Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aroundview Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no camera that can provide accurate depth of field at the front of the car, which is probably the most important view for these sorts of applications.

Nor are the side cameras particularly useful - they’re aimed out to see other cars, not the ground. Pull up your sentry live view - can you see the lines for the parking spot you’re in? I doubt it.

I don't need to see depth of field for a 360-camera view. I'm looking at my cameras right now and I'm not missing any objects in view 360 degrees around my car. I'm comparing a Tesla to these other supposed Genius OEM's 360 top-down views from 30 feet in the air.

I just need to know that I won't hit a curb, or another car and my car does that using 2023.27.6 just fine. I get all of the necessary dings and measurements as I always have.

When I park my car and look at all 9 cameras....I see 360 degrees. The front repeaters and the rear camera cover the entire back and side of the car just fine for parking or near proximity stuff.

But how do you get the world famous 360 view from 3.5 feet off the ground?
There seems to be some confusion about what 360 view is.

Yes the Tesla cameras together technically provide a 360 degree outward view. But 360 view cameras in the context of cars refer to a top down/“Birds Eye” 360 surround view that allows you to see all around all sides of the car to maneuver in tight spaces and help you align the car when parking.

They use wide angle cameras pointing downward. No you won’t be able to see the top of other cars next to you because that’s not the purpose of the cameras. They are meant to look at the ground and 1-2ft around the car.

The tesla backup and repeater cameras can help with reversing but they can’t see the front third of the car. Eg the front wheels to help prevent curbing when parallel parking or around the front bumper. That would be especially helpful in the newer cars without USS.

Reactions: Technokrat
When I park my car and look at all 9 cameras....I see 360 degrees. The front repeaters and the rear camera cover the entire back and side of the car just fine for parking or near proximity stuff.

But how do you get the world famous 360 view from 3.5 feet off the ground?
The 360 Deg view I referred to was the one provided by other cars. They do it with just 4 cameras, One on Front bumper, Regular reverse camera and Two camera's in the outside rear view mirror housing facing downwards with a wide angle view.

Also this view call whatever you want to call it (360 Degree/ Birds eye view etc etc) is significantly better than the simulation Tesla shows.

There seems to be some confusion about what 360 view is.

The tesla backup and repeater cameras can help with reversing but they can’t see the front third of the car. Eg

Sure. The car CAN see the front third of the car with the b pillar cameras. All Teslas can do that.

I'm telling you - I can see a full 360 degrees around my P3D using all 8 cameras. No missing spots.

The blind spots should still be able to let it be stitched. If it can tell when I’m next to a car on the highway it can figure out if I’m centered in a parking space. It has an auto park feature if you pay for it.
It can tell there's a car because the car is well above the ground. The cameras however don't show what is on the ground in the front half of the car. Only the rear view camera and the rear facing side cameras (on the blinkers) are low enough to show the ground immediately next to the car (and you can always show that view by pressing the camera icon and swiping up to show the side cameras).

The software does some guesstimating to show the 3D visualization, but people aren't talking about that. They are talking about about the cameras feed literally showing the curb and line markings around the car, and the blindspots on the Tesla cameras make that literally impossible.

Sure. The car CAN see the front third of the car with the b pillar cameras. All Teslas can do that.

I'm telling you - I can see a full 360 degrees around my P3D using all 8 cameras. No missing spots.
Here's a picture to demonstrate why a true 360 stitched parking view is not possible for a Tesla:
FqQj7eTX0AA7Qnj.jpg:large

The ones that have the 360 parking view have a camera mounted on the front bumper so that there is video of the ground right in front of the car.

Reactions: ucmndd
Please show me the angle that gives you precise distance and views of objects on the ground in front of you.

You aren't hearing me - I don't need views of anything. I trust the car. My P3D right now shows me inches to the curb when I'm at the forrest preserve - as I'm driving up to it.. Nothing in front of me but a curb that is 3 inches high.

It starts dinging and alerting me about 2 or 3 feet away.

Yours doesn't do that?

Here's a picture to demonstrate why a true 360 stitched parking view is not possible for a Tesla:
FqQj7eTX0AA7Qnj.jpg:large

The ones that have the view have a camera mounted on the front bumper so that there is video of the ground right in front of the car.

I don't want that in 360 view. I could care less what is 1 feet high ahead of me. I'm leaving that up to the car to alert me - and it does.

We are talking about 2 different things.

You aren't hearing me - I don't need views of anything.
You understand we're talking about the ability to provide a 360 degree camera here, right? As in, views of the outside of the car that are useful for navigation in tight spots? You actually DO need cameras that can see things up close to the car to provide that experience.
It starts dinging and alerting me about 2 or 3 feet away.

Yours doesn't do that?
You're referring to ultrasonic sensors, which while useful, don't really have anything to do with a 360 degree Birds Eye camera. Also worth noting, new cars don't have those ultrasonic sensors at all as of earlier this year.

