Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA/NRMA national fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest issue was caused by a local charging a Classic Ioniq up to 100%, the fastest I saw it charging was 14 kW on a 50 kW charger, eventually as it approached 90% it was charging at 4 kW. They'd left a sign on the car saying something along the lines of we are charging to full call us when it's finished. I called them to try and tell them there was a queue of cars and they didn't answer, eventually someone else called at about 95% SOC, they didn't answer them either but mins later emerged and hot footed it out of there. They clearly knew the inconvenience they were causing and given the state of their creased sign I'm guessing it's well used.

Actually, this isn’t the worst. I saw a Facebook post where a guy with a BMW iX with free Chargefox charging using it to power his home via V2H 🤦🏻‍♂️.. says it saved him hundreds 🤣 . I didn’t comment out of politeness.

• Funny
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Actually, this isn’t the worst. I saw a Facebook post where a guy with a BMW iX with free Chargefox charging using it to power his home via V2H 🤦🏻‍♂️.. says it saved him hundreds 🤣 . I didn’t comment out of politeness.

What is it about “free” that causes people to behave completely disproportionately to the benefit? Or act like entitled a-holes? A BMW iX 60 is like $230k and the owner is so stingy they want to waste their time to max out their “free” charging for a couple of hundred bucks? How much is their time worth?

Some people really do need a clip around the ears to learn they are not the only person on the planet and a bit of thoughtfulness for others would go a long way 🤦‍♂️.

Reactions: SPadival and moa999
It is the same thing at a certain shopping centre with free charging (not far from the only NRMA charger in Sydney) that has both tethered and untethered AC charging. The tethered chargers will be first to fill with people too scabby to buy a type 2 cable and will ask you if the cable is worth it, seriously the type 2 cable is only about $200. NRMA aren't the only ones that need to start billing for charging.

tethered and untethered AC
Have local shopping centre free charger (ChargeFox type 2 EVLink unit 22kW).
Both sides are tethered. One side is Type 2 to type 2 cables and the other side is type 2 to type 1. However they can be unplugged and BYO cable can be used which is useful for the side with the T2-T1 cable.

I see people waiting to charge even if one bay is available - the one with the tethered T2-T1. The vehicle number plates suggest the EV landed in Australia at least some months ago. Obviously don't have a BYO T2-T2 cable.

Just remove the tethering. Everyone BYO. Especially going by the way some people treat the tethered cables.

I went to my local shopping centre at 0700am to get a coffee and use their free charging.

I noticed a fellow drive up in a small ICE. He got out and got into the Model 3 which was charging and left the ICE there. What's the bet that he will return with the Tesla tonight, plug in the charger and drive off in the ICE. No benefit to the shopping centre in term a of spending a few dollars , and no benefit to anyone.

I went to my local shopping centre at 0700am to get a coffee and use their free charging.

I noticed a fellow drive up in a small ICE. He got out and got into the Model 3 which was charging and left the ICE there. What's the bet that he will return with the Tesla tonight, plug in the charger and drive off in the ICE. No benefit to the shopping centre in term a of spending a few dollars , and no benefit to anyone.
They can just discourage parking by charging a prohibitive parking fee for more than a couple of hours and most do do it.

It is the same thing at a certain shopping centre with free charging (not far from the only NRMA charger in Sydney) that has both tethered and untethered AC charging. The tethered chargers will be first to fill with people too scabby to buy a type 2 cable and will ask you if the cable is worth it, seriously the type 2 cable is only about $200. NRMA aren't the only ones that need to start billing for charging.
I was there on Saturday morning at 8am, full house with the 8 chargers there (probably the biggest array of destination charging at any given shopping centre in Australia). Unbelievable.

I think this is the first reported activity on a site from the Federally funded National Fast Charging network.

NRMA has recently added a new Mudgee site to their Coming soon map. Although the map also includes Moree and Narrabri, also named sites in the Federal program, I believe they are under a previous funding round, so like Mudgee may end up with two independent NRMA charging sites. From the recent photos of Moree this would seem to confirm this as they do not appear to meet the more advanced requirements of the Federally funded network.
Screenshot_20230712-112646.png

NRMA have also recently added the new Mudgee site as coming soon to plugshare. Though no date is provided. All other coming soon cites on the map have dates in the next 1-3 months.
Screenshot_20230712-112419.png

Looking further for information there was actually a local news article article around Feb 2023 (paywall),
Screenshot_20230712-113710.png

And looking into Council documents reveals the following highlights from 14 December 2022,
Screenshot_20230712-114133.png

Note there is plans to potentially upgrade the exisiting Mudgee charger also.
Screenshot_20230712-114224.png

Identified location in the council car park on short street.
Screenshot_20230712-113943.png

And approval of the motion minuted,
Screenshot_20230712-113838.png

Council references: