Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you planning to own post-warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

So I currently own an older Model S, and have considered getting a Model 3 or Model Y. As I typically own cars well past their original warranty, I either consider getting an extended warranty or roll the dice and pay up for any repairs. In the past I always rolled the dice since, as a gearhead, I could handle most repairs myself (my old BMW M5 was like getting a car and car-repair hobby all-in-one).

Unfortunately, with Teslas and, I suspect, most EVs these days, anything not common (like brakes/suspension/etc.) really requires the manufacturer (or dealer for other manufacturers) address the problem, so "DIY" is a lot less viable. Sure, there are a TINY number of shops, but they are not widely available - and not exactly cheap either. This all either results in simply paying the higher dealer/manufacturer prices or ponying up for the extended warranty.

When it comes to extended warranties, you usually have the choice between those offered by manufacturers or after-market. None are "cheap", but in general I think most would agree the former can be less "hassle" than the later. Again, we have a dilemma here in that Tesla no longer offers an extended warranty for ANY new Tesla product: S, A, 3 or Y. That forces owners into the (limited?) aftermarket. Not surprisingly, we are seeing a lot of "extended warranty" questions here on the forum now as the first Model 3s start to come off warranty (for anything other than drive units and batteries).

So, that brings me to the question in the title? Are you planning to keep the car post-warranty? Options I see include:

1. Roll the dice and keep car w/o warranty
2. Look for and purchase a 3rd party extended warranty (some are reputable, others, well...um, yeah)
3. Sell it and eat the depreciation and start over with car payments

Sure, the 5 year depreciation on a Model 3 is better than, say a BMW 3 series, but as you move beyond 5 years things can get very different when you compare an option where you keep the car and drop the coin for an extended warranty vs. "buying another car" and re-entering the steepest part of the depreciation curve.

I understand. of course, that some of you just sort of build "always having a car payment" into your life and find having the latest thing worth paying for!

(note: I'm assuming the current insanity in used car prices will, of course, not be permanent!)

Anyway, interested in your plans (and any differing opinions).
It's a really great question and one I thought about for a while. My first Tesla as a 2012 Model S that I purchased from the CPO program. It was a fantastic car and I hated to sell it, but when it got close to the end of the 4 year warranty, I did put it up for sale. Reading the recent postings on the drive unit thread, for me it was the right decision.

After the model S, I purchased a Model 3. It was a great car also, but I sold it before the warranty expired, mainly because I wanted a Y with a hatch back instead of the trunk on the 3.

Today we have 2 Model Y's in the garage (his and hers) and we plan to drive them each 4 or 5 years and then move up to whatever EV looks good at that time.

Good replies all. I do fear that we will see a lot of "Friggin' Tesla wants $$$ to replace X on my Model 3! My Camry/Accord/Subie never needed more than $ in 10 years!" posts in the coming year or two. Tesla parts (even on the "cheap" cars) strike me as - probably? - being priced like late model European mid/large luxury sedans. Folks may be in for a bit if a rude awakening.

Good replies all. I do fear that we will see a lot of "Friggin' Tesla wants $$$ to replace X on my Model 3! My Camry/Accord/Subie never needed more than $ in 10 years!" posts in the coming year or two. Tesla parts (even on the "cheap" cars) strike me as - probably? - being priced like late model European mid/large luxury sedans. Folks may be in for a bit if a rude awakening.
I had a C230 Sport Coupe for nearly 300K miles, that really was in almost perfect condition when I got rid of it. However, doing maintenance on it the way it needed to be done was not cheap - it had specific things that you needed to keep up with, and although not a lot of them, it could be expensive shop visits. Of course, those visits were cheaper than a car payment for a year. It was not a Camry that's only service was got "jiffy-lube oil changes every....3...no...5....awww, why not about 8,000 miles - I'm busy" as a few I know about.

