Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA/NRMA national fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is the first reported activity on a site from the Federally funded National Fast Charging network.

NRMA has recently added a new Mudgee site to their Coming soon map. Although the map also includes Moree and Narrabri, also named sites in the Federal program, I believe they are under a previous funding round, so like Mudgee may end up with two independent NRMA charging sites. From the recent photos of Moree this would seem to confirm this as they do not appear to meet the more advanced requirements of the Federally funded network.
View attachment 955441

NRMA have also recently added the new Mudgee site as coming soon to plugshare. Though no date is provided. All other coming soon cites on the map have dates in the next 1-3 months.
View attachment 955442

Looking further for information there was actually a local news article article around Feb 2023 (paywall),
View attachment 955443

And looking into Council documents reveals the following highlights from 14 December 2022,
View attachment 955445

Note there is plans to potentially upgrade the exisiting Mudgee charger also.
View attachment 955444

Identified location in the council car park on short street.
View attachment 955446

And approval of the motion minuted,
View attachment 955447

Council references:
Construction of this first Federal funded site now looks complete, unsure when it will activate.
Screenshot_20230806-134747.png

They look like they might be ABB units? Definately not Tritium, an NRMA first?

Yep, looks like the same ABB units Engie are using at some sites (eg Roselands in NSW)

View attachment 962661View attachment 962662
Yeah, what confused be a little was that the unit looks longer. Looking again it looks like the door, where the connectors are homed, is open making it look longer.
Also the same units as used in most of the AmpCharge sites which means a max charge rate of around 75kW on most 400V architecture cars including Teslas.

Problem is people will still siphon off free ac chargers over paid DC
If only Tesla allows their Wall chargers usage to be monetised without having to install 6
As a matter of principle I don't believe in free charging unless there is a quid pro quo in a similar way to Westfield free 3hr parking
I don't see why people who drive EV should get free electricity when a pensioner is having to cut back due to power prices being unaffordable.
Free charging also introduces some silly behaviours.

If only Tesla allows their Wall chargers usage to be monetised without having to install 6

I had thought of this too. Maybe it’s a limitation that has something to do with rules/regulations around electricity retailing. If the site is big enough, then it is probably cost effective to get the necessary permits/waivers etc. Otherwise, every Tom, Dick & Harry will run a charging service out of their garage.

Last edited:
As a matter of principle I don't believe in free charging unless there is a quid pro quo in a similar way to Westfield free 3hr parking
I don't see why people who drive EV should get free electricity when a pensioner is having to cut back due to power prices being unaffordable.
Free charging also introduces some silly behaviours.
Wholeheartedly agree

The host has to want to manage billing the charging and all the extra work involved in that for a start. For a lot of sites, the cost of charging is a small fraction of providing parking to begin with, so they eat the cost (looking at multi-level parking garages and shopping centres). They should just install with Chargefox or AMP charge if they want to do billing.

There are lots of paid sites with less than 6 stations

So perhaps its 6 per 'owner' (ie, many Novotel sites have less than 6 stations, like the 4 in Wollongong, with billing enabled)
Or even 6 per 'installer' (plenty of apartment blocks with less than 6 stations with billing enabled, but maybe they were installed by the same installer?)
Or the 6 minimum is just plain wrong.

Why aren't they visible to Teslas in the Nav app
They are visible in the car's Nav app if you select the one lightning bolt icon. Ironically enough, they are not visible in the phone app, while they are visible to non-Tesla owners. Tesla only destination chargers are not visible in the phone app at all.

Lots of the Tesla destination chargers were installed before the new 6 charger rule came in. It is a recent change - the previous minimum was 2 destination chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst