Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article on potential security vulnerability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is newly demonstrated, but probably not news for those who study this sort of thing.

Read attached for details, but consider turning your Bluetooth off when leaving your car depending on your risk tolerance...(PIN to drive also but that won't prevent unlocking)

I've read the "hack" scenario, and it's really pretty narrow. Criminals would have to have fancy equipment, plan ahead, and manage to be standing within 7 meters of myself and my cellphone while also standing a similar distance from my car while I don't notice. I park in my garage, so this happens... just about never in any way a criminal could count on.

It would be easier to simply mug the valet at the favorite beach restaurant I go to than pull off this exploit (and then they'd have a working key-card as a bonus for their efforts). I am not worrying about that attack vector, and not worrying about this one either.

It would be easier for them to just steal your phone.

If you think about it even the car key is exploited. I've see people lock pick doors and start cars on YouTube. I even seen one where the guy makes a working key in the car from a blank.

Last edited: