Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA Future Fuels Fund - fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rollouts take time.
Once they get the award then it's discussions with possible site hosts, councils, power authorities etc.

As a comparison, Jolt submitted a number of council DAs in Jan this year and have only just got the first site up and running.
OK, i won't be cynical. Just waiting on a few key locations.Early November might be a nice time to get more info.

Ampol obviously have all their exact locations locked in and no landowner agreements needed (it's their own sites). So I'd expect the first ones to be from them. Some applicants may not have done this (In some ways, I don't blame them - especially due to the need to submit 20-30 locations in each city - repeat for each region - in the timeframe given).

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
Looks like a second site added in Plugshare. No photos so can't identify who added it.

Woolworths Chelsea in Melbourne

I'm guessing Woolworths is probably an Engie site.

Looks like a second site added in Plugshare. No photos so can't identify who added it.

Woolworths Chelsea in Melbourne

I'm guessing Woolworths is probably an Engie site.
That'd be this one:
1636347931721.png

Lots of the sites were Woolworths, so there's a good chance that one of the major players has an agreement with them - not sure who it is yet.

Might be helpful to check and see if different states had less or more of certain chains. e.g. Evie was in all states, Engie is only installing in Qld, NSW, Vic, SA. So if you checked (for example) WA and see if fewer dots line up with Woolworths, it may be a hint that it's Engie.

Now that Ampol has announced theirs (Ampol AmpCharge network), it is interesting that we're seeing a bit of diversity in hardware vendors.
  • Evie - Tritium
  • Ampol - Hypercharger
  • EHT - Kempower
  • Chargefox - Kempower (probably, since they announced a partnership earlier this year, and the SA network will use them)
  • Engie - unknown
In the case of the Hypercharger ones, these systems allow capacity to be shared, so actual speeds will be greater than 50 kW, effectively 100-150 kW most of the time. Similar for Kempower, once we see the final setup.

Will put it here given it covers all the operators, but the latest Arena newsletter contains the initial learnings reports from
Ampol, Evie, Engie and Chargefox.
(The Evie ultrafast one is unfortunately old)

Nothing particularly groundbreaking, but Evie has a detailed cost analysis of one site where they disagree with the electricity plan they were put on.
Engie suggests they won't do an even CCS2/CHAdeMO split. And Chargefox seems to suggest that some of the Shopping Centre operators had made multiple arrangements.

Last edited:
Will put it here given it covers all the operators, but the latest Arena newsletter contains the initial learnings reports from
Ampol, Evie, Engie and Chargefox.

Interesting stuff. Chargefox complaining about increased competition for landlords does not surprise me. With a growing number of EV charging programmes at local, state and Federal level, more and more players are out looking for a limited number of useful, viable locations and hence landlords. No easy solution here, but it seems some kind of coordination would be desirable, so that we don’t end up with too many chargers in some locations and not enough in others.

Evie had a good whinge about free NRMA chargers. I tend to agree with them - based on PlugShare check-ins, some NRMA chargers get hammered because it seems some people just can’t resist ‘free’, while not too far away Evie chargers get limited love. A dual-stall 350 kW site wins me over compared to a 1-stall 50 kW site regardless of price.

From Ampol:

1656811175946.png

Isn't Ampol the only grant recipient who *doesn't* have to do this? Aren't they all Ampol owned sites? I guess some might be franchise owned.

1656811258645.png

There isn't a single Hypercharger installation in Australia (not public at least). Some in NZ.

From Engie:

1656811606429.png

Unclear? It's very clear - there's no such thing, and won't be! Underlying communications protocols preclude it.

From Chargefox:

1656811731467.png

Very interesting. I'm guessing Kempower products, since that's what Chargefox is using in the SA RAA network.

Last edited:
Reactions: moa999
And if anything Engie overstates the use of CHAdeMO as it's only a small percentage of Tesla's that would have the adapter.

No adapter for 3 or Y, and later S/X (from 2019 I think) came with the higher rated CCS2 adapter.

Ideally Nissan or some 3rd party would come out with a relatively cheap retrofit to CCS2 for the Leafs (current and future grey imports).

The smaller Amplitronic 150kW and Kempower S-series both only support two cables so suspect they will be CCS2/CHAdeMO in single stall configuration.

In double or higher stall locations with additional parking spots, I'd think a single CCS2/CHAdeMO and multiple CCS2/CCS2 would maximise utilisation.

Last edited:
Isn't Ampol the only grant recipient who *doesn't* have to do this? Aren't they all Ampol owned sites? I guess some might be franchise owned.

I think it‘s pretty rare for any company to actually own the land and buildings that they trade from. It would tie up too much capital up in real estate when it’s not their core business, and also limits flexibility when they want to abandon or change sites. The land could be owned by the franchisee (although that might be unlikely too), or a property investor, or a super fund, or a trust.

Reactions: Maximillan
Ideally Nissan or some 3rd party would come out with a relatively cheap retrofit to CCS2 for the Leafs (current and future grey imports).

Hell will freeze over before Nissan abandons CHAdeMO.

I suspect it would be quite tricky to change the port out in a Leaf or whatever to CCS2, effectively one would need to install a CCS2 to Chademo adaptor so that it could still “talk” to the car’s charger and BMS.