Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you tired of getting wet or freezing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I am! Almost every time I park my "California Car" (Read Tesla Model 3) I pray the weather won't be inclement when I return, especially if I am carrying shopping or anything heavy. But, you guessed it, every time it's raining or snowing, the car won't open. I have to find my Tesla card or get my mobile out to unlock the car. This really upsets my wife. The app sometimes takes ages to connect, especially if the sentry is engaged. This only started when the weather started to change for the worse in late Autumn. Guess this isn't a problem in California. Any ideas on a fix?

You might not want to hear this, OP, but your exact use case is one of the reasons tesla offers the keyfob. Its another thing to have in hand, etc, but on the "it really upsets my wife" thing, having a familiar keyfob can usually quell that anger (even if it takes the same amount of time to use the keyfob as reach for the phone).

The keyfob is likely familiar, so reaching for the keyfob will likely not make her angry. Other than that, depending on what phone you have (iOS vs Android) if android, there may be some settings that the phone is going into "reserve power" mode and killing the bluetooth radio because nothing is connected to it.

Yeah, tried these, I always have my phone in my front pocket, so it's not that. It's just when it's raining or snowing hard and your carrying shopping, adding your phone isn't ideal.
Yes, I carry my phone in my front pocket too, but in the summer I wear lightweight shorts... No problem. In the winter I wear jeans and it suddenly starts to fail. When I have the phone in my hand, no problem.

Well, I am! Almost every time I park my "California Car" (Read Tesla Model 3) I pray the weather won't be inclement when I return, especially if I am carrying shopping or anything heavy. But, you guessed it, every time it's raining or snowing, the car won't open. I have to find my Tesla card or get my mobile out to unlock the car. This really upsets my wife. The app sometimes takes ages to connect, especially if the sentry is engaged. This only started when the weather started to change for the worse in late Autumn. Guess this isn't a problem in California. Any ideas on a fix?

New wife?? LOL

if its in your pocket turn your hip slightly towards the car or take the phone out of your pocket.
if you cant and the phone is in a thick jacket etc just pull on the lever and wait 2-3 seconds.

Reactions: RTPEV

I'm in PNW and have never seen this issue with my phone unlocking car (iPhone XS Max). But I keep my phone in a belt holster, perhaps it has better BT signal that way? Also, sentry mode should actually help since the car is awake while sentry mode is active. What phone do you have? Since it's weather related, its possible something is shorting?