You understand we're talking about the ability to provide a 360 degree camera here, right? As in, views of the outside of the car that are useful for navigation in tight spots? You actually DO need cameras that can see things up close to the car to provide that experience.

You're referring to ultrasonic sensors, which while useful, don't really have anything to do with a 360 degree Birds Eye camera. Also worth noting, new cars don't have those ultrasonic sensors at all as of earlier this year.

I don't have Ultrasonic sensors working on my current software update. I proved it by removing one of them and autopilot still worked - unlike 6 months ago.

I'm referring to the right side of the screen in this video of a vehicle that supposedly has 360 views that everyone wants.

That's better than Teslas animated view? Tell me what that is in front of that bumper camera.

Or maybe folks like that kind of stuff better. Ok well...to each their own is all I have to say.

I don't want that in 360 view. I could care less what is 1 feet high ahead of me. I'm leaving that up to the car to alert me - and it does.

We are talking about 2 different things.
Then you are off topic for this thread. People are talking exactly about objects a feet high around them or even right on the ground. That's what the 360 stitched parking views in other cars are designed to show.

In case anyone doubts, as per below article, you can now preview all 9 cameras in the car:
You Can Now View All 9 Tesla Camera Feeds In Your Car (Well, Some Of You) - CleanTechnica

From the article, you can see the front cameras are literally blind to what is immediately in front of it (below is the widest camera):
Screenshot_20230928-102015(1).png

The B-pillar camera does not show the ground immediately next to the car (while the mirror cameras in other cars do):
Screenshot_20230928-101753(1).png

The only cameras suitably low for the 360 view are the rear view camera and the side rear facing cameras, but you can already show those permanently by pressing the camera icon.

Then you are off topic for this thread. People are talking exactly about objects a feet high around them or even right on the ground. That's what the 360 stitched parking views in other cars are designed to show.

In case anyone doubts, as per below article, you can now preview all 9 cameras in the car:
You Can Now View All 9 Tesla Camera Feeds In Your Car (Well, Some Of You) - CleanTechnica

From the article, you can see the front cameras are literally blind to what is immediately in front of it (below is the widest camera):
View attachment 977911

The B-pillar camera does not show the ground immediately next to the car (while the mirror cameras in other cars do):
View attachment 977909

The only cameras suitably low for the 360 view are the rear view camera and the side rear facing cameras, but you can already show those permanently by pressing the camera icon.

I don't need a view of the ground all the way around the car.

Did you see the Tundra Video above? It has 360 view on the right of the screen right? It has a bumper camera. What is in front of the bumper camera? A house? Another car? A person? However it's 360 view right?

I'm just going to leave it as - to each their own.

What is a 360 degree camera for if not precisely that?

Here's a real example from our Chrysler Pacifica I did just a minute ago, showing how critical a ground-facing front camera is to this application.

IMG_0058.jpegIMG_0057.jpeg

Put Mr. Bear 18 inches from your front bumper and pull up your sentry live view. Tell me what you see.

Reactions: E90alex
I don't have Ultrasonic sensors working on my current software update. I proved it by removing one of them and autopilot still worked - unlike 6 months ago.
That's incorrect. Having AP still work is irrelevant to whether they are working during park assist mode. Tesla literally says as long as you have ultrasonic sensors, they aren't changing the software to remove their usage.
"Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet."

If your car can't show ping lines on the immediate left or right of the car (not talking about next to fenders, but lines even next to b-pillar as per below), it isn't using Vision-only parking assist.
vision-park-assist-2.jpg

There have so far been no USS equipped car demonstrated to use Vision-only park assist. If you are claiming your USS equipped car is doing so, do you have a shot of the screen during Park Assist mode to demonstrate it?

Another way to test is use an object to test the front sensors. With USS if you move a solid object in front of the sensor even in the cameras' blind spots, it would be able to detect it and estimate the distance. With Vision, it wouldn't know.
I'm referring to the right side of the screen in this video of a vehicle that supposedly has 360 views that everyone wants.

That's better than Teslas animated view? Tell me what that is in front of that bumper camera.

Or maybe folks like that kind of stuff better. Ok well...to each their own is all I have to say.
Yes, that's exactly what some people want, especially if their car does not have USS.

Did you see the Tundra Video above? It has 360 view on the right of the screen right? It has a bumper camera. What is in front of the bumper camera? A house? Another car? A person? However it's 360 view right?

I'm just going to leave it as - to each their own.
They don't care that the object is distorted in the view, only that it shows clearly if there is an object in front, or if they are parking, where the lines/curb are. Tesla's current camera views (even if you use the new preview camera function) can't do this for the areas ahead of the front fender camera.

Ok. Congratulations? Regardless of what you personally want, plenty of people find such a view very useful when navigating in very tight spaces and no the current cameras are not sufficient to replicate a top down 360 view.

Especially now that they did away with USS, having a camera see the front bumper and front fenders of the car will let you get within inches of an obstacle. Even USS stops showing distance at 12 inches.