I am less concerned about RADAR and LiDAR. Though detection is helpful, I was willing to live with any reduced sensitivity from mounting it high. As I wrote, "My priorities are the GPS-related features for speed and red light camera warnings." That is why I have a GPS-capable detector.

Regarding the wiring, it is run through the headliner, down the a-pillar into the passenger side footwell. I followed the factory wiring along, tucked the wire under the factory and zip-tied the wire to the factory run.

I finally got tired of waiting for blendmount to come out with one for model Y. And decided to experiment with an old generic mirror mount that I have used one of the cars before. At worse, I figured I will destroy a ~$30-$40 old mount from Amazon.
It did require some modification with metal file or dremel, it you have one, and couple of coats of flat black spray paint. But I was able to mount it and adjust the rear view mirror to the position where I needed it. I am 6'2", so I have to tilt the mirror fairly high up.

Max
4.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Reactions: Chewy13
OK, it’s a well-made product, but the radar detector is damn near in the front seat with me because it’s so far out.

I’m not seeing how I made any mistakes assembling it…

I will tell you that the clamp does not work if it comes in from the right hand side.

There is literally no manner to adjust your mirror with the blend mount installed.

I’m gonna keep trying, but when I changed it to come in from the right-hand side so that I could adjust the mirror, I got this (which is like a foot and a half from my face):
IMG_1972.jpeg
IMG_1971.jpeg
IMG_1970.jpeg
IMG_1969.jpeg

I’m gonna fiddle with it some more but at the moment I’m completely unimpressed because the radar detector needs to rest with the face directly below the mirror or a little little further back so you can actually see it while you’re driving…

Edit: yeah, unless a miracle occurs someone was smoking dope because the mirror is not adjustable with the blend mount installed…

IMG_1974.jpeg

This is the view from the driver where my seat is looking through the rear view mirror… unless your passenger is a hot chick whose eyes you wanna look into all the time, the blend mount is not useful.

Part BV1-2040

IMG_1973.jpeg

Just to reiterate… The mirror is not adjustable with it installed.

Last edited:
Changing the clamp so that it comes in from the right hand side seems to have set the radar detector back a little bit further….

It’s still well at the edge of peripheral vision… you literally need to take your eyes off the road to see the radar detector is doing. (Valentine One v2)

IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg
IMG_1977.jpeg

On the flipside… You can adjust the mirror, not flawlessly, but an awful lot better than coming in from the left side…

I’m not sure this is a keeper.

Also, you do have to use just about every adjustment the mount has in order to get the radar detector level.

Reactions: Chewy13
Yep, but to do that, you gotta completely disassemble the thing and hope that you can turn the clamp around.

And the instructions are awful, but they’re not really helpful in that situation either.

Also note that the radar detector mount itself had to be turned around in order to get the extra half an inch of the thing not jutting forward.

It’s really not a perfect fit based upon the instructions and how it tells you to install it.

Ideally, the installation would have the radar detectors face even to the mirror or a little bit behind it, which is not how this seems to work.

If you want the mirror to be usable at all, you have to make sure the clamp comes in from the right hand side.

Then the mirror is usable in a roughly 40° ark tilting to the left.

If you try to use it how it’s pictured from the website, you’d come in from the left and clamp on the left-hand side. Making the mount and mirror completely unusable.

Looking at the instructions on the website it seems like they do want you to install it from the passenger side. Which means the "C" clamp opening would be pointing towards the driver side. I would be shocked if it wasn't tested before being sold/manufactured.

Can you post a picture of the rear stem, and how the clamp is mounted?