Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At low speeds Model 3 is too quiet [Update: now solved with new pedestrian warning sounds]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have 5 senses for a reason. I try not to use 'touch' as a primary sense when checking for cars before crossing roads; I find sight and hearing much better.
As a driver you don't have control over the pedestrians' choice of which they do or don't use. Reliance on sound, or sight for that matter, is a fundamental mistake.

P.S. Sound probably doesn't matter at all if you're paying attention. The limited data that is out there suggests accident occurrence probably isn't impacted for vehicles traveling straight (at any speed). So it is mostly a driver observation issue.

AirPods and distracted walking are the issue. Not EV's and lack of noise.

I mostly agree with this. I've only had once incident so far where a pedestrian was an issue, and she was on her phone with her back to me. I pulled up, very slowly, until I was almost next to her, and she finally realized I was there. The look on her face was pretty funny...

I like the idea of the pedestrian beeper, but I hope they integrate it into the cameras so it only goes off when needed. Otherwise I see a lot of people accidentally snipping those wires...

Reactions: DOC52 and Pkmmte
I have been driving my Tesla for 15k miles now and have noticed a serious safety issue. When I pull out of my driveway the car is so silent pedestrians and bicyclists do not hear the vehicle. It is the same in parking structures. This could easily be solved with a chime button that would broadcast a tone outside of the vehicle (I vote for R2D2's chime). I would use this daily to warn in blind approaches or parking structures. I would like to adjust the exterior volume myself based on condition.
This is the most dangerous thing I have noticed with this completely awesome car.
Model 3 already reserved space for the Audible Vehicle Alert System as required by law (in some states/countries) in the future. It could be easily installed by Mobile Service. Definitely cool if Elon let us customize it!

I have been driving my Tesla for 15k miles now and have noticed a serious safety issue. When I pull out of my driveway the car is so silent pedestrians and bicyclists do not hear the vehicle. It is the same in parking structures. This could easily be solved with a chime button that would broadcast a tone outside of the vehicle (I vote for R2D2's chime). I would use this daily to warn in blind approaches or parking structures. I would like to adjust the exterior volume myself based on condition.
This is the most dangerous thing I have noticed with this completely awesome car.
I vote you never get to pick chimes.

Yeah its something you have to adjust too. I have curbed two rims as people walk right in front of me and forced me to swerve, the next person just gets broken legs. I do find its a certain demographic, young people have something playing music in their ears and tend to pay attention where they walk. As much as they live on their phones they tend to be pretty self aware I guess if you grow up with a phone you adjust. Its the slightly older crowd that are way more dependent on sound. I have never had a kid walk in front of my car but lots of parents. If a kid does they just blow by quick and scare you but they are not going to get hit.

Couldn't agree more

Every time I pull out of my driveway I'm blind to possible approaching kids etc. Our neighborhood has skateboarders, bikers... all of it.
This is not a Tesla problem. With as quiet as all newer cars are now, if your driveway is blind to the sidewalk then you're going to have issues anyway. Especially if there are kids skateboarding or riding their bike - any noise a newer car makes is going to drowned out by them. If you're really concerned then either blow your horn or install a mirror on a pole or tree that would let you see down the sidewalk.

Reactions: Scott7
In 1989, we bought our first minivan (3 kids). Plymouth Grand Voyager. Very hard to see behind when something is up close. I installed a Fresnel lens on the rear glass that helped a lot. Then I installed a backup beeper. It went into the backup light socket and included a light. I don't think anyone ever paid attention to it except my wife who griped about it. I can recall numerous cars driving by the rear of the van as I tried to back out of a space. Also about every pedestrian. Like nothing was happening. From experience I don't think anyone will pay attention. If you see a pedestrian where he/she could walk in front of you, provide for that event. If you hit them it will most likely be your fault. You just have to assume that pedestrians won't pay attention.

This is an old issue. EV's have been dealing with this since day one. If you drive with the sense that you're in a normally invisible car, you'll have abetter chance of not hitting others, or being hit. I learned this the hard way the first week with my volt several years ago - got hit the second day I had it, by someone who swore I wasn't there.

AirPods are not tight, so users can hear ambient sounds. The Volt that had a courtesy horn was the Gen1, not the Gen2. My Volt made a spaceship kind of sound when driving slowly, supposedly.

I like the idea of using a key fob and just hitting the button, it'll give you a couple chirps.

Status
Not open for further replies.