Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

artsci's Model S modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hummbaby, that does look really nice!

I'm looking to do 3 things immediately, install the K90 Laser Jammer and Radar Detector, tint the windows and carbon fiber wrap the grey area's on the Model S (under the doors, the front bumper lip closest to the ground and the rear panel closest to the ground).

- - - Updated - - -

@Hummbaby, Where is Vinyl Wraps located, tried to private you but you need to clear some space the system says... :)

Looks great! I might have to wrap some of the chrome on my car.

What did wrapping all the chrome trim cost? (Feel free to PM, I'm just wondering what I might have to pay to do the same here).

Here's the simplest of mods, similar to PorscheDealer, but 1) with vinyl wrap and 2) no wrap around the mirror.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8528/8547902814_9129f3c0ce_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8547906470_770503bbaf_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8546809913_a3854ff405_c.jpg

Shout out to Lyle of Vinyl Wraps.

Just as big of a shout out to Jeremy of Invisguard (clear bra) and Rob of AutoProFilms (tints). Both are perfectionists and very reasonably priced. Jeremy went out of his way to even fix something that wasn't his fault!

Thanks for the compliments! I've been photoshopping and collecting photos since last May (Sign in to Yahoo!). Can't believe I'm finally driving this. Well worth the wait!

Here's a breakdown of Vinyl Style's fees:
$250 for the door trim - He broke off the top sill in two parts. If you want it as one part, it'll be more. In my opinion, no one will notice that its split in two.
$200 for the front grill and trunk trim -> The grill is considerably tougher than the trunk, so I forgot how he itemized this.

Cost is significantly more than plasti-dipping, but I don't trust my workmanship. Lyle is a super nice guy to talk to and easy to work with.

Send us links to your mods! I'd like to see a fully wrapped S!

You should be able to go wider than 245 at least on the rear. Elon's Model S had 265's on the rear at one point. (I've got 255's all around on 19x8.5 wheels, although I think I may occasionally get rubbing in the front with the wheel turned all the way while driving in reverse).

You can go with a 275 on a 20" by 10" wheel. I did.
DSC_9296.JPG
DSC_9291.JPG

This is with 20.8.5 front and 20x10 rear both with 38mm offset. "medium" ceramic tint all around.

If no one has responded to you yet, Technik 1 in NYC has worked on Roadsters for several ears and done model S. ask for Gus. For full disclosure I have not used him yet but only because I haven't had a chance to get to him yet. If you hear of others in the area I'd love to know.

Platinum Motorsports in Los Angeles will be customizing my "S" in April

-Full REAL Carbon Fiber Package (front diffuser, rear diffuser, and both side view mirror housings)
-"Porsche Red" Brake Calipers with TESLA logo (I could have opted for yellow as well)
-black out all chrome with high gloss black powdercoat including door handles, window trim, rear trim strip and front grill (leaving chrome "T" badging)
-3M tint already applied
-Xpel Full Bra (self healing) protection already applied

I would do it all now except the whole process will take a week and I cant be away from my new baby so soon...so April 15th it is...

I'm dealing with the owner George and he told me to spread the word on the Forums and he would offer Tesla Forum Members a special discount for mentioning that they/you were referred by me. As the Fleet Manager at Beverly Hills Porsche we have had many cars customized by the guys at Platinum and they always do very good work.

George Keshishyan
President

Platinum Motorsport

Web Site - http://www.platinummotorsport.com
TWITTER - http://www.twitter.com/gplatinum

323.935.9222 Showroom

How much is he charging for the carbon fiber diffuser front and back? PM me if you would like, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I replied a couple days ago, but guess the forum moderator didn't like the link I posted.

Thanks for the compliments! (although black is a pain in the buttocks to keep clean....)

Cost of the vinyl wrap:
$250 for the area around the door windows
$200 for the trunk trim and front grill/nose guard trim. The latter was much more difficult than the trunk trim.

Anyone doing a full wrap?

As with anything imitation...the vinyl wraps ALWAYS show creases eventually and tend to peel away from the surface (with temperature change...either hot or cold). Also the wraps are "pictures" of carbon fiber as opposed to a real carbon fiber overlay...which is what I am doing. The CF overlay is about 2x-3x as much but also looks 10x better in my opinion. The CF will basically match the factory REAL CF spoiler...high gloss clear-coat, etc

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my car PRE-CF
IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking the MS in tomorrow to get tint, vinyl and a full PPF. Pretty pumped. Going the "murdered out" look. Not really interested in CF-look vinyl as it always looks tacky when up close, so I'm just going to go for all blacks and grays. I'm hoping that true CF parts come out in the future for some bits on the Model S other than the spoiler.

PorscheDealer, for your turn signals, is the Tesla T cut out, or is the vinyl over the top? I'm hoping my shop can cut out the T so that it'll still shine through, but it's pretty small and intricate. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Our cars are basically twins. I'll post some before and after pics as well, but your's will still be more kick-ass with the real CF overlays. :)

It's been so hard to sit on my car the past two weeks waiting for the PPF to be put on. But I keep telling myself it'll be worth it about a week and half from now when my car comes back. In the mean time, my car now has 4 layers of polish and 2 coats of wax on it. Boredom is killer. haha

Let us know how this is going and post lots of pics

Taking the MS in tomorrow to get tint, vinyl and a full PPF. Pretty pumped. Going the "murdered out" look. Not really interested in CF-look vinyl as it always looks tacky when up close, so I'm just going to go for all blacks and grays. I'm hoping that true CF parts come out in the future for some bits on the Model S other than the spoiler.

PorscheDealer, for your turn signals, is the Tesla T cut out, or is the vinyl over the top? I'm hoping my shop can cut out the T so that it'll still shine through, but it's pretty small and intricate. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Our cars are basically twins. I'll post some before and after pics as well, but your's will still be more kick-ass with the real CF overlays. :)

It's been so hard to sit on my car the past two weeks waiting for the PPF to be put on. But I keep telling myself it'll be worth it about a week and half from now when my car comes back. In the mean time, my car now has 4 layers of polish and 2 coats of wax on it. Boredom is killer. haha