Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA Future Fuels Fund - fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evie had a good whinge about free NRMA chargers. I tend to agree with them - based on PlugShare check-ins, some NRMA chargers get hammered because it seems some people just can’t resist ‘free’, while not too far away Evie chargers get limited love.
Which ones are you thinking of? The closest pairs at the time of the report are Evie Taree / NRMA Nabiac, Evie Tarcutta / NRMA Holbrook and Evie Seven Hills / NRMA Olympic Park.

Tarcutta is probably at least as affected by the competition from the Gundagai Chargefox and Tesla sites as it is by NRMA Holbrook.

I'd be surprised to find that the usage of Evie Seven Hills was low, free Olympic Park charger notwithstanding.

That leaves Evie Taree as likely the main site affected by competition from a nearby freebie.

Evie's cost analysis of its Sydney (Ausgrid) area charging station is interesting (it's in their "Future Fuels Fast Charging Lessons Learnt" report).

The demand charges (and more broadly, DNSP charges) being the bulk of the costs is basically what my back-of-an-envelope estimates said. It's fascinating that the site draws less than 25MWh a year - that's probably only about four times what my home charger draws!

Which ones are you thinking of? The closest pairs at the time of the report are Evie Taree / NRMA Nabiac, Evie Tarcutta / NRMA Holbrook and Evie Seven Hills / NRMA Olympic Park.

Maybe it's not the existing EVIE ones they are worried about?
I'd say it's locating NEW Evie charging spots. They probably don't want to install them near an existing NRMA one.
Let's face it, NRMA have done an excellent job putting them 100 to 200KM across most of the state, which means Evie will be competing with "free" chargers everywhere in NSW.

Evie's cost analysis of its Sydney (Ausgrid) area charging station is interesting (it's in their "Future Fuels Fast Charging Lessons Learnt" report).

The demand charges (and more broadly, DNSP charges) being the bulk of the costs is basically what my back-of-an-envelope estimates said. It's fascinating that the site draws less than 25MWh a year - that's probably only about four times what my home charger draws!
EA302 would be a really good deal for them if they had either:

* A battery storage system to smooth out the peak load
* Throttled charging to lower the peak load
* Very high site utilization

They get slugged 33.1c per day per kw of peak site usage, for the highest usage of the month. Sutton Forest for example seems to be throttled to about 60kW. That's $596/m in demand charges plus $138/m in supply charge just to keep the power switched on. If at any point two cars pulled into Seven Hills and simultaneously peaked at 150kW, then a 300kW peak means they'd pay $2,979 in demand charges plus $138/m in supply charge that month. And all that is before usage (which is absurdly low on these tariffs - down to 0.7c/kWh off-peak - basically free - once you've paid your demand charges).

Amortising $3k/month over a couple of cars a day isn't a solid business plan. Hence they can't make a go of this until they get that peak amount right down, or unless they get that couple of cars a day right up.