Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are We Last Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand, Model S/X are in for a refresh. They will get the latest generations of motors, electronically controlled air suspension, a much faster computer, new screens and interior update. Range will be improved and charging will be even faster.

Imagine much of the technology that was developed in the latest Model 3 and upcoming Y will be integrated into their new design.

The innovations from Tesla are coming far faster than what is out from other manufacturers.

There are even thoughts that some of the newest technology from Maxwell will find it's way into this refresh.

In the big picture there is so much more right with the company than what is wrong.

Reactions: ‘Merica
Which is yet another example of all that is wrong with this company and the way it treats it's customers...

Jeff

Meh, I think there's a super-strong sense of S/X entitlement in these forums that presumes because we bought cars potentially years ago and spent $MANYDOLLARS on them, Tesla is somehow obligated to focus their software development efforts on a dwindling portion of the overall fleet FIRST as some sort of perpetual ball cupping for us legacy owners.

Vs. what every other company on the planet would do, focusing first on their newest product that also happens to represent 3/4 of the fleet.

It's just the way of the world. I fully expect things to change once the S/X refresh happens and becomes the "new" platform again.

In the big picture there is so much more right with the company than what is wrong.

You had a point up until this last sentence. Between the lies, the penny pinching, the incompetence... It's a wonder this company is even still in business. If it weren't for the awesome cars they make, they'd be toast. If they could stop being incompetent and corrupt they'd steamroll everyone else...

Jeff

Meh, I think there's a super-strong sense of S/X entitlement in these forums that presumes because we bought cars potentially years ago and spent $MANYDOLLARS on them, Tesla is somehow obligated to focus their software development efforts on a dwindling portion of the overall fleet FIRST as some sort of perpetual ball cupping for us legacy owners.

Vs. what every other company on the planet would do, focusing first on their newest product that also happens to represent 3/4 of the fleet.

It's just the way of the world. I fully expect things to change once the S/X refresh happens and becomes the "new" platform again.

Entitlement is probably the best word but it's earned in this case. I think about the original Roadster owners who have essentially be completely abandoned at this point... IMHO, Roadster owners have a right to be the most entitled and deserve better than what they're getting today and I'm not a Roadster owner and never have been.

Jeff

The good is that they are currently producing an ever increasing number of remarkable EVs. They constantly update their current fleet of cars. Nobody in the world is as doing as well as Tesla.

As usual, there will be lots of complaints from people that want Tesla to run the company they way THEY want it to be run. Perfect customer service, never a problem, perfect cars, never a failure.

Unfortunately this is not the way things work. Tesla is doing a good/great job, but if you wish to dwell on their shortcomings, you can make a case that there are many ways they could be doing better.

There will always be a disgruntled group of people that will pick at faults, no matter what you do...so Tesla will just continue to move forward.

PS. Jeff. How do you like your X100. Thinking of trading in my X75 on one when they do the refresh?

Last edited:
The good is that they are currently producing an ever increasing number of remarkable EVs. They constantly update their current fleet of cars. Nobody in the world is as doing as well as Tesla.

As usual, there will be lots of complaints from people that want Tesla to run the company they way THEY want it to be run. Perfect customer service, never a problem, perfect cars, never a failure.

Unfortunately this is not the way things work. Tesla is doing a good/great job, but if you wish to dwell on their shortcomings, you can make a case that there are many ways they could be doing better.

There will always be a disgruntled group of people that will pick at faults, no matter what you do...so Tesla will just continue to move forward.

Spoken like someone who's either significantly invested in TSLA or who's head is buried deep in the sand...

Look around here, there are mountains of examples of people being lied to, defrauded, cheated, treated like garbage. I was directly and blatantly lied to without recourse on my lease swap. Tesla doesn't care, the only thing they care about is the next Model 3 sucker, I mean customer...

I'm not expecting perfection, come on. What a completely ridiculous claim to make. However, do you really want me to list all of the lies that's come from just Elon himself? Where should I start? With FSD? With EAP? With the P90DL fiasco? Limiting DC fast charging? Model 3 production numbers? Denying warranty claims on defective screens because it costs too much to replace them...

If another automaker could come up with an actual competitive offering with a nationwide fast charging network like what Tesla has, Tesla would go bankrupt nearly overnight. The company is run that poorly by an army of incompetent and corrupt individuals. Lie, lie, lie, just get the sale, get the delivery number on the books for wall street.

Jeff

Entitlement is probably the best word but it's earned in this case. I think about the original Roadster owners who have essentially be completely abandoned at this point... IMHO, Roadster owners have a right to be the most entitled and deserve better than what they're getting today and I'm not a Roadster owner and never have been.

Jeff

I'm not sure the roadster owners are entirely abandoned as much as their cars are entirely feature complete and don't really have much more to add.

They made a new battery pack for the roadster, for example.

Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade

It would be nice if they offered retrofit kits for using more modern charging infrastructure, but charging one seems pretty covered by the after market.

Tesla seems to be on-the-hook for supporting the original RWD S and the 1st gen AWD S pre-refresh for a *really* long time; I just bought a 2016 "CPO" with a 4 year b2b warranty so that means I *hopefully* will get a working nice looking replacement screen in 2023 if mine bubbles up yellows or whatever; or a new MCU when the flash burns out; similarly the battery is warrantied until .... 2024; by then they will likely be either out of business or have totally nailed down the battery manufacture process and *if* my battery fails they'll replace it with whatever they're keeping around in the spares pool to satisfy fixing "legacy" model S repairs. Possibly they'll be refurbished old units, possibly they'll just be retrofit kits to address engineering shortcomings of the initial versions.

Different car companies have addressed their legacy customers in different ways; I believe you can get an old Porsche 356 or mercedes w123 repaired at a dealership while you likely wouldn't be able to get your minty toyota corona repaired at a dealership.

Supporting legacy customers is marketing; maybe tesla will do it "right" and maybe they won't.

Calm down people. I just saw on twitter (Profile: Dealer of Happiness) that the game will come to all S, X and 3 with the 2019.20.4 software update. There is a small video showing the game in action in a Model S or X.

Only question is what MCU is required... time will tell...

Calm down people. I just saw on twitter (Profile: Dealer of Happiness) that the game will come to all S, X and 3 with the 2019.20.4 software update. There is a small video showing the game in action in a Model S or X.

Only question is what MCU is required... time will tell...

I had a problem with his post and I also responded back. He lacks context.

It's NOT coming to all vehicle (S/3/X), it's coming to all MCU/2 Tesla's not ALL vehicle. I responded back to always include context otherwise he runs the risk of posting "fake news" as it will be interpreted with exactness (ALL = ALL).

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Welcome to the world of automotive emerging technology. You might not like it, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Let's assume that in 2023 the model X.2 and the model Y are being banged out at Camry and Accord volumes and the TestaTruck has made the F150 sales flacid. In that context, how many MCU1 and MCU2 S and X cars exist relative to all those mass market cars? They'll require a radically different software support environment and spare parts supply chain vs those higher volume cars.

From a software perspective, *any* car made by any other manufacturer is a legacy car as soon as it leaves the factory. My 2003 Audi did not see any firmware updates, to my knowledge. (At least no sanctioned ones).

In order for Tesla to continue selling the S and X and Roadster and other high margin cars, they will *have* to address this tension. They will either do so in the Toyota way (go to the shop down the street, bub) or they will address it in the Mercedes way. I'm pretty sure you can take *any* lexus to a lexus dealership and they'll be happy to take your money and install new factory parts on it....

My hope is that at some point in the future Elon will split the brand into
Tesla: boutique cars
Maxwell: High volume (or coffee)

Spoken like someone who's either significantly invested in TSLA or who's head is buried deep in the sand...

Look around here, there are mountains of examples of people being lied to, defrauded, cheated, treated like garbage. I was directly and blatantly lied to without recourse on my lease swap. Tesla doesn't care, the only thing they care about is the next Model 3 sucker, I mean customer...

I'm not expecting perfection, come on. What a completely ridiculous claim to make. However, do you really want me to list all of the lies that's come from just Elon himself? Where should I start? With FSD? With EAP? With the P90DL fiasco? Limiting DC fast charging? Model 3 production numbers? Denying warranty claims on defective screens because it costs too much to replace them...

If another automaker could come up with an actual competitive offering with a nationwide fast charging network like what Tesla has, Tesla would go bankrupt nearly overnight. The company is run that poorly by an army of incompetent and corrupt individuals. Lie, lie, lie, just get the sale, get the delivery number on the books for wall street.

Jeff
The P90D fiasco is still bothering me
I traded in an 85 battery for what my previous owner advisor said was a much better battery!
He swore up and down that the new 90 packs were state of the art and will outperform my 85kwh battery in both range and performance.

But what I got was a sh***y battery that may or may not be better performing than my old 85 but most definitely not better in range or charging speed.

They advertised speeds of 120kW and later throttled it to 94kW max! Sure that’s not a huge difference but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth and what’s worse is it completely turned my wife off the Tesla brand.

Now that our lease is extended on a month to month basis, I’m having a hard time convincing my wife to give tesla another shot, who wouldn’t after reading all these stories of terrible customer service.

• Love
Reactions: jeffro01
It does make it less true, as unlike traditional cars Teslas are sold and valued with the promise of continuous improvements, software updates, and future FSD capability.

That doesn't mean you should have expectations of new features that are beyond the computing capability present in your car (with the explicit exception of promised FSD features). Nor does it mean you should expect Tesla to prioritize development of new features for your aging car vs. those being currently produced, which is basically the sentiment behind of all of these "are we last again" whining threads.