Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA Future Fuels Fund - fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are gaps in the targeted areas for NRMA like Central Coast. NRMA run all the caravan parks there. You would think they would have gone for a few at least.
NRMA typically only put one charger in.
The announcement says "each capable of charging at least two vehicles concurrently at 50 kW or above.".
That's probably why NRMA is left out.
Also, it's not NRMA's core business, so with all this new money, they may pull back.
They have been the kick starters and can be proud of what they have done.

You would think they would have gone for a few at least.
The catch with this application was that they couldn't just bid for a few - each applicant was for either all the sites in that state (Hobart, Darwin, Canberra) or 50% of them (other cities). If NRMA wanted to bid they would have to apply for $2.5m of funding which is at least 25 locations, and in the case of Sydney there are requirements for some of these to be Newcastle, Central Coast and Wollongong.

Good news for NRMA is that the NSW government has since announced another $120m of funding for fast charging. That's 5x the amount of these grants, and all in New South Wales!

The catch with this application was that they couldn't just bid for a few - each applicant was for either all the sites in that state (Hobart, Darwin, Canberra) or 50% of them (other cities). If NRMA wanted to bid they would have to apply for $2.5m of funding which is at least 25 locations, and in the case of Sydney there are requirements for some of these to be Newcastle, Central Coast and Wollongong.

Good news for NRMA is that the NSW government has since announced another $120m of funding for fast charging. That's 5x the amount of these grants, and all in New South Wales!
Ahh, that makes sense. Yay for more chargers everywhere!

Reactions: paulp and Chuq
How long til we find out Ampol have branded their charging network Ampere? And then use ‘ere with some mascot pointing the way to the charger.
That’s very witty and I think it would run well. My evil twin says you should register the brand, copyright the slogan and then sell it back to them if they come up with the idea themselves 😈🤑😈

I actually think they have got it wrong focussing on so many charge points in Adelaide. Its a small city with minimal apartment living, so a majority will charge at home. Its fairly difficult to use a battery of energy driving around adelaide in a day. The city tesla superchargers (4 stalls) are rarely full. The bigger issue is out in the regions. People in Adelaide express massive range anxiety as a reason not to get an EV, as well as the usual “can I tow my digger 12 hours into the desert, dig, and return” type excuses. Hence I think a regional rollout would be more beneficial, but can see city centre based rollouts being more effective in the apartment heavy (and garageless townhouses) larger cbd’s. The adelaide cbd needs a few for travellers, but noting many hotels are getting quite into destination chargers.

Reactions: Hairyman
A charging operator could play around with prices in SA to take advantage of the conditions there. Even people with garages might fill up when it’s cheap/free
Yes thats very true. To add to the equation though Adelaide also has the highest uptake of rooftop solar in Australia - ideal weather conditions but also very expensive power. A lot will use their exports to fill the car when they can, making the refill cheap at home. Definately a case for smart retailers and food places to take advantage with some free power to capture market share though.

Reactions: Hairyman
While I don't think we've seen variable pricing on DC chargers, in Sydney's East there are a bunch of council owned chargers (on Chargefox) that have a variable rate based in a pass-thru TOU.

Charging rates as follows:
Peak - $0.28 per kWh - Mon-Fri 2-8pm
Shoulder - $0.17 per kWh - Mon-Fri 7am-2pm & 8pm-10pm
Off-Peak - $0.11 per kWh - all other times (albeit some locations are used overnight)

Reactions: paulp and Hairyman
While I don't think we've seen variable pricing on DC chargers, in Sydney's East there are a bunch of council owned chargers (on Chargefox) that have a variable rate based in a pass-thru TOU.

Charging rates as follows:
Peak - $0.28 per kWh - Mon-Fri 2-8pm
Shoulder - $0.17 per kWh - Mon-Fri 7am-2pm & 8pm-10pm
Off-Peak - $0.11 per kWh - all other times (albeit some locations are used overnight)
I’ll be very interested to see how that works out in practice. It could be a very useful market solution to load balancing

Reactions: paulp
And even more interesting if it was linked to the wholesale price. If it was up on the sign at a servo. Wouldn’t matter if it bounced around as people are used to that with petrol. You would just ignore when high and rush in when it went negative. Obviously the operator would always get a cut to make it worthwhile

And even more interesting if it was linked to the wholesale price. If it was up on the sign at a servo. Wouldn’t matter if it bounced around as people are used to that with petrol. You would just ignore when high and rush in when it went negative. Obviously the operator would always get a cut to make it worthwhile
Wholesale power prices might change multiple times during a charge, and far too complex an algorithm for most of the population understand. Many cannot even understand their power bill.