Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aroundview Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could have sworn I read something that would allow us to see around the car in the app. I know sentry mode allowed people to see the vehicle on the app in sentry mode or whatever for awhile now. The only thing I can find is under security and live view camera when sentry mode is on. Is that all there is? It won't even turn it on when I'm in the car and I actually want to see it. Just trying to confirm that I'm not missing something obvious here.

so I can't use it in the car? Some things are awesome about Tesla, but some things are mind boggling. My wifes Lexus can show the car on the screen but Tesla can't. It can do blind spot too which Tesla can't.
Your Tesla can't show the car on the screen?

I suppose my Tesla is different than yours. I see my blind spot just fine on the screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
One of the things I treasured on my previous few cars is the 360-degree camera system. It was great for making sure you're centered in a parking spot, backing out of tight spaces, etc. I actually just wrote Tesla asking why it can't be done - hell, this car is studded with cameras, and it seems like it's just a software update away from implementation. If Kia can do it, Tesla should be able to!

One of the things I treasured on my previous few cars is the 360-degree camera system. It was great for making sure you're centered in a parking spot, backing out of tight spaces, etc. I actually just wrote Tesla asking why it can't be done - hell, this car is studded with cameras, and it seems like it's just a software update away from implementation. If Kia can do it, Tesla should be able to!

What do you see on the screen once you park?

Question. How does the tech of Kia actually work on their 360 degree camera view?

A kia optima (or any kia) . A low sitting vehicle. How does a kia optima see the top of a pickup truck sitting right next to it in a parking spot? How does the kia optima draw the top of that pickup truck on the screen? Is it really a camera view?

Tesla literally does not have the cameras for it. The front cameras are not low enough (it needs to be under license plate) and the side cameras are not aimed low enough either (they are typically on mirrors in other cars and aimed directly on the ground).

If you have 2023.20.4.1 you can preview all the cameras in the car and see for yourself there are huge blindspots that make the cameras unsuitable for a stitched 360 camera view.
You Can Now View All 9 Tesla Camera Feeds In Your Car (Well, Some Of You) - CleanTechnica

The blind spots should still be able to let it be stitched. If it can tell when I’m next to a car on the highway it can figure out if I’m centered in a parking space. It has an auto park feature if you pay for it.

I contend that no camera is high enough to give a real true 360 view.

Question. If your Tesla has cameras below the roof line...then how would it give a 15 foot high 360 top-down view?

Unless- it superimposes a guess as to what it and all objects look like from the top. I watch the Kona 360 rearview camera view when activated and it's NOT a 360 view. It smashes the cars on each side down to a skewed guestimate of that they look like from the top and sides. Same holds true for BMW and others. Yet people think this is a true picture. HOW?

There are no cameras hovering 30 feet above the car to give a "camera" view. It's a superimposed guess - and often a bad guess. I certainly wouldn't trust it to drive by.

I mean - look at the things around the Tundra. Can you make out any object around the car on the video on the right? Yet. this guy is super impressed with the "HD" view. What? I suppose that's a 360 degree camera view that everyone is asking for.

Tesla- please don't do this. If you can't actually see a 100 foot tree or a 6 foot truck from the top down. Please don't try to show me.

Last edited:
Well, maybe we will get a 3.5 foot high true view. I'm not sure if the owners will see it, but the wiper system will.

Breaking Down Auto Wiper v4​

Auto wipers v4 is set to overhaul Tesla's current wiper system by integrating video from all of Tesla's onboard cameras into a single 360-degree view, according to Musk. This innovative approach will provide the system with a better understanding of weather conditions, leading to a more accurate and responsive wiper system. Musk acknowledges the need for improvement in this area, referring to it as "one of the last neural nets Tesla is updating from a single camera, single frame NN to surround video."

Until Tesla's get a bumper camera the 360 deg view wont happen, as for blind spots and cross traffic alerts, those require sensors at the the edge of rear bumpers which again tesla does not have and hence will never provide the same experience.

Also for birds eye view, obviously not everything you see is real however the stuff you see on ground is really stitched well, currently the side cameras have lower resolution than front and back so even if they stitch it the image quality will be off. So they will have to either upgrade the low resolution cameras or somehow match the resolutions for all the current ones to provide a decent 360 degree view

Last edited:
Until Tesla's get a bumper camera the 360 deg view wont happen, as for blind spots and cross traffic alerts, those require sensors at the the edge of rear bumpers which again tesla does not have and hence will never provide the same experience.
When I park my car and look at all 9 cameras....I see 360 degrees. The front repeaters and the rear camera cover the entire back and side of the car just fine for parking or near proximity stuff.

But how do you get the world famous 360 view from 3.5 feet off the ground?

When I park my car and look at all 9 cameras....I see 360 degrees. The front repeaters and the rear camera cover the entire back and side of the car just fine.
There is no camera that can provide accurate depth of field at the front of the car, which is probably the most important view for these sorts of applications.

Nor are the side cameras particularly useful - they’re aimed out to see other cars, not the ground. Pull up your sentry live view - can you see the lines for the parking spot you’re in? I doubt it.

Reactions: stopcrazypp