Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you planning to own post-warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well....

The yoke and / or lack of an actual turn signal stalk are complete non-starters for me. Its one of the reasons I would not consider an S or an X (and those are both too big and too expensive for what I want anyway). If the model 3 goes to a yoke/ no turn stalk I wont ever sell this one, nor will I ever buy another new one.

Thats not ment as a "passionate" response from me, its actually the opposite. I dont get all spun up about features, etc. I just "vote with my wallet" so to speak, and move on, if a brand no longer offers something I want. I figure I am no longer their target customer, and thats fine. I dont believe that every product is right for every person.

Anyway, thats my feelings on that. If I had an S or X, I wouldnt buy the new ones with those features either. I can live with software changes, and am fairly flexible to all that, but Im not an F1 driver and have no desire to have a yoke steering wheel, and am not interested in having to "think" about turn signals in my vehicle (at least as long as I am supposed to be driving it, and it has a steering wheel).
My sentiments exactly and that is why I will hold on to the 2016 90D and the 2021 MY. Unless something more conventional comes along from Tesla but, sadly, I think the trend is toward stalkless vehicles. Voting with your wallet is the way to go, IMHO.

We've kept our 2013 Model S past all of its warranties. We'll almost certainly do the same with our 2021 Model 3, especially since its warranty periods are much more limited.

We are planning to replace our S with an R1T eventually. Our 3 is still practically new and we have no plans to replace it.

Tesla parts and service aren't dirt cheap, but honestly I've never felt ripped off by Tesla either. Not in parts cost, nor in labor hours charged. If anything they've had more reasonable parts and service hours pricing than my experiences with semi-mainstream Japanese car dealerships (what I drove pre-Tesla). Doubly so when factoring in the much higher price of our Tesla cars.

We haven't had to pay for a HV battery or drive unit out of warranty yet though! I'm well aware those are pricey even for refurbs.

I was just saying that's just for the HVAC system. Knowing how many times average tesla owners visit our favorite service center, it'll bound to add up. I'm not advocating to get the extended warranty or not, just taking into consideration how stupidly expensive it is for HVAC service when compared to an ICE car.

Show me a similar repair to an ICE vehicle with the same performance? I expect you will find a similar cost when using a dealer. Sometimes, swapping an AC compressor, requires a drop of the subframe.

The aftermarket (parts and service) will be catching up with the number of Model 3's sold.

Aside from the battery and drive units, which are not that complicated, the rest is basic. Now, compare the battery and drive units to a high powered ICE, it has drastically less wear parts on the order of 1/10th or greater.

I marvel at the open space when I have been under my M3P with the shields off. My E90 M3 and B8.5 S4 where significantly more cramped. Thus, labor costs were increased when taken somewhere. In regards to DYI, if the parts are available, not bad to wrench on.

• Informative
Reactions: advocate8 and KenC
If I had an S or X, I wouldnt buy the new ones with those features either. I can live with software changes
Nothing tesla prices for model 3s has looked out of bounds to me, but I come from 20 years of BMW. People complain about the tire costs, and they look cheap to me (for example).

people who were looking at a replacement for their 3 series / 4 Series / A3 - A4/ C class.

We really are, in so many respects, the same person! I do have an X and have zero desire to replace it with the newer model.

That said, you spelled “a replacement for their Cadillac” wrong … LOL!!

But as usual, I agree wholeheartedly. I don’t find Tesla’s service and part pricing offensive *at all*. In fact, I think it’s ridiculously reasonable. My sweet Daisy decided one of the rear seatbelt buckles looked like a chew toy. Mobile service replaced the entire buckle assembly for $150, parts and labor included — in my driveway. Clearly they’re not treating service as a profit center, that’s for sure.

