Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the Decatur Service Center today. I talked to the General Contractor. The stalls are in place. You can see that from the pictures already posted. The GC also indicated that the electrical infrastructure is in place. When the Supercharger becomes available is up to Tesla.

I learned today, on our Facebook forum, that the Superchargers at the Decatur, GA Tesla store were installed backwards; if that's possible. They have to bust up the concrete and reset the stands. From what I gather, that work could take several days and involves permitting. The store did not open yesterday. I don't think it was ever the plan to open it yesterday. The news reports were wrong. They got the COO yesterday, but it seems that the store will open later this month. So I guess the Superchargers won't be available until then.

I learned today, on our Facebook forum, that the Superchargers at the Decatur, GA Tesla store were installed backwards; if that's possible.
Oh yeah, if you go back and look at the photos in post #100 you can clearly see it. The cables are attached on the left side of the pedestal, meaning that it will hit the back of the car when removed rather than the space between parking spots. The cable may not even reach the charging port after wrapping around the rear of the car.

I drove by the Decatur store tonight. I expected the lot to be closed, but the gate was open. The 4 HPWCs out front were powered up and available for charging. It doesn't look like they have moved in yet though. There are no cars on the lot, none in the show room, and none in service bays. The building does look like it's ready to go. The big Tesla sign is up and everything but the Superchargers seem ready.

Oh yeah, if you go back and look at the photos in post #100 you can clearly see it. The cables are attached on the left side of the pedestal, meaning that it will hit the back of the car when removed rather than the space between parking spots. The cable may not even reach the charging port after wrapping around the rear of the car.

I have no experience with SpC's, but might it be possible to repaint parking space lines, effectively moving the SpC's over half a space? Just asking in the interest of time & money (as a TSLA investor).

Posted pictures in another Thread showing the back faceplates facing forward with exposed hardware.
The ones facing rearward have a more finished look.....clearly installed backwards.
Someone in charge deemed this unacceptable. Although someone earlier in charge authorized it to be done this way (according to the Electrical contractor).
It will cost the labor hours for an electrical crew for 3 days, which can't be cheap. As a TSLA investor I am not thrilled either, but for a potential customer driving into the lot, it needs to look right.

Posted pictures in another Thread showing the back faceplates facing forward with exposed hardware.
The ones facing rearward have a more finished look.....clearly installed backwards.
Someone in charge deemed this unacceptable. Although someone earlier in charge authorized it to be done this way (according to the Electrical contractor).
It will cost the labor hours for an electrical crew for 3 days, which can't be cheap. As a TSLA investor I am not thrilled either, but for a potential customer driving into the lot, it needs to look right.

If you are worried about $5k in extra cost to install a supercharger site as a TSLA investor. You need to lighten up.

Don't know why they need to bust the concrete up. The power cable goes up in the cabinet and it attached in the top center. I would think you just need to flip the cabinet, worst case flip and shift the spaces a bit. It looks like the cabinet is bolted to the concrete and was not placed and then the concrete poured around it.

It's not the 5K....it's the poor planning.
That can result in many multiple 5K's.

Which is better business?

Having one guy ($100,000k cost to Tesla a year) oversee 30 supercharger installs with only the slightest oversight?
Having two guys ($200,000k cost to Tesla a year) oversee 15 supercharger installs with good oversight?

Sure you end up with more mistakes in the first scenario. But it costs you less. Granted there are other benefits to having the two people. But handing a contractor a stack of papers and telling them to finish is often cheaper, even with mistakes and some change orders, than paying someone to watch it happen correctly.

We are getting to watch the sausage being made.
Could be that when other Dealerships build new showrooms, glitches are made that make this look like a hiccup.
Initially, Tesla was hurrying the contractors to get all done fast but the rush seems to be off.
Word on the street says that there are staffing issues and the opening may be delayed until around Thanksgiving.