Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on your pending delivery! No other comments about other locations. They also only installed 90's here and not sure why they didn't do 120. Oh well, it was still nice to see a charge rate of 165 miles per hour even with all 8 bays being used.

Thank you for the pictures. One of the vehicles is externally the same as I ordered, so I can more easily visualize it :)

Did the Tesla personnel make any statements about estimated or target Supercharger locations and times elsewhere in AZ?

I hope I can make it to the Gila Bend ribbon cutting!

Models S due in 1 day 21 hours 37 minutes... but who's counting?

- - - Updated - - -

No solar yet but they are supposed to be adding it at some point in the near future.

Are these grid tied and partially solar powered? I didn't see a PV array anywhere.

@IrishStoutAZ.. thanks for catching a picture of me scratching my ass.. well close anyway.. :D nice shots I stole a couple of yours..

2013-11-14 09.56.20.jpg

Holbrook, AZ Supercharger Site

Here is a short video I took of the Holbrook, AZ supercharger site on Hwy 77 right off the I40 Holbrook exit. The current parking lot is pretty small, but it appears that there is room in the back of the dirt lot. Obviously there is no construction yet, as the permit probably has not been issued. The Carl's Jr. does not have the Green Burrito, but all their soft drink sizes are 79¢. There is a McDonalds that is open 24hrs/day next door to the west and a Taco Bell across the street. A Pizza Hut is also close by.

I traveled from our mountain home in Pinetop, AZ which is about 62 miles away using Hwy 77 which runs through Show Low, Taylor and Snowflake. There is also easy access to Hwy 180 which takes you into the Petrified National Forest and a gigantic gift shop (Jim Grays Petrified Wood Co.) at the intersection of Hwy 77 and Hwy 180. The round trip took about 264 Wh/mi with about a 2100ft elevation change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having dinner in Quartzite tonight. Wife is out of town, so the 6-year-old and I will go out for a burger... 148 miles away from my driveway in North Phoenix. "Road trip!" I can honestly say, I've never traveled that far for a fast-food meal of any type before in my life. I'm in a 60kWh Model S. She's range charging now and that will put me at 197 miles of rated range -- no range anxiety there.

This is like an Apollo 3 mission -- my wife and child will drive to Los Angeles (specifically, Camarillo) just before Christmas in the Model S, so I really hope Indio is operational by then. Really.

I'll report back, assuming I make it back. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, the Apollo 3 analogy might have been a bit of a stretch.

@Cottonwood, yes, I've been following that thread. Funny thing is, until a year ago, we actually had family living in Pagosa Springs, and with that route, it would be feasible to visit them in our 60kWh Model S via super charging. They've since moved back to Phoenix, so we'll have to adventure West. We've already done Las Vegas courtesy of an overnight stay/recharge at the KOA campground in Kingman. That was a great trip! Learned a lot about range anxiety too. (Truth, my wife is the one who puts these challenges in front of me. She decides where and when we're going, and tells me to figure out a way to do it.)

I do love her.

I'm having dinner in Quartzite tonight. Wife is out of town, so the 6-year-old and I will go out for a burger... 148 miles away from my driveway in North Phoenix. "Road trip!" I can honestly say, I've never traveled that far for a fast-food meal of any type before in my life. I'm in a 60kWh Model S. She's range charging now and that will put me at 197 miles of rated range -- no range anxiety there.

This is like an Apollo 3 mission -- my wife and child will drive to Los Angeles (specifically, Camarillo) just before Christmas in the Model S, so I really hope Indio is operational by then. Really.

I'll report back, assuming I make it back. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, the Apollo 3 analogy might have been a bit of a stretch.

Having done Scottsdale to Quartzsite, or actually Scottsdale to Chiriaco Summit (236 miles on an 85 pack), all I gotta say is, set it at 60 and relax in the slow lane. Don't plan on going faster until you've made the trip a few times. Also BE AWARE that the heater on will suck your battery far more than air conditioning. No defogging, no fresh air fanning in if the inside temp is set warmer than outside temp.

Have fun.

To Quartzite and back (for a burger!)

Having done Scottsdale to Quartzsite, or actually Scottsdale to Chiriaco Summit (236 miles on an 85 pack), all I gotta say is, set it at 60 and relax in the slow lane. Don't plan on going faster until you've made the trip a few times. Also BE AWARE that the heater on will suck your battery far more than air conditioning. No defogging, no fresh air fanning in if the inside temp is set warmer than outside temp.

We made it. Trip details and a few photos to prove we did it.
Outdoor temperatures ranged from 72 degrees when we left to 65 after sundown.
Used headlights (obviously) and no climate control -- perfect driving weather.
No significant winds.
No meaningful elevation change, although Quartzite is about 300" downhill from Phoenix -- takes more energy to get back.

Model S 60kWh, range charged Saturday to 197 miles rated range. I drove 65 mph in town and 80 mph once out of town. I arrived with 29 remaining rated range.
No other cars here charging -- apparently Carl's Jr. in Qaurtzite on a Saturday night isn't the local hot-spot.

Super charging is really cool -- and fast, at least up to the 80% point. That really needs to be figured into anyone's time calculations -- super charging back to 100% does cost you quite a bit of additional time. I was getting impatient so I stopped once I hit 170 miles rated range, with 130 projected to get home. I cut very close. I slowed down coming back to Phoenix, 70 mph out of town and 60 mph in-town. (Roblab is exactly right -- just slow down and relax!) I pulled into my driveway with 13 miles rated range remaining.

Quartzite-1.JPG

Quartzite-3.JPG

Quartzite-4.JPG

The recharging was 156 miles per hour, 350 volts, 72 amps.

The Carls' Jr is..., um, well, it could use a little maintenance and remodeling. I'm also suspicious of any guacamole on a burger in a exit-ramp fast food restaurant in Quartzite. It is open 24 hours.
There is also a Burger King right across the street.

We made it.

The Carls' Jr is..., um, well, it could use a little maintenance and remodeling. I'm also suspicious of any guacamole on a burger in a exit-ramp fast food restaurant in Quartzite. It is open 24 hours.
There is also a Burger King right across the street.
Anthony: You continue to push the limits with your 60 and we applaud you! But let's cut a little slack to the nice people at Carl's Jr . . . if if wasn't for them, we'd still be waiting for our first Arizona Supercharger.