Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attaching a transponder above the headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new TxTag, which btw is much smaller than the older square tags (paper thin, about 1" by 3"). Since I don't think I can place this on the windshield due to the coating it supposedly has, I'd like to place it on the glass roof. It looks like it can be mostly hidden by placing it along the front edge of the glass, tucked away just above the edge of the headliner. It is supposed to have several inches of clearance from metal (on center or on the L/R sides), and I'm wondering what the construction of the headliner is (seems like plastic), or if I need to place it away from the headliner.

I don't have a handheld device that I could test the windshield with I believe. And I'm not familiar with how GPS would emulate RFID blocking, but an app sounds like an interesting idea.

Yes, TxTag does offer an external transponder for a fee. I figured I had nothing to lose by first trying the roof and checking online afterwards to see how it was reported. And I'm not crazy about the idea of an external mount. I may ask the SC what the construction of the headliner is, since their techs should just know the answer to if and where there is metal. Thanks all.

The gps trick works because the IR coating on the glass blocks both fps and rfid signals. When using a gps signal strength app on your phone, you look for a spot that has the most signal. Then roll through the rfid tag reader knowing you found a good spot for the tag