Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how many potential Model 3 purchases really know about the M3 reveal and reservation opening this month? I would for a large Aerospace company in the Seattle area. In my office of 16 engineers, over half of whom are under 30 years old and very tech savvy, several own BMW 3-series, and a Prius owners. However, I'm the only one who even knows that Tesla has a reveal this month, let alone any details of the Model 3.

So for other on this forum, how many folks who drive ICE even know that Tesla offering an affordable EV and that it's reveal/pre-orders are starting? In my circle of friends and co-workers, most folks didn't know about Tesla until they started seeing the Model S on the road a couple years ago, and I guessing they won't know about the Model 3 until they see it in ads, news, or on the road.

Sounds like you need to talk to your coworkers more. :smile:

GSP

So how many potential Model 3 purchases really know about the M3 reveal and reservation opening this month? I would for a large Aerospace company in the Seattle area. In my office of 16 engineers, over half of whom are under 30 years old and very tech savvy, several own BMW 3-series, and a Prius owners. However, I'm the only one who even knows that Tesla has a reveal this month, let alone any details of the Model 3.

+1; Sadly most people are still very... very... very.... VERY ignorant about EVs in general.

One idiot at work just plopped down $47k on some POS ICE. Another co-worker whined that there aren't any EVs that would allow you to drive 300 miles. I told him that the volt would be perfect if that's his concern. He scoffed and said, 'The volt doesn't have 300 miles of range'; So even with a plug-in hybrid that's been around for ~5 years there are still a lot of highly 'educated' people that are completely oblivious to their existence...

People still confuse the X for the 3. I still get the 'It was supposed to be $35k but now its $140k'.... NO; those are different cars... the X was never going to be $35k. I STILL get 'What kind of car is that?'... when I respond 'Tesla'; I STILL get who makes it?... when I respond 'Tesla'; I STILL get the side ways look of 'who?'....

I think some peoples knowledge of the outside world is limited to what Fox News decides to show them... Welcome to 'merca :crying:

+1; Sadly most people are still very... very... very.... VERY ignorant about EVs in general.

One idiot at work just plopped down $47k on some POS ICE. Another co-worker whined that there aren't any EVs that would allow you to drive 300 miles. I told him that the volt would be perfect if that's his concern. He scoffed and said, 'The volt doesn't have 300 miles of range'; So even with a plug-in hybrid that's been around for ~5 years there are still a lot of highly 'educated' people that are completely oblivious to their existence...

People still confuse the X for the 3. I still get the 'It was supposed to be $35k but now its $140k'.... NO; those are different cars... the X was never going to be $35k. I STILL get 'What kind of car is that?'... when I respond 'Tesla'; I STILL get who makes it?... when I respond 'Tesla'; I STILL get the side ways look of 'who?'....

I think some peoples knowledge of the outside world is limited to what Fox News decides to show them... Welcome to 'merca :crying:
I just had a discussion in the comments of an article about toyota's upcoming $60k fuel cell vehicle with someone that told me hydrogen cars are the future because it's cheaper than a Tesla that starts at $80k and that batteries are only good for a year.

Sigh, I know you're likely biased being from the left left coast and all, but Fox News is hardly solely to blame for the willful ignorance of Americans (OK, I submit they are probably more likely to blame on this topic), and it's not exclusive to one side of the political spectrum or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had a discussion in the comments of an article about toyota's upcoming $60k fuel cell vehicle with someone that told me hydrogen cars are the future because it's cheaper than a Tesla that starts at $80k and that batteries are only good for a year.
And THAT impression was in all likelihood due to corporate Toyota anti-EV propaganda. Mary Nichols of CARB fame was just caught shilling for Toyota as well.

I was planning on going to the store to reserve. Today I stopped by the Tesla store to see the model X. I commented to the associate about making a reservation on the Model 3 and she commented the store would be open after the reveal for reservations. If the reveal is at night it will not make any sense it would be almost midnight on the east coast before the reveal is over. I assume the website will accept reservations after midnight.

Anyway, maybe she just made an assumption that the reservations are after the reveal. I find the setup of the whole thing confusing.

Either we will end up putting deposits on a car we have not seen if they allow reservations early on March 31st or the in store reservation period will be so short it will be meaningless if it is after the reveal.

I was planning on going to the store to reserve. Today I stopped by the Tesla store to see the model X. I commented to the associate about making a reservation on the Model 3 and she commented the store would be open after the reveal for reservations. If the reveal is at night it will not make any sense it would be almost midnight on the east coast before the reveal is over. I assume the website will accept reservations after midnight.

Anyway, maybe she just made an assumption that the reservations are after the reveal. I find the setup of the whole thing confusing.

Either we will end up putting deposits on a car we have not seen if they allow reservations early on March 31st or the in store reservation period will be so short it will be meaningless if it is after the reveal.
This sums up my thoughts. Hoping for some answers from Elon soon.

I'll bet every LEAF, Volt, i3, Zoe, etc. owner knows about the 3 reveal.

As has been said before, you already lost that bet.

I know several i3 and Zoe owners, and even an owner of an Opel Ampera (which is basically identical to the Volt). None of them knew of the reveal. All of them knew Tesla of course, but only two had even heard about Model 3 at all. Guess where they had gotten that info from in the first place ;-)

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure I only said it once.
I know several i3 and Zoe owners, and even an owner of an Opel Ampera (which is basically identical to the Volt). None of them knew of the reveal. All of them knew Tesla of course, but only two had even heard about Model 3 at all. Guess where they had gotten that info from in the first place ;-)

I am surprised that early adopters of EV's are completely unaware of what is likely to be a much better version of the car they own, with more than twice the range, at similar pricing. I'll bet most of them will know about it after March 31st.

I've had an opposite experience, almost every Leaf owner I've met is looking forward to or reserving the Model 3.

It's possible that it's because I'm both in the US (we seem to be very Tesla-aware here compared to most everywhere else except Norway), and that I'm in the MIdwest (EV drivers here are still mostly "bleeding edge" early adopters).

Pardon me if this is has already been answered earlier, but I'm still unclear on what the difference will likely be between ordering in-store on the 31st and ordering online on the 1st. Given that I will probably check all the boxes on the build sheet, will there be any substantial difference in build priority between the two dates? The nearest Tesla store that will be accepting reservations is 4 hours away from me, so I'm trying to weigh the benefits of driving all the way out there vs just waiting a day and doing it online. Thanks in advance :)

Pardon me if this is has already been answered earlier, but I'm still unclear on what the difference will likely be between ordering in-store on the 31st and ordering online on the 1st. Given that I will probably check all the boxes on the build sheet, will there be any substantial difference in build priority between the two dates? The nearest Tesla store that will be accepting reservations is 4 hours away from me, so I'm trying to weigh the benefits of driving all the way out there vs just waiting a day and doing it online. Thanks in advance :)

Pretty much everything is speculation at this point. That being said, given what we do know and what has transpired with past releases, waiting until April 1 to place your order online will somewhat affect your place in line relative to others who select the higher-optioned models. However, you'll likely still end up ahead of most people as for the eventual arrival of your car.

Each person will be given a reservation number when they put their deposit down. Once the specific model options become known and people are given the opportunity to choose their specs, everyone will be re-organized into sub-categories based on as-of-yet undetermined pricing for various upgrades from the base model. It could also have something to do with geographic location. Based on your circumstances, I'd say you should be just fine waiting.

will there be any substantial difference in build priority between the two dates?

If you check all the options, the difference will be about equal to how many people also order all the options. If it's a couple of thousand people, maybe a month or two (or more) between delivery. If I were getting every option, I'd stay home. Some of us know we're not in that first round, and still want that tax credit, so I think that drives a lot of people to the stores on 3/31.

So myself and a co-worker just talked to different workers in the Scottsdale gallery and they said they are now going to be taking reservations in the store. They claimed it was confirmed and they were going to be having an event all day to take reservations.
Interesting indeed. I was told just the opposite (albeit earlier last week), and in fact I had begun plans for a trip to Palm Desert, CA. Thank you for the updated info!

E-mail from Tesla just now:

We're excited to share details of the Model 3 prototype unveiling at an intimate event in Los Angeles, CA for less than 800 people.

We want to share this with Tesla owners first, as a token of our appreciation for your support over the years. We've saved 650 places at the event for current owners including their guests.

Places will be allocated at random through a drawing on March 16. To enter, simply click below and register before noon PST on March 16 2016. You'll need to use your MyTesla email address to ensure successful entry into the lottery. On March 17, official invitations will go out to those selected through the lottery.

Model 3 reservations will open in Tesla stores on March 31 at 10am PST, as well as online immediately when the event (which will also be accessible via a live stream) begins. As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners.

Thanks again for your support. Good luck!

The Tesla Team