Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these paint / chips issues acceptable for a new car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the paint of my model 3 yesterday when I got home from delivery. I found lots of touched up spots, scratches and a chip in the windshield.

See pictures below, is it acceptable? Are your model 3’s like mine?

I will ask them to fix it. Im wondering if my car is the exception.

154C9BC9-3BCD-4AE4-A318-4B090CD51C4A.jpeg
C9348B42-3B2E-4624-8CAD-99AC57C15D31.jpeg
0694559E-175F-46F3-A71A-9C453AF57983.jpeg
53803B57-4194-42E4-AEC3-BF5795ED079D.jpeg
5A18D8AD-DDF4-4D6A-A342-AC46EF0A0306.jpeg
FA4E42C2-65DD-4D39-8CB6-0CBA0FA792FD.jpeg
9CCFB0A7-B3B2-4C1C-8796-5CFF4D1587D0.jpeg

Why I accepted the vehicle: not only I was rushed by the delivery person, but they put it in tents, that make it impossible to see defects. Everything "looks good" when you are on the spot. Only in specific lighting you can see all the issues that they tried to hide

Sorry to hear. On the three deliveries I’ve participated in I always greet the delivery advisor by letting them know I’ll be spending 45 minutes doing a pre-purchase inspection and I invite them to go find something else to do and let them know I’ll find them when I’m ready for next steps. You have to take control of the process, not let them do it. It’s your car, your money.

Hope they fix the paint issues...good luck with it.

Hard to tell from the pics but are those actual paint chips are just paint imperfections. You may be able to buff some of those out if you are not actually missing paint there.

I agree with you on how they present the car to you in a garage or tent with terrible lighting. I am sure that is by design. I am not a fan of the whole "drama and suspense when they walk you back and, tada here is your car." I would rather have it displayed out in the daylight so I can see it, especially a black car.

Wow... so glad my experience was different. I ordered on 6/1 and received a call that it arrived a the service center on 6/10. Unfortunately it was bad news as the delivery manager noticed come chips in the bumper. He texted me pictures and offered to have the bumper replaced with another one from the factory. I asked about the hood and windshield and he found more very minor defects (less than what OP showed) and offered to repaint and replace the windshield. I wasn’t happy with that and he completely understood and managed to find another vehicle with the same configuration that I was able to take delivery of today (6/14). I haven’t noticed any egregious issues with it so far - certainly nothing like what OP found.