Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aroundview Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. Congratulations? Regardless of what you personally want, plenty of people find such a view very useful when navigating in very tight spaces and no the current cameras are not sufficient to replicate a top down 360 view.

Especially now that they did away with USS, having a camera see the front bumper and front fenders of the car will let you get within inches of an obstacle. Even USS stops showing distance at 12 inches.

So you like the camera video on the right here as well? For tight spaces? What's to the right or left of that Tundra in the 360 view?

As I've said many times here - To each their own.

Reactions: rpiotro
Question: If the visualization were perfect and showed all objects accurately, would we be happy?

tempImage1pH67y.jpg

Reactions: dusty22 and rpiotro
Question: If the visualization were perfect and showed all objects accurately, would we be happy?

View attachment 978010

There is no way to make everyone happy.

However, all of the mature can be satisfied.

I made that up for my kids. I tried to raise them to be mature as it's a much easier life.

Last edited:
Reactions: PianoAl and rpiotro
So you like the camera video on the right here as well? For tight spaces? What's to the right or left of that Tundra in the 360 view?

As I've said many times here - To each their own.
It doesn’t matter what the object is. That’s not the purpose of the 360 camera view. The purpose is just to see there is an object there that I don’t want to hit with my car so I will not maneuver the car into that area.

Of course the 360 camera is just a supplement to actually looking out of the windows and mirrors. The camera view just helps you see things you can’t see with your naked eyes and mirrors because the car is not transparent.

But to answer your question, it seems to be red landscaping mulch on the edge of the driveway. That’s something you would know if you were actually there and driving up or you looked around before you got into the car to back up. Not just a 5 second clip of a video with no context. When you’re driving in real life, you don’t just suddenly get dropped into a random location and have to figure out where you are based on camera images like a video game.

Wow, some strong feelings here. I PERSONALLY love the 360-view camera system. A lot. It's very helpful in parking between the lines (which I'm a stickler for, to protect my doors), and for helping me back out and avoid rutting my yard at the edge of the driveway, scraping against my shrubs, hitting other cars parked behind me, and so on.

No, no one thinks it launches a quadcopter to hover above your car and stream live video, but it does a surprisingly accurate job of representing your vehicle and objects around it. The Tesla's rearview camera is good, but it's kind of a tunnel-vision view even with the side views, whereas the 360 cameras show you a birds-eye view of you and everything around you.

I might add that most vehicles with 360 cameras also show your front or rear tire(s), which is an immense help in parking close to curbs without incurring rash.

If it's not your thing, that's fine, but once most people use one, anything else is lacking.

Wow, some strong feelings here. I PERSONALLY love the 360-view camera system. A lot.

If it's not your thing, that's fine, but once most people use one, anything else is lacking.

I still have strong views about the current 360 views of other OEMs out there, however I have to stop discussing it because it was on the brink of becoming personal and not technical. The best way to keep things from being personal is to let people have the last word.

Last edited:
They stitched 4 180 degree X 180 degree camera views - live?

All the way to the ground?
Yes, live view all the way to ground which make parking easier and also avoid curb rashes. I understand its not for you but many here including myself find it useful and wish that Tesla would also provide similar if not same(they can always animate things instead of showing live view).

And its ok if you don't agree, to each their own :)