I'm 48 years old and the Model 3 is only my 3rd car, so I pretty much drive them forever - I'd rather spend my money on other things in life.. I'm at 4 years/52,000 miles so far and plan on keeping it as long as I can.
Same here. The warranty certainly won't drive my decision. Frequent car purchases are generally not a great use of resources. I'd only consider if the resale is great and there's some new breakthrough that takes EVs to the next level. Our 2010 Fit will become backup for the M3, is in excellent condition, and has run us $1,500 a year and going lower.

Reactions: advocate8
But as usual, I agree wholeheartedly. I don’t find Tesla’s service and part pricing offensive *at all*. In fact, I think it’s ridiculously reasonable. My sweet Daisy decided one of the rear seatbelt buckles looked like a chew toy. Mobile service replaced the entire buckle assembly for $150, parts and labor included — in my driveway. Clearly they’re not treating service as a profit center, that’s for sure.
Good to know - my dog recently chewed on the center read seatbelt strap. So for now it's a 4-person car instead of 5, but we'll get that fixed some day.

Reactions: dmurphy
Good to know - my dog recently chewed on the center read seatbelt strap. So for now it's a 4-person car instead of 5, but we'll get that fixed some day.
3BF44F59-7C07-4808-B932-8A8767FCC064.jpeg

Here’s the chewed up buckle. She made a mess of it but it was truly a quick (and fairly inexpensive!) fix. Very pleasantly surprised.

My Model 3 basic warranty ends Aug 3 2022 with only 43807 miles; my costs so far has been 1 set of replacement tires (luckily new take-offs from a forum member at a good price), some brake fluid (I flushed the system myself end of last year), windshield washer fluid and some wiper blades.

Discretionary expenses for mods don't count :) nor do seatbelt replacements due to badly behaved dog. <- noticing a dog theme here

Never did replace the 12v battery so now that've I've jinxed that, it probably won't be long now.

Right now it's the best car for the job so no plans to replace it but things change every day. Still really like the car, less enamored of Tesla 'leadership' so when the car gets expensive, not sure what replaces it for us. But it's been electrically and mechanically (not so much software) reliable and inexpensive to operate thus far so it stays to drive another day

My plan is to keep my Model 3 as a backup vehicle once my Cybertruck arrives. As it already has 96,000+ miles I should be well past the powertrain warranty by then, so if any issues arise I can take my time with the repairs as it will no longer be my daily driver.

However, Just this year alone I have already had about $1800 worth of out-of-warranty repairs so I am getting a bit concerned about long term cost of ownership.

My plan is to keep my Model 3 as a backup vehicle once my Cybertruck arrives. As it already has 96,000+ miles I should be well past the powertrain warranty by then, so if any issues arise I can take my time with the repairs as it will no longer be my daily driver.

However, Just this year alone I have already had about $1800 worth of out-of-warranty repairs so I am getting a bit concerned about long term cost of ownership.

Wow...can you list what needed to be fixed?

Same here. The warranty certainly won't drive my decision. Frequent car purchases are generally not a great use of resources. I'd only consider if the resale is great and there's some new breakthrough that takes EVs to the next level. Our 2010 Fit will become backup for the M3, is in excellent condition, and has run us $1,500 a year and going lower.
Fit is perhaps the greatest Peoples Car ever made. Most rational ICE imaginable.

So, that brings me to the question in the title? Are you planning to keep the car post-warranty? Options I see include:

1. Roll the dice and keep car w/o warranty
2. Look for and purchase a 3rd party extended warranty (some are reputable, others, well...um, yeah)
3. Sell it and eat the depreciation and start over with car payments
Unless some newer, hardware-driven, must-have technologies come along that my MY can't get (via OTA), I'll be keeping it past warranty. If the first 12 months is any indication, this car will be a pleasure to own for a long time. I'm prepared to pay for battery replacement post-warranty if the rest of the car is in good condition for another 100K miles.

One thing I don't know and haven't read about, is whether the existing battery pack structure for 2170-based models can be upgraded to 4680 and beyond when the time comes. Say in 8 years when I need to replace the battery and all new Teslas are on 4680, does my 2170 MY get the new battery?