Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WiFi tab in the app doesn't seem to be linked to Powerwall firmware version. I'm on 21.35.3 (updated 4 days ago) and have the WiFi tab.

Release notes for PW firmware updates would be nice, but I've yet to find any.
Release notes below, but well behind the current version.

All, I have been thinking about and watching the amount of sun exposure my Powerwalls have been getting. They are located on the east side of our home, (see image), and currently are getting around 11/2 to 2 hours of direct sunlight. Come summertime, they will get a lot more than that. So I have been thinking of getting a wooden shed, cutting out the back/floor and drilling holes in the sides on the top and bottom, and sliding it over the Powerwalls to give them shade.
I know they are rated to 122 degrees F, but in the direct sun here in AZ, I think it might be more than that. The reason they were placed there was 1. due to the fact our bedroom is above the garage and 2. the difficulty and distance of the conduit run to the opposite side of our house.
So I would like to get some input on this idea. I think it may benefit me to do so.
Thanks!

Attachments

• PowerwallLocation.png
    PowerwallLocation.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 140
All, I have been thinking about and watching the amount of sun exposure my Powerwalls have been getting. They are located on the east side of our home, (see image), and currently are getting around 11/2 to 2 hours of direct sunlight. Come summertime, they will get a lot more than that. So I have been thinking of getting a wooden shed, cutting out the back/floor and drilling holes in the sides on the top and bottom, and sliding it over the Powerwalls to give them shade.
I know they are rated to 122 degrees F, but in the direct sun here in AZ, I think it might be more than that. The reason they were placed there was 1. due to the fact our bedroom is above the garage and 2. the difficulty and distance of the conduit run to the opposite side of our house.
So I would like to get some input on this idea. I think it may benefit me to do so.
Thanks!
A great way to reduce direct sun in specific areas on the side of your house is by using a sun sail shade. These “sail shades” can be mounted to your house, your concrete brick wall, or even a ground mounted post. The sails are mounted mostly horizontal but still angled to absorb the sun that would normally hit the side of your house in the morning or afternoon. I am in Gilbert AZ too and we are looking at a couple sails to shade our East facing patio, which would be mounted between our roof soffit and the block wall on our property line. Because they are really not permanent structures, and they are usually on the side or back of a house, they are often not a problem with HOAs. I will provide a photo and an example link (I have no affiliation with this company and no stated recommendation either.)
Sun sail shades

Attachments

• 633D90B4-3489-4F6B-859D-B779F0B10DA0.jpeg
    633D90B4-3489-4F6B-859D-B779F0B10DA0.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 107
A great way to reduce direct sun in specific areas on the side of your house is by using a sun sail shade. These “sail shades” can be mounted to your house, your concrete brick wall, or even a ground mounted post. The sails are mounted mostly horizontal but still angled to absorb the sun that would normally hit the side of your house in the morning or afternoon. I am in Gilbert AZ too and we are looking at a couple sails to shade our East facing patio, which would be mounted between our roof soffit and the block wall on our property line. Because they are really not permanent structures, and they are usually on the side or back of a house, they are often not a problem with HOAs. I will provide a photo and an example link (I have no affiliation with this company and no stated recommendation either.)
Sun sail shades
Thanks, but unfortunately, the distance from house to the wall is about 20ft. Also, the wall of our house at that point goes up 30ft, so the drawback would be having to put anchors into the stucco.

Thanks, but unfortunately, the distance from house to the wall is about 20ft. Also, the wall of our house at that point goes up 30ft, so the drawback would be having to put anchors into the stucco.
Ah, that requires more creative thinking…
A fairly small retractable awning is an option; they can be mounted to stucco walls. Or, simply get a large enough exterior window shade (that are everywhere here in PHX) and build a simple frame that mounts it slightly above and about 6“ out from the power walls. This should block the sun for most of the morning/afternoon (depending on direction). As long as the mounting mechanism allows easy access to the powerwall(s), this would not violate any safety codes.

Ah, that requires more creative thinking…
A fairly small retractable awning is an option; they can be mounted to stucco walls. Or, simply get a large enough exterior window shade (that are everywhere here in PHX) and build a simple frame that mounts it slightly above and about 6“ out from the power walls. This should block the sun for most of the morning/afternoon (depending on direction). As long as the mounting mechanism allows easy access to the powerwall(s), this would not violate any safety codes.
As I stated above, I purchased a wooden shed that will fit over them perfectly. I will cut out the back and floor, drill ventilation holes on the sides. This should take care of any heat from direct sun issues.

Reactions: DeepBlueMN
Ok, so as I stated in an earlier post, I was looking to shade my Powerwalls from the Summer sun later this year. I had stated I was looking for a shed to do this. So, I found one on Amazon, yes it was a bit expensive, that was the right size. I put it together, then cut the back and floor out to accomodate the Powerwalls. With it put up against the wall of our house, there is a 4" gap between the shed body and the wall. There is a 4" gap on the bottom, and it has an inch gap just under the roof where the walls meet the roof. This should allow plenty of airflow for cooling.
It looks awesome! I have included pictures so you folks can see the results. I am happy with how it turned out!

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_1600291.jpg
    IMG_20220126_1600291.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220126_1600359.jpg
    IMG_20220126_1600359.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220126_1601495.jpg
    IMG_20220126_1601495.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20220126_1627249.jpg
    IMG_20220126_1627249.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20220126_1628215.jpg
    IMG_20220126_1628215.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 69
Ok, so as I stated in an earlier post, I was looking to shade my Powerwalls from the Summer sun later this year. I had stated I was looking for a shed to do this. So, I found one on Amazon, yes it was a bit expensive, that was the right size. I put it together, then cut the back and floor out to accomodate the Powerwalls. With it put up against the wall of our house, there is a 4" gap between the shed body and the wall. There is a 4" gap on the bottom, and it has an inch gap just under the roof where the walls meet the roof. This should allow plenty of airflow for cooling.
It looks awesome! I have included pictures so you folks can see the results. I am happy with how it turned out!
I would start monitoring the temperature inside and outside for a while, especially in the heat of summer. May need to add foam insulation on the inside without blocking air circulation. While to wood has an R-1 per inch thickness, the sun may still be able to heat is enough to heat the inside above ambient temps? Or aluminum foil on the inside walls? While it is not effective for the radian wave from the sun, it will reduce heat radiation from the inside walls into the inside space and battery.

Reactions: KyleDay
I would start monitoring the temperature inside and outside for a while, especially in the heat of summer. May need to add foam insulation on the inside without blocking air circulation. While to wood has an R-1 per inch thickness, the sun may still be able to heat is enough to heat the inside above ambient temps? Or aluminum foil on the inside walls? While it is not effective for the radian wave from the sun, it will reduce heat radiation from the inside walls into the inside space and battery.
Hi Charles, my main objective was to shade them from the direct sun in the morning from around 8am to noon. There is plenty of space inside and large enough gaps to provide sufficient ventilation. According to the specs from Tesla, they are rated to 122 degrees F. With this in place they should be below that temp.
Thank you for the feedback.

Hi Charles, my main objective was to shade them from the direct sun in the morning from around 8am to noon. There is plenty of space inside and large enough gaps to provide sufficient ventilation. According to the specs from Tesla, they are rated to 122 degrees F. With this in place they should be below that temp.
Thank you for the feedback.
Put some goldstone IR reflective paint on it and it will get no heat from the sun, for extra safe measure.

Actually, I found Sherwin-Williams IR Reflective Deck Stain. The paint you suggested only comes in gray. I want to keep the nice wood tone.
Goldstone #7 is quite white, but glad you found one. Was it at the retail store or online?
This is what I paid for #7 for use in radios dish antennas (nearly 7 yrs ago):
$94.90 per gallon in one gallon containers
Connie Kelly
Triangle Coatings, Inc.
Customer Service Supervisor
T + 1 925 583 0800 Ext. 803
F + 1 925 583-0880
E [email protected]

I'd like to get some IR paint on my south facing garage door, but need to meet HOA approved colors, which has recently been greatly expanded.

The result looks really great!
I agree with charlesj, you probably should monitor the interior temp. While the “shed” does provide shade for the powerwalls, and you seem to have sufficient clearance space around the powerwalls, the enclosed space may sometimes end up being much hotter than the ambient temperature after a couple hours of direct sunshine. If you have ever watched war movies where “sheds” were used to “sweat” POWs… Well, you don’t want to accidentally torture your powerwalls!