Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery today. Lucky with VIN becoming available. It matched except for FSD that was taken off. The windows sticker shows FSD and current pricing so its nice to see that if you have ordered before all the price increases (5k for me). Car is in excellent condition, all USB-c are there and work. Delivery was very smooth, 100$ five year tag is taken care of by Tesla vis power of attorney and forms that were refilled. Good Luck to everyone.
Congratulations! Glad you got yours before year end as well!

Reactions: brad787
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Polestar 2. Not that I'm in the market for one after just getting my model Y, but I'm curious. In early November, I took the shuttle van up to Sky Harbor and met my son who flew in to join me for the Tesla acquisition and accessory installations. One of the first places we went with the MY was over to the Fashion Square Mall to look at the Lucid showroom (very interesting) and unexpectedly there was a Polestar 2 display at the food court there, so we talked to the rep about it for a while.

I'm a Volvo guy from way back (mostly ancient ones) so I have some interest in the Polestar brand, but actually I think it's one of the first completely made-in-China cars to be sold here (plenty more coming it seems). Frankly I like the idea of the Lucid better, and I hope they do well because it would be great to have an Arizona-built car someday. In the meantime I'm thrilled with the Tesla!
So far, not that impressed. Range appears to be 230 miles at full charge, its noticeably slower than my 2018 S, the ride is rougher (as it should be, it has the performance package with Ohlins suspension, and it squeaks and rattles a lot). The UI is horrible to me, takes forever to find settings. The lane keeping was a total letdown as it could not maintain around a gradual curve on the highway. The gold (yellow?) seat belts are hideous. I feel cramped in the drivers seat with that huge center console, and my elbow hits the flip up armrest point. I don't have a lot of great things to say about it.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
You have to get the Energy Efficient plate. The program ended for regular cars but Ev still qualifies.

So really the only way to get any Ev state incentives in Arizona is to have a specific license plate design and that single incentive is HOV access 🙄. I mean its cool but its worthless once you leave the state on say a road trip because its only "valid" in AZ and it has no real tangible value.

Man I really want that discounted registration lol. Thats actually worth a couple grand in the long run.
I ordered my first Tesla M3LR a few weeks ago with EDD of Jan 2022. From AZ DOT seems to me the Energy Efficient plate program is not available any more. Can anyone confirm that we can still get HOV access? Thanks.

I ordered my first Tesla M3LR a few weeks ago with EDD of Jan 2022. From AZ DOT seems to me the Energy Efficient plate program is not available any more. Can anyone confirm that we can still get HOV access? Thanks.
I'm not sure about the moniker "Energy Efficient Plate". When you buy a Tesla you get a plate that says "Alternative Fuel Vehicle". This qualifies you for a savings on the vehicle license tax, not as good for cars purchased after January 1st 2022 as before, but still significant:

Prior Post - Table of AZ VLT for EVs

And it still seems to qualify for HOV access per this page:

Alternative Fuel Vehicle | ADOT

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the moniker "Energy Efficient Plate". When you buy a Tesla you get a plate that says "Alternative Fuel Vehicle". This qualifies you for a savings on the vehicle license tax, not as good for cars purchased after January 1st 2022 as before, but still significant:

Prior Post - Table of AZ VLT for EVs

And it still seems to qualify for HOV access per this page:

Alternative Fuel Vehicle | ADOT
Thanks for the clarification. The HOV access would help a lot driving to Scottsdale on 101 everyday.

Quick google search

The FAST Act extended the ability for public authorities to offer HOV access for low emission and energy-efficient vehicles, such as HEVs, through 2019, if the vehicles pay a toll. AFVs and plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) may continue to be granted free or discounted access to HOV lanes through 2025.8,9 The specific vehicle models states choose to exempt has been informed by vehicle purchase trends and technology advancements to prevent significant HOV lane congestion.

Interesting, hope they forget about it!
Many of us believe that EVs will come on much stronger than market-watchers predict, sometime in this decade. (This will likely force a shake-out and the big carmakers that aren't being aggressive enough in the switch-over of design, drivetrain and battery production will get squeezed out.)

But at some point, sooner than expected, the special status of EVs in the HOV lane will have to be abandoned. There will just be too many of them and EVs won't be "special" anymore.

Before that happens, there could be a social and political backlash (we already see it). Treating ICE drivers as second-class citizens is going to backfire. HOV lane access and privileged parking or even free charging in some locations already brings resentment. And both citizens and politicians are figuring out that gas-tax revenues can't be used for ICE owners to subsidize EV owners forever. I'd suggest that we try not to have this be yet another thing that divides us. EVs are going to win the market based on technology and economic advantages; IMO we really don't need some unnecessary environmental-justice-superiority clouding the issue.

Just got my plates in the mail yesterday for my 22 model Y. $108 for five years. I’ll take it.
Yes I appreciated that also!

I also went to the hardware store that day, because I bought one of the silicone license plate wrap/frames from Amazon, and the four supplied screws were barely long enough for the temporary paper license, much less the real plate + any kind of frame or backer. You can buy Metric M5 or SAE 10-32, they are essentially the same thread, and I also added some washers to spread the force. I want to protect my 5 year "cloudy blue" plate!

Reactions: Tinaatwt