Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ask The Audience: What Did Elon Mean?

What did Elon mean with his "~8th circle" tweet?

• Close to coming out of hell

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • Still deep in hell

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Pass me the whiskey

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie is correct. Elon was referencing Dante and communicating with a metaphor, the way much of human communication is done. No mystery here. Of course Elon does not believe in the literal idea of hell. Nor do I. But it is a useful metaphor.
That's an extremely bold statement - about what Elon believes......but unfortunately you might be right.

https://www.quora.com/Does-Elon-Musk-believe-in-God

Ummm.... If I'm not mistaken, Level 8 is fraud. I really hope Elon isn't trying to signal something.

Yes, it covers Fraud............and Political Corruption. And all of us that have followed Elon & TMC with 'eyes wide open' have seen TMC respond beyond the obvious to his metaphorical tweets of violin playing, stormy weather, and even the now-infamous VIN# 1134 that was sufficient enough to hijack the boards and send many into a treasure map-like search for an initial production-ramp clue. I feel there is no reason to discount the likelihood that this tweet is also metaphorical in nature and/or 'veiled in allegory'.

So........Elon posting pictures of being at the GF 'in the dark' and cooking without power while commenting on finding himself in Dante's 8th circle...........while information is circulating regarding the interruption of power to the GF that is causing chaos to the production lines by the same utility that stuck it to him/SolarCity in Nevada (NV Energy and their fossil fuel investors) at the same time that TE and TM need to ramp up battery production to be able to simultaneously meet the challenges of the Model 3 roll-out AND the challenges of disrupting the fossil fuel paradigms in Australia and Puerto Rico..............while the FEMA contract for restoring power to Puerto Rico is being awarded to a 2-person company that in all likelihood was also a signal that the current administration expects the new grid to look exactly like the old one? There is far more here than a simple weather map of Shortsville IMHO. (BTW - I was extremely impressed with the leadership it took for PR and VI to reach out to Elon for help to rebuild with public funds under the current administration, and also in the wake of the fracking & shale oil nightmares that the last two administrations have left us, for there must be incredible lobbying efforts to rebuild Puerto RIco with fossil fuel sources behind the scenes at a location that could add huge new fossil fuel loads to the otherwise stranded-assets of the Dakota Access Pipeline and Keystone Pipelines).

Elon could never even hint at any one of these concepts, nor could he comment on Fraud or Political Corruption and not get his head handed to him by the press. But he could certainly send an allegorical or metaphorical message to his followers who have been conditioned to look for just that. He thoroughly seems to enjoy the fact that his massive following of over 14,000,000 people on Twitter seem to understand his methods of communication, and also understand that the biggest challenges his companies face are political in nature...........and are well beyond simply putting a battery in an ICE vehicle and getting rid of almost 2,000 parts.

@ValueAnalyst - just a suggestion - when you create a board such as this for people to express their opinions of the meaning of a rather vague message you might generate more input if you didn't rate people's comments as 'funny' when they appear to be sincere and when there appears to be a trend forming in the theme of those comments...............i.e. @ATHiker, @Garlan Garner, and @GoTslaGo. I offer that with all due respect as I sincerely appreciate all the time, effort, and value you bring to TMC.

@ValueAnalyst - just a suggestion - when you create a board such as this for people to express their opinions of the meaning of a rather vague message you might generate more input if you didn't rate people's comments as 'funny' when they appear to be sincere and when there appears to be a trend forming in the theme of those comments...............i.e. @ATHiker, @Garlan Garner, and @GoTslaGo. I offer that with all due respect as I sincerely appreciate all the time, effort, and value you bring to TMC.

I genuinely thought I was laughing at their jokes. Apologies if that came across wrong.

I was wrong on my "no brainer" comment. Elon Musk has clarified what he meant. From the earnings call as reported by Elon Musk: Up all night, at times depressed, taking the blame for Tesla production delays

"Let's say level nine is the worst, OK? Well, we were in level nine," he said. "I was really depressed about three or four weeks ago when I realized that we're kind of in level nine," he said. "I was sort of quite down in the dumps."

But things are looking up. "We're now in level eight and I think we're close to exiting level eight," said Musk. "Now I can see sort of a clear path to sunshine. So I feel really pretty optimistic right now."

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I was wrong on my "no brainer" comment. Elon Musk has clarified what he meant. From the earnings call as reported by Elon Musk: Up all night, at times depressed, taking the blame for Tesla production delays

"Let's say level nine is the worst, OK? Well, we were in level nine," he said. "I was really depressed about three or four weeks ago when I realized that we're kind of in level nine," he said. "I was sort of quite down in the dumps."

But things are looking up. "We're now in level eight and I think we're close to exiting level eight," said Musk. "Now I can see sort of a clear path to sunshine. So I feel really pretty optimistic right now."

Thank you for following up; I really appreciate it.

People may not be aware of Dante's 9 circles of hell. The 9th one is the last. @Etna's interpretation is almost assuredly correct, with Elon saying they're almost through the different levels of hell.

I don't know about that.

Dante's crossing of the Eighth Circle of Hell is one of the longest and most detailed in the entire ''Inferno.''

analyze the original literature and it took longer to travel through the 8th circle than it did to pass through most of 1-7.