Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you paying for premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the question is...Where and how does Inrix get their data.
INRIX get's its real-time data from about everything, including: 500 million consumer and fleet vehicles, mobile devices, mobile apps, parking lot operators, mobile carriers and smart meters, all in real-time, traffic signal timing, etc. They are almost ubiquitous.

The wild card is if Tesla took their traffic data sourcing in-house from INRIX. There was speculation about that a year or two ago.

Reactions: hmadsen
Yes I find traffic data from Google Maps on my iPhone more accurate, more recent with low latency. If a slowdown happens it is reflected within a minute in Google Maps.

I can't say the same with the data provided with Tesla's naviagation.

Reactions: hmadsen
... and it ABSOLUTELY SUCKS
Not to hijack the thread, but in what ways?

I am thinking about a Lyriq for a future car in the stable. One of the things that gives me heartburn is their Super Cruise subscription on top of an OnStar subscription. (It is difficult to get a straight answer on a Cadillac forum, since there is a heavy blind advocate culture on a lot of them.)

Not to hijack the thread, but in what ways?

I am thinking about a Lyriq for a future car in the stable. One of the things that gives me heartburn is their Super Cruise subscription on top of an OnStar subscription. (It is difficult to get a straight answer on a Cadillac forum, since there is a heavy blind advocate culture on a lot of them.)
Some years back I pleaded that I will never buy a GM product. In 2014 I purchased the first Chevy Volt, and I absolutely fell in love. So much so, I purchased 4 others since ( total of 5) , in 2017 Chevy SS, and now have an order on a Caddilac Blacking.
I can with all certainty say that GM's infotainment system totally suck. Bluetooth doesn't work half the time, remote app (that required OnStar subscription) that sounded like a jewel same.
It just doesn't work half the time

I don't know about Lyric, and hope they will improve the experience - but I won't bet on it.

Yes I find traffic data from Google Maps on my iPhone more accurate, more recent with low latency. If a slowdown happens it is reflected within a minute in Google Maps.

I can't say the same with the data provided with Tesla's naviagation.
Bummer, this was what i was afraid of.

It seems that nothing really beats the live traffic that google provides. Which offcourse should come as no surprise when they have a gazillion android devices with GPS receiver in the wild.

Isn't Tesla nav a google product?
I haven't paid attention to traffic comparison between tesla and iPhone - just don't drive enough to notice.
It just seems to me that the level of integration and its seamlessness of operation in Tesla is phenomenal. I just throw my phone on the charging pad and forget about it.
Never even remotely close this happened in any of the cars i owned in the past.

We paid for the premium plan in our Model Y. My wife's a visiting nurse and often has downtime between clients, so she loves being able to just sit in the car and watch Netflix on the big(ger) screen. I haven't tried Spotify yet but use Slacker Radio's 80s Alternative channel, a fair musical equivalent to Sirius XM's 1stWave. I do miss some of the 1stWave DJs though, so I'll use the XM app and Bluetooth to get the real deal instead from time to time (I have the subscription from our Ioniq). I wish Tesla had an XM app in the infotainment, as it would make it a lot easier to switch to Lithium whenever Morrissey or The Ramones come on. Having to reach for the phone to do it sucks, in the Ioniq it's a steering wheel toggle away. That's one bonus of the built-in Slacker, I can skip the stuff I don't want to hear, and downvote the stuff I really don't want to hear. If only I didn't miss the DJ banter. Also, I recently discovered my local AM station on TuneIn, so that's a plus of the premium package as well. I catch a high school classmate's call-in show when the timing's right, so was miffed at the lack of AM in the Y for the first couple of weeks.

I find that traffic visualization doesn't even show up half the time when I'm commuting. I do have it zoomed out to show the entire route so maybe traffic visualization only loads a small portion at a time. But I have hit traffic and the navigation would show literally no traffic at times. It's been 2 weeks since I've stopped using Premium and don't miss it at all.

It is not included - need your own accounts.
Tesla premium is essentially a cellular data service
And it does not even give you the ability to use the car as a hotspot for other devices as far as i have understood.

Feels a bit cheap, my previous EV, also had connectivity, it was included, and it was able to act as a hotspot for other devices. I think there were a cap on how much data could be used, but this car only cost about half of what the Tesla does.

I wonder if there is a limit on the amount of data you can use in a month, for example with Netflix.

We have netflix, so there is the potential for A LOT of data usage as video uses "a lot"

Might be why they have installed wifi on SC, to take the pressure off of the data on the cars dataplan.

My free month's trial ends on 1st April and at the moment I am certainly going to subscribe. I think in the UK its a monthly subscription payment but I'd rather pay it all up front to have one less monthly bill if at all possible.
I think it is only in the US, you can get a yearly sub.

Here in Denmark, the price is ~$14 a month, and no yearly subscription option or reduced price for a year.