I always figured if I got another year for that and was happy with it in the parking lot, it was a good deal. The C230 looked and ran great the whole time. I expect the 3 to be very similar to that over time. Unless the wife decides she wants a Y. :)

Happy with xcare, I presume? What was the cost of your particular warranty? I know today’s price is prob different, but just was wondering on a ballpark number.
Mine was I believe about 3800 for 10 year 100,000 add on. Had 27,000ish miles. Will hit the 10 years before I git the miles.

Very happy. Already used it several times. Couldn't be easier. Tesla does all the work and payment, and xcare reimburses me within days.

No phone calls or inspections or hassles

Mine was I believe about 3800 for 10 year 100,000 add on. Had 27,000ish miles. Will hit the 10 years before I git the miles.

Very happy. Already used it several times. Couldn't be easier. Tesla does all the work and payment, and xcare reimburses me within days.

No phone calls or inspections or hassles
so basically it's $3,800 upfront for anything non-battery/powertrain related as extended warranty (battery/powertrain would be covered by Tesla for 8 yrs/ 120k+ miles). that's pretty $$$. There's only so much non-battery/non powertrain related stuff which can break in the car and fall under that warranty... heck - a full screen replacement plus a new AC system in the car would likely still be cheaper than $3,800.

so basically it's $3,800 upfront for anything non-battery/powertrain related as extended warranty (battery/powertrain would be covered by Tesla for 8 yrs/ 120k+ miles). that's pretty $$$. There's only so much non-battery/non powertrain related stuff which can break in the car and fall under that warranty... heck - a full screen replacement plus a new AC system in the car would likely still be cheaper than $3,800.
There's a post somewhere where a guys Model Y heatpump died outside of warranty and the total cost with parts and labor was easily 4k. Post was on a Facebook Model Y group.

Attachments

• 273580945_10161696335934968_2873781129006916262_n.jpg
    273580945_10161696335934968_2873781129006916262_n.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Hello All,

So I currently own an older Model S, and have considered getting a Model 3 or Model Y. As I typically own cars well past their original warranty, I either consider getting an extended warranty or roll the dice and pay up for any repairs. In the past I always rolled the dice since, as a gearhead, I could handle most repairs myself (my old BMW M5 was like getting a car and car-repair hobby all-in-one).

Unfortunately, with Teslas and, I suspect, most EVs these days, anything not common (like brakes/suspension/etc.) really requires the manufacturer (or dealer for other manufacturers) address the problem, so "DIY" is a lot less viable. Sure, there are a TINY number of shops, but they are not widely available - and not exactly cheap either. This all either results in simply paying the higher dealer/manufacturer prices or ponying up for the extended warranty.

When it comes to extended warranties, you usually have the choice between those offered by manufacturers or after-market. None are "cheap", but in general I think most would agree the former can be less "hassle" than the later. Again, we have a dilemma here in that Tesla no longer offers an extended warranty for ANY new Tesla product: S, A, 3 or Y. That forces owners into the (limited?) aftermarket. Not surprisingly, we are seeing a lot of "extended warranty" questions here on the forum now as the first Model 3s start to come off warranty (for anything other than drive units and batteries).

So, that brings me to the question in the title? Are you planning to keep the car post-warranty? Options I see include:

1. Roll the dice and keep car w/o warranty
2. Look for and purchase a 3rd party extended warranty (some are reputable, others, well...um, yeah)
3. Sell it and eat the depreciation and start over with car payments

Sure, the 5 year depreciation on a Model 3 is better than, say a BMW 3 series, but as you move beyond 5 years things can get very different when you compare an option where you keep the car and drop the coin for an extended warranty vs. "buying another car" and re-entering the steepest part of the depreciation curve.

I understand. of course, that some of you just sort of build "always having a car payment" into your life and find having the latest thing worth paying for!

(note: I'm assuming the current insanity in used car prices will, of course, not be permanent!)

Anyway, interested in your plans (and any differing opinions).

