Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are they going to try and charge for autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a used 2014 Model S P85D through Tesla's used car program almost a year ago. It has AP1 hardware only. The car was sold with "autopilot with convenience features" so I've had the "Autosteer (beta)" option and traffic aware cruise control and it works great.

Today I was messing around with the Tesla app and clicked on upgrades which I could've sworn was empty before but now I have the option of purchasing "Basic autopilot" (traffic aware cruise control and autosteer). Does that mean they are going to eventually disable the "beta" version and expect us to pay for it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200123-231108.png
    Screenshot_20200123-231108.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 95
Confirming as well, 2016 refresh 75. I’m assuming this is an error but who in the world is this targeted to? I thought tesla’s position is basic autopilot now standard because much safer than driving yourself per mile.

Aw man, c’mon Tesla! Don’t do this to me. The premium connectivity threat was enough of an annoyance, but taking away my autopilot? What’s next, my FUSC? Ability to receive OTA updates? All the things they told me were included with the car when I bought it are being threatened one by one.

Like the OP, I bought a 2014 P85D with AP1 used through Tesla almost a year ago, and (prompted by this thread) have made the same unpleasant discovery in the “upgrades” section of my Tesla app. I waited it out with the premium connectivity thing to see if they would actually take it away from me if I didn’t pay, and plan to do the same with this. Here’s hoping it was a mistake...

Reactions: 2012MS85 and NoirMS
Aw man, c’mon Tesla! Don’t do this to me. The premium connectivity threat was enough of an annoyance, but taking away my autopilot? What’s next, my FUSC? Ability to receive OTA updates? All the things they told me were included with the car when I bought it are being threatened one by one.

Like the OP, I bought a 2014 P85D with AP1 used through Tesla almost a year ago, and (prompted by this thread) have made the same unpleasant discovery in the “upgrades” section of my Tesla app. I waited it out with the premium connectivity thing to see if they would actually take it away from me if I didn’t pay, and plan to do the same with this. Here’s hoping it was a mistake...
yea, this AP for 3 grand after already having it is causing me to rethink owning a Tesla... I've saved about $3000 in gas and that's about to be a wash.... nickle and diming me back to an ICE if this continues...

Why bother taking stuff away from people retroactively? Is it really that much of a profit center? I recently helped a buddy buy a P85D through Tesla a few months ago that had the Ludicrous retrofit. Underlined P85D on rear badging and in MCU on the photos, but didn’t mention anything about Ludicrous on the website when he was purchasing, and 0-60 time was listed as 3.2 - I thought it was a simple mistake and encouraged him to buy the car, in part because of this perk. He had a few months of Ludicrous mode before discovering it had been downgraded to Insane a couple of weeks ago. He called Tesla and was told that despite having the hardware upgrade, the car wasn’t sold to him as being Ludicrous-equipped so they had to take it away.

Reactions: NoirMS
Why bother taking stuff away from people retroactively? Is it really that much of a profit center? I recently helped a buddy buy a P85D through Tesla a few months ago that had the Ludicrous retrofit. Underlined P85D on rear badging and in MCU on the photos, but didn’t mention anything about Ludicrous on the website when he was purchasing, and 0-60 time was listed as 3.2 - I thought it was a simple mistake and encouraged him to buy the car, in part because of this perk. He had a few months of Ludicrous mode before discovering it had been downgraded to Insane a couple of weeks ago. He called Tesla and was told that despite having the hardware upgrade, the car wasn’t sold to him as being Ludicrous-equipped so they had to take it away.
soon it'll be $49.99 a month if you want to keep regen braking...

Tesla seems to be on a profitability kick, so for example they changed supercharger billing from energy into battery to energy consumed by car (including HVAC, playing games or netflix, etc) - nothing unfair about it btw, but the fact that they are doing it now means they are looking for even small sources of profit (less than a $1 per charging session). Most "good will" repairs have been eliminated, as were loaners for everyone, etc. They also pulled some sleezy stuff like taking away transferable lifetime FUSC if the car is sold through a dealer, refused to acknowledge screen yellowing was a manufacturing defect, etc - so desperately trying to cut costs.

All that said, I wouldn't panic or spin up conspiracy theories about this unless someone who paid for it actually has their autopilot convenience package taken away. As for people who bought CPO and ACP was listed, well, that could happen as described in comment #8, as I can see combing through auditing and validating who paid for what option vs. what they have enabled would be consistent with the profit hunt, and probably more profitable than the billing change adding few cents to every supercharge session, so very plausible.

When companies get desperate, they do desperate things - I once got a registered letter from an ICE dealer who sold me a car 4 years prior, telling me I owe them $500 because they "forgot to charge me" some fee. I laughed them off, deal is a deal, done when they cached the check and gave up ownership. I offered to reverse the transaction (they give me all of my money back, I give them back the car) but they didn't bite.

Your friend may be able to fight this if the photos of the car indicate that the car had ludicrous at the time of purchase. I actually just got done fighting with Tesla about this a couple weeks ago. I bought the car back in October and ludicrous mode was gone around new years. The second support person I talked with said they couldn't reenable it without ludicrous mode being on the MVPA. Fortunately I confirmed with my sales advisor that the car DID have ludicrous before I put down my deposit, and they put it back on the car a day or two later.

Reactions: NoirMS
Why do crack dealers give away free samples? To get one hooked! Let everyone try AutoPilot and realize how awesome and necessary it is to stress free driving. And then, once “sold” on the benefits of it, actually SELL it :rolleyes: Not saying I like it, but it’s pure genius marketing...even if we don’t like losing the free options, after getting hooked. As a $100+ Billion company, Tesla needs to show consistent profitability...and this may be how they do it. They’ve never been profitable for 4 consecutive quarters. But need to be to justify that level of market capitalization.

Confirmed - gone from upgrades section of app. Hopefully just a glitch. Meanwhile I am sitting at a supercharger (for the first time in a while, on a trip to the coast) with a warm battery at 30% full and maxed out my charging speed at 40 kW... a third of my previous max. Totally broken for road trips now...