Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anthony: You continue to push the limits with your 60 and we applaud you! But let's cut a little slack to the nice people at Carl's Jr . . . if if wasn't for them, we'd still be waiting for our first Arizona Supercharger.

Thanks, Mark. I'd like to believe Tesla would have found and deployed suitable super stations with or with or without the cooperation of one specific fast food franchise group. And I'm sure the biz-guy who made that happen is not the same guy who is in charge or restaurant building repairs and maintenance.
But I will admit, after driving two hours into the desolate desert of Arizona, seeing those pristine white monolithic stations emblazoned with the red Tesla logo, was a sight to behold.

As for pushing the limits in a 60, nah. I'm just responding to the paradigm shift, and my wife's sense of adventure. My real push of the limits will be a Model X, in Costa Rica, in 2 years, while trying to avoid the nearly 80% retail value vehicle import tax, with no real recharging infrastructure in place. I'll need a house, and a lot of solar panels, not grid-tied. (Two years is a long time in Tesla-time.)

So, that went a bit off-topic. My apologies.

As for pushing the limits in a 60, nah. I'm just responding to the paradigm shift, and my wife's sense of adventure. My real push of the limits will be a Model X, in Costa Rica, in 2 years, while trying to avoid the nearly 80% retail value vehicle import tax, with no real recharging infrastructure in place. I'll need a house, and a lot of solar panels, not grid-tied. (Two years is a long time in Tesla-time.)

So, that went a bit off-topic. My apologies.
Anthony: You will probably be the first Model X owner in Costa Rica. Hope that your solar panels can be used for a compressor to fill our scuba tanks as well as your MX. Your pioneering efforts continue! Do we need to start a "Tesla Costa Rica" thread to keep the Mods happy?

I was inspired by monsoon's Trip to the Supercharger and decided to take the Trip myself.
It was my first experience charging at a Supercharger and I can definitely say it was worth the Drive.
I left Scottsdale with 260 miles of range and had the Cruise control set at 85, which left me with about 90 miles of range once I arrived at quartzsite.
Being the only car plugged in along with the Twin Chargers onboard I was Charging at 339 mi/hr!!!
By the time I got back from walking to Subway the car had about 220 miles of range, all in about 30 mins!
The Facility was awesome, I can't wait for more of these to pop up along the road.

IMG_5904_zps9e81d83d.png
IMG_5908_zpsb94f9391.jpg

We're going to head back to NorCal from Tucson on December 1st. I plan on checking out Gila Bend and Buckeye Carl's Jr. to see if any progress. Also, will check on Indio. Anyone know if the Jackson St area in Indio, mentioned as a likely site, is any more than speculation?

Been a month without Tess...looking forward to being reunited!:biggrin:

Being the only car plugged in along with the Twin Chargers onboard I was Charging at 339 mi/hr!!!
By the time I got back from walking to Subway the car had about 220 miles of range, all in about 30 mins!

You do know that the twin chargers have nothing to do with supercharging? They only come into play when using AC. But in any case, it's a super fast charging rate.

I'm having dinner in Quartzite tonight. Wife is out of town, so the 6-year-old and I will go out for a burger... 148 miles away from my driveway in North Phoenix. "Road trip!" I can honestly say, I've never traveled that far for a fast-food meal of any type before in my life. I'm in a 60kWh Model S. She's range charging now and that will put me at 197 miles of rated range -- no range anxiety there.

This is like an Apollo 3 mission -- my wife and child will drive to Los Angeles (specifically, Camarillo) just before Christmas in the Model S, so I really hope Indio is operational by then. Really.

I'll report back, assuming I make it back. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, the Apollo 3 analogy might have been a bit of a stretch.

Is Indio a confirmed location or just speculation at this point?

We're going to head back to NorCal from Tucson on December 1st. I plan on checking out Gila Bend and Buckeye Carl's Jr. to see if any progress. Also, will check on Indio. Anyone know if the Jackson St area in Indio, mentioned as a likely site, is any more than speculation?