Just chiming in...I will not do any extended warranty on our 2 Teslas. I didn't do them on our MB or BMW so I'm definitely not doing on the Teslas.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
There's a post somewhere where a guys Model Y heatpump died outside of warranty
Which means that's also a post about a car that was driven over 50K miles in under 2 years.
the total cost with parts and labor was easily 4k
The image you shared was $3,700, not over $4K. $3,900 with Tax, but you'll pay tax on a $3,800 warranty too, and deductibles.

Which means that's also a post about a car that was driven over 50K miles in under 2 years.

The image you shared was $3,700, not over $4K. $3,900 with Tax, but you'll pay tax on a $3,800 warranty too, and deductibles.
I was just saying that's just for the HVAC system. Knowing how many times average tesla owners visit our favorite service center, it'll bound to add up. I'm not advocating to get the extended warranty or not, just taking into consideration how stupidly expensive it is for HVAC service when compared to an ICE car.

Life takes twists and turns, and strategies that worked at one time don’t always hold.

If I review my car history (post college) …
* Pontiac - 5 years, 140k miles
* Nissan - 2 years, 30k miles (had 6 years, 100k miles on it already - was my wife’s - she got the new car)
Then I had a company car for 5 years, so those don’t count.
* Cadillac - 4 years, 50k miles
* Caddy #2 - 3 years, 30k miles — sold from under my lease to get into …
* Model 3 - 3 years, 40k miles so far

So yeah, I average 3 years in a car. But that’s all about to change.

My son turns 15 next week. Driving age here is 17. So I’m contemplating him driving the Model 3, and I’ll get a new car. That’d put me at 5 years on the 3. But that all depends on where he goes to school. If it’s local-ish, maybe I’ll pickup a cheap used Leaf or Bolt or something for him. Or, if it’s really far away, he won’t need a car at all for a while.

So we’ll see. But at a minimum, I’ll be driving this 3 for another two years. Possibly quite a bit longer if he doesn’t need the range.

Spot on! I could not have said this better. I am in the same boat (car) with over 150,000 miles.

Unfortunately, unlike @jjrandorin I can't wait for a car with a significant difference between a new MS and my own: it's already here and I really don't care for it.

Well....

The yoke and / or lack of an actual turn signal stalk are complete non-starters for me. Its one of the reasons I would not consider an S or an X (and those are both too big and too expensive for what I want anyway). If the model 3 goes to a yoke/ no turn stalk I wont ever sell this one, nor will I ever buy another new one.

Thats not ment as a "passionate" response from me, its actually the opposite. I dont get all spun up about features, etc. I just "vote with my wallet" so to speak, and move on, if a brand no longer offers something I want. I figure I am no longer their target customer, and thats fine. I dont believe that every product is right for every person.

Anyway, thats my feelings on that. If I had an S or X, I wouldnt buy the new ones with those features either. I can live with software changes, and am fairly flexible to all that, but Im not an F1 driver and have no desire to have a yoke steering wheel, and am not interested in having to "think" about turn signals in my vehicle (at least as long as I am supposed to be driving it, and it has a steering wheel).

Perhaps, but there are a LOT of people who drive model 3s that come from that "late model european mid / large luxury sedans" space.

Nothing tesla prices for model 3s has looked out of bounds to me, but I come from 20 years of BMW. People complain about the tire costs, and they look cheap to me (for example).

Being the mod for this subforum, and hanging out here for several hours daily, every day, since basically the beginning of 2019, I can say that, at least here, the ownership appears to be split amongst people who were "EV types" that traded up from their hybrid prius / volt / bolt /i3 etc, and on the other end, people who were looking at a replacement for their 3 series / 4 Series / A3 - A4/ C class.

The later never seem to be too surprised at pricing for stuff, the former do, though. I paid $950 for a windshield on my model 3 recently (before getting reimbursed by my insurance), and My thought was "wow only $950 for the windshield, AND i didnt have to pay for programming! Windshields on my wifes 5 series a few years ago was like 14-1500!" Vs " Wow 950 for the windshield! The windshield on my daughters Hyundai was only $450!".