Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Argelius: Questions before placing my order.... tell me what I should change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG. I am driving myself insane. I guess Tesla does this to people.

I'm set on the exterior color --grey.

But now, after deciding on a gray interior, I'm second guessing myself. I'm avoiding black, which I love, because every car I've had over the past 15 years has been black. I'm wondering if gray is too "cold". Beige I've always avoided .. But when I see pics of the beige interior, it's growing on me.

just shoot me now...or someone tell me what to do!

Fortunately, I am 150% confident that I'm going to love whatever I get....but heeeeeellllllpppppppp....

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I recommend sticking with black. This will create a little contrast to the exterior.

ModelSBlackInterior4.jpg

OMG. I am driving myself insane. I guess Tesla does this to people.

I'm set on the exterior color --grey.

But now, after deciding on a gray interior, I'm second guessing myself. I'm avoiding black, which I love, because every car I've had over the past 15 years has been black. I'm wondering if gray is too "cold". Beige I've always avoided .. But when I see pics of the beige interior, it's growing on me.

just shoot me now...or someone tell me what to do!

Fortunately, I am 150% confident that I'm going to love whatever I get....but heeeeeellllllpppppppp....

My two cents:
I have the (dolphin) grey with the tan interior.
ABSOLUTELY love the color combination.
NOW that it available, I would consider getting the carbon fiber dash and accents, or one of the obeche wood veneers (matte or gloss)

Decisions best reviewed with actual SAMPLES at a Gallery, because no amount of looking at a computer screen can account for subtle finish colorations and textures.
Best of Luck!

It's amazing how helpful everyone's remarks have been.

At this point, I'm 95% settled with my decision (gray/gray, glossy obeche). I'm sort of excited about the prospect of getting an interior something other than black (which every car I've had for the past 15 years has had...).

Final point of contention is whether or not to go with the sound studio option. I've listened to both the standard and the sound studio and, while I can definitely hear a difference, I'm not sure I am comfortable shelling out an additional $2500 for it. (If it was $1000, I'd definitely do it; think Tesla really screwed up with the pricing on this). Ultimately, though, this final decision is more about the psychology of not wanting to live with the feeling of "I should have...").

But as of this moment, I'm going to skip it. I've made a pact with myself to confirm my order by the end of the day so I can move on to other thoughts...

It's amazing how helpful everyone's remarks have been.

At this point, I'm 95% settled with my decision (gray/gray, glossy obeche). I'm sort of excited about the prospect of getting an interior something other than black (which every car I've had for the past 15 years has had...).

Final point of contention is whether or not to go with the sound studio option. I've listened to both the standard and the sound studio and, while I can definitely hear a difference, I'm not sure I am comfortable shelling out an additional $2500 for it. (If it was $1000, I'd definitely do it; think Tesla really screwed up with the pricing on this). Ultimately, though, this final decision is more about the psychology of not wanting to live with the feeling of "I should have...").

But as of this moment, I'm going to skip it. I've made a pact with myself to confirm my order by the end of the day so I can move on to other thoughts...

Skip the extra stereo and get an aftermarket that has been posted here.

HIT THE CONFIRM BUTTON! The sooner you do, the sooner it arrives!

Last edited:
My cars are normally dark colored with black or gray interiors. For some reason I went with a silver with tan interior with the model S. I love the silver but some days, even after 6 months, I second guess and wonder if I should have gotten the grey or pearl white. I also like the MC red but think its too flashy. Point being, if you are debating about color you will always be debating about color. I do love the tan interior, it does show dirt more and I have two small kids but I wouldn't change it. Also, I don't know if they changed the color of the headliner, but it was kinda a tan color in all cars without the alcantara and matched the tan leather better. Plus, I think the lighter interior gives the interior a more open/spacious feeling.

I was budget constrained when I was ordering. The car was twice the price I normally spend so I tried to trim price. I went with the 60, don't regret it. I skipped on the rear seats and Panoroof. I ended up adding the rear seats a few months later, I think it cost me $2200. While I was getting it installed, I got a p85+ loaner. I did like the Panoroof, it opens up the car but I would rarely open the roof. Back then, those two options were only $3k extra and I skimped. $3k over a 5 year loan is not really much and I think I made the wrong decision. My price was $79 vs $82k which seemed like a big difference but it really isn't. Now $79 vs $120 with what I really wanted to get, that's a difference. So if its only a few thousand difference go with what you think will make you happy.

When I went from driving my 60 with 19" rims to the p85+, the immediate differences I noticed was the interior noise was a lot louder with the P85 and the ride was a lot bumpier. I thought the acceleration was just a little quicker, I didn't notice it much different when going from the 60 to p85 but when I got my car back I really did notice it more, felt my car was sluggish. Though the 60 is pretty quick.

Great thoughts, Hawkeye (and everyone else).

I'm the original poster and two days ago, hit the "send to production" button. I'm thrilled I am done with the constant obsessing about my order and can now patiently wait for the phone call that it has arrived.

FWIW, I went with:
S85
Gray (almost went with Pearl White, but in the end just love the car in gray so much...)
Gray leather with gloss obeche (every car I've ever had has been black in side....like the airiness of the grey and wanted to push myself into new territory)
Tech (duh)
Sound system upgrade (totally went against my instincts on this one and blew the probably unnecessary dough just to avoid the inevitable "I wonder if I should have..." thoughts).
Air Suspension (another item that could have been optional...but have a steep driveway and did like the way it felt on my comparison test drive)
Parking Sensors (yay!)
Pano-roof
Active cruise control and lane departure warning system (okay...just kidding).

Great picks! I just ordered mine today after 30 days of torture
grey p85 with gray 21" turbines
black interior
roof
sound system
air suspension
tech
parking sensors
fogs
lighting
and paint armor
the only two things I'm shaky about are the + and the 2nd charger
will the + make me say "I should have" ?
will the 2nd charger have been useful in a few years?
congrats!
this will be a long 30 days for me!

Great picks! I just ordered mine today after 30 days of torture
grey p85 with gray 21" turbines
black interior
roof
sound system
air suspension
tech
parking sensors
fogs
lighting
and paint armor
the only two things I'm shaky about are the + and the 2nd charger
will the + make me say "I should have" ?
will the 2nd charger have been useful in a few years?
congrats!
this will be a long 30 days for me!

Hi John,

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

You posed two questions that are difficult to answer.

Personally, I think the Performance Plus is for folks that periodically take their cars to the track. If you don't go to the track now I think you won't have buyer's remorse.

As you no doubt know the second on-board charger is only of value if you have a High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) at home, or run across high capacity chargers in the wild. So far there are very few high capacity public chargers, but as the EVs evolve there may be more in the future. If you are a road warrior and drive a lot more than 100 miles every day, then maybe an HPWC and a second on-board charger would make sense. As far as public charging is concerned, it is more likely that Superchargers and SAE combo DC fast chargers will outpace the installation of high capacity level 2 chargers in the future so my guess is that you won't regret not getting the second on-board charger.

Larry

Larry,
I own a home theater and home automation company in Boynton Beach. We use a hardware made by Savant which utilizes Mac Minis to automate homes. Savant's software is embedded in the Mac Mini and we customize it for practically all electronics. We then use IOS devices to control the home in the same fashion the 17" screen controls the model S.
Question: how long does it take, after Iv'e confirmed an order, for me to receive a phone call from my DS or for the site to show that my P85 has gone into production?

Question: how long does it take, after Iv'e confirmed an order, for me to receive a phone call from my DS or for the site to show that my P85 has gone into production?

John,

In my case after I confirmed my order back in July, 2012 it took 5 months to receive delivery. Based on the responses in the delivery thread you might get the call in a month with final delivery a week or two later.

Larry

September 1st.

The original delivery appointment was for Oct 18th, but I am out of town that week, so we pushed it to the 21st.

Still fantasizing that it will arrive a week early, but don't know what the track record is for that once the initial delivery appointment is made.

Others have experience with that?