Been a month without Tess...looking forward to being reunited!:biggrin:

Bill, we'll be a day behind you. Taking the P85 to Gilbert on the 2nd for a protective clear coat of CQuartz Finest then on to Quartzsite that evening. Factory tour scheduled in Fremont on the 4th. It'll be our first trip in the car since we drove it home to Tucson from Scottsdale on the 16th. On the 8th we head up to the Seattle area.

Getting back to Quartzsite from the existing superchargers in California will be challenging, so fingers crossed for real progress in the Indio/Palm Springs area.

And I hope Gila Bend or Buckeye are online by the time we return around Dec 20. It's a lllooonnnggg way from Quartzsite to NE Tucson...

Talked with Margaret Levecke the President of MJKL Enterprises this afternoon. She was very nice and indicated that the Tesla SC/Carl's Jr program is her responsibility. She indicated that the next two projects being worked on are Gila Bend, and Kingman. She said they are working through permitting and utility arrangements. She was hopeful both would be completed by the end of the year. I asked her if any of the local ownership of MJKL owned a Tesla and she laughed and said, "Not yet." Though she said that one of the major investors owned one, but he lives in Portland. She was most willing to chat and offered her direct line telephone number. I was not in a position to write it down, but will get it next time I call.

I wonder if I'm the only one reading this thread who thinks it's more than just a touch awkward to discuss eating at BK or Subway while parked at Carl's. As for me, while I might prefer dining at Binkley's, I wouldn't grind Tap Haus's nose by talking about parking there..... :confused:

Bill, we'll be a day behind you. Taking the P85 to Gilbert on the 2nd for a protective clear coat of CQuartz Finest then on to Quartzsite that evening. Factory tour scheduled in Fremont on the 4th. It'll be our first trip in the car since we drove it home to Tucson from Scottsdale on the 16th. On the 8th we head up to the Seattle area.

Getting back to Quartzsite from the existing superchargers in California will be challenging, so fingers crossed for real progress in the Indio/Palm Springs area.

And I hope Gila Bend or Buckeye are online by the time we return around Dec 20. It's a lllooonnnggg way from Quartzsite to NE Tucson...

Let me know how the drive up to Seattle goes... We're likely doing that trip next summer (my in-laws are in BC). We toyed with doing the trip at Christmas this year, but ended up buying airline tickets in Sept (prices were lower than expected...)...

Remember that there is a HPWC at Chiriaco Summit (just up the hill from Indio), and also some Roadster HPCs with Model S adapters at Tesla's parking spots at Scottsdale Fashion square... Better than nothing!

I wonder if I'm the only one reading this thread who thinks it's more than just a touch awkward to discuss eating at BK or Subway while parked at Carl's. As for me, while I might prefer dining at Binkley's, I wouldn't grind Tap Haus's nose by talking about parking there..... :confused:

In my opinion, reporting facts are just fine. I personally just contributed to the local economy of Quartzite (something I've never done before) only because the Tesla Charges are there. Regardless of which place I chose to eat, someone in Quartzite keeps his/her job, gets another paycheck, and likely spends some of it somewhere in Quartzite.

If I owned that Carl's Jr., and I saw I was attracting new customers (and um, high-end customers), I'd remodel that store tonight! That's just the reality of competition.

Apologies again for going off-topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Indio a confirmed location or just speculation at this point?

It was reported to be under construction, no official announcement yet as to date of activation. But from what I've been reading, once construction begins, it seems to be about 4-6 weeks to activation. No spreadsheet or graphs -- just gut recall.

Disappointing, but I've decided Indio and El Centro are higher priority from my perspective. Because with Quartzsite done, then with those, LA and SD are accessible.

Agree... Phoenix to San Diego via Quartzsite and El Centro is a whopping 13 miles longer than taking the traditional route through Gila Bend and Yuma...

But Indio is the missing link right now -- once that opens, we're completely connected to the rest of the west coast corridor...