Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I chose online since the nearest stores are 330 and 383 miles away (one way distance). But it is tempting to make the trip since it doesn't cost anything except time (which I have) and tire wear...

Others haven't mentioned it, but USA customers who don't get in the queue fairly early might miss out on some of the federal tax credit. Since I would order a lightly optioned version (dual drive being the only option, most likely) my car would be produced later than the higher optioned orders.

I know that a few people have mentioned either inputting a CC on a computer or that stores don't know how it'll work just yet. Was the Model S online only? I didn't get one personally but all the people I knew said it was online only.

Hopefully they release more info about how it'll work in store soon.

Going to store! Hoping to bring several friends and family along and make a day or night of it. My car will not likely have many options, so I need to be near the front of the low-optioned cars line to try to reduce my wait and hopefully qualify for tax credit.

I am making the 3 hour drive to the Kansas City store and will wait 2+ hours. If I am going to wait 2 years for a car, waiting a few hours to get a car months earlier will be worth it. Hopefully my $65k budget will also help lower the wait time.

Ok 6 people currently in the poll have indicated they will make a reservation "at the reveal."

My question to these six: how are you going to the reveal? Did you get invited? Who gets to go? Who are the chosen few? I am very curious and everyone's staying mum on this so far, even Tesla who I've emailed.

Anyone care to splain?

Ok 6 people currently in the poll have indicated they will make a reservation "at the reveal."

My question to these six: how are you going to the reveal? Did you get invited? Who gets to go? Who are the chosen few? I am very curious and everyone's staying mum on this so far, even Tesla who I've emailed.

Anyone care to splain?

Most importantly, what's the procedure for making the deposit in person? I'm assuming it has to do with stuffing hundred dollar bills into Elon's décolletage.

So I wonder if there are huge lines at the stores and people wait hours to put their reservations in; if those same people will be upset when they find out their reservation number isn't actually a place in line for a car?

I suppose if folks are going just for the fun of it, that's cool.

Lines at stores, seriously?? there wont be any lines come on folks this isn't an iPhone. They'll make a few thousand reservations and have a few hundred people across their stores on day 1. Believe it or not most people don't even know about the model 3 and car buying is remotely different to cell phone buying.
Most Tesla owners I talk to will order a 3. Who wants to be last in line? So everybody will come to the store. Our store here in Orlando has about 500 Model S in its uptake area. Say half of them come to order a Model 3 and there are 2 staff to take orders? Sounds like a recipe for a line, no?

Most Tesla owners I talk to will order a 3. Who wants to be last in line? So everybody will come to the store. Our store here in Orlando has about 500 Model S in its uptake area. Say half of them come to order a Model 3 and there are 2 staff to take orders? Sounds like a recipe for a line, no?

Oh, come on. Given the expected run rate of the Model 3, reserving in store versus on April 1st will probably result in a couple week delay of the car (assuming you want the highest end config, otherwise there is almost no reason to go to the store). Some people just like standing in lines, but even though I fully plan to order a model 3 I wouldn't waste my valuable time lining up like a lemming. I never understand the mentality.

As of now the poll is trending heavily to reserving at a store. I expect the ratio to change for the general public outside of this forum, but I think it's safe to say the stores will be swamped, at least in the more EV centric areas.

I expect the ratio to not bear the slightest resemblance outside this forum. And a hundred members of this forum are not numerous enough to swamp stores. That said, I do expect some stores (like Santana Row) to be swamped, and also we don't really know the details of how it's all going to work yet or what sort of publicity is going to be attached. Of course I never understand people lining up at Apple stores either.