Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Sound System Quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that. Right after you posted I ran out to my car to test some stuff out for you.

First, I faded 100% to the rear. The rear speakers are smaller than the front, so this results in some loss in volume (plus they're further away), but the overall sound quality and balance (bass/mid/treb) remained static. Notably, the subwoofer remained in relatively in balance with the volume at the rears, and if anything backed off a bit in the overall mix. Besides that, I couldn't discern any differential besides volume, and certainly wouldn't describe the sound like a cell phone speaker.

Fading 100% to the front, after correcting for volume, sounds bass-heavy compared to my default mix, and I could hear no discernable bass coming from the rear of the car (though I didn't go back and feel the sub to check). Clearly the front speakers are providing significant assistance to the subwoofer in the bass department at low to mid volume (after which the sub clearly takes over in my standard mix). Certainly this fills out the sound, but I'd probably need to reduce the bass in my standard mix to fade more to the front unless I listened at higher volumes more regularly.

Finally, I scrambled my settings, closed my eyes, and fumbled with the display attempting to blindly dial in the sound. I settled on Fade (-11), Balance (0), Bass (+3.5), Mid (-1.5), Treble (0.5). Interestingly, that's exactly my old fade setting, and the Bass/Mid/Treb is within 0.5 of where I had it previously. At least my own preferences are consistent. In my car, at least, the rear speakers don't even begin to introduce themselves back there until somewhere around -7. This is consistent with the volume differences noted above.

So I guess my #1 suggestion at this point is to attempt to compare front/back at equivalent volume. They should be very similar in quality, if not volume.

There's been dozens of these threads, though, with hugely differing results. IMO, there has to be something wrong to explain why results seem to differ so wildly.

Are we sure it's just not the source? Blown fuses, etc. aside, the source makes a dramatic difference.

same iphone, same pandora station, same phone volume and still there was a notable difference which is quite puzzling to me. I felt that I had gotten away from the bad sound system by trading up to a newer improved one, but rather it looks like it's a bit of roulette regardless of when you buy the car and I have no decent explanation for that. I also realize sound quality is a grossly subjective thing and that the human mind, mine included, is very susceptible to self delusion so I do admit to having no purely objective way to prove this to the point of zero doubt. That said, a very signature aspect of the problem in the first car was the way the fade dropped out suddenly when moving back and even had audiophiles in the car listening who said "oh, that's not right!". in my current S, fading to the back causes some loss in fidelity, since most of the speakers are in the dash, but the fade does not drop out dramatically like our first one and the overall sound remains decent. It think it was somewhere around -8 that the sound drops out, for those with that issue, I'd press Tesla on it. I am confident that it is possible to get decent sound out of a properly functioning upgrade version.

I've used FLAC and AIFF off the USB stick. I've also used different styles and different production quality cuts to test the system. The results have been uniform. Any fade to the rear significantly reduces sound quality.

That's probably the difference. I've never had any reason to fade the sound to the rear other than to show it can be done.

That's probably the difference. I've never had any reason to fade the sound to the rear other than to show it can be done.

I've always liked to have the sound pulled back a little. To me it expands the soundstage and creates a little more immersion into the audio. I'm not talking about pulling the sound all the way back, but just a few notches behind center. Just a move to 3 or 4 behind center causes a noticeable decrease in quality.

today I sent an email to the ownership email address re the problem. I'll wait and see how they respond.

I assume that you have had the Dolby Surround turned off.

If you do any fading with it turned on, it's essentially unusable. It seems like with the Dolby Surround on the rear speakers have synthesized surround sounds and as you fade to rear, it just decreases the front speaker volume and the rear sounds also fade somewhat.

I assume that you have had the Dolby Surround turned off.

If you do any fading with it turned on, it's essentially unusable. It seems like with the Dolby Surround on the rear speakers have synthesized surround sounds and as you fade to rear, it just decreases the front speaker volume and the rear sounds also fade somewhat.

I can vouch for this. Noticed this in a loaner I had with the sound studio. With the standard sound (that I have in my own car), fade works exactly like one'd expect.

I too have experimented with fading and Dolby off. It does seem to help, although I wonder how much of this is related to most cars having the bass sound coming from the rear of the car and we try to make the Tesla sound like other cars. Seems to me like the sound "stage" of the Tesla is more towards the front of the car and the front speakers are capable of more bass than "standard" front speakers.....

One thing I have been meaning to do is ride in the back seat and see what the stereo sounds like in the back seat...

Maybe someone can help me out here. The signal processing really has me confused on this car. I bought the upgraded sound system as I wanted the subwoofer (and for some reason the XM). I wasn't even aware at the time that the primary speaker size was different between the two systems. What I really can't figure out is the Dolby "surround" setting. It doesn't seem to surround anything. Using the fader (and Dolby on) at -20 there is no sound from anything except the speakers in the hatch and the subwoofer--sounds like telephone quality. Moving one notch to -19 brings on the rear door speakers and slowly increases level until -9 which abruptly starts to bring up the front speakers. Moving the fader all the way to +20 shuts off the rear speakers entirely (duh!) but switching from Dolby to non Dolby seem like switching from Mono sound in front of the driver to a wider sound stage with the Dolby off. None of the controls seem linear and the surround setting just sounds wrong to me. Why can the Dolby surround process some signals but not the radio signals? Maybe I just need to just chill out, leave the surround off and not worry about this. But it seems strange or either my car or my brain is wired wrong.

Maybe someone can help me out here. The signal processing really has me confused on this car. I bought the upgraded sound system as I wanted the subwoofer (and for some reason the XM). I wasn't even aware at the time that the primary speaker size was different between the two systems. What I really can't figure out is the Dolby "surround" setting. It doesn't seem to surround anything. Using the fader (and Dolby on) at -20 there is no sound from anything except the speakers in the hatch and the subwoofer--sounds like telephone quality. Moving one notch to -19 brings on the rear door speakers and slowly increases level until -9 which abruptly starts to bring up the front speakers. Moving the fader all the way to +20 shuts off the rear speakers entirely (duh!) but switching from Dolby to non Dolby seem like switching from Mono sound in front of the driver to a wider sound stage with the Dolby off. None of the controls seem linear and the surround setting just sounds wrong to me. Why can the Dolby surround process some signals but not the radio signals? Maybe I just need to just chill out, leave the surround off and not worry about this. But it seems strange or either my car or my brain is wired wrong.

Suggest you start at beginning of this thread and do some reading.

As far as I'm aware, very few of us actually use the Dolby setting. I find it to be less than worthless for my audio sources and musical tastes.

Start by fading in the -10 to -12 area, go plus a few notches on the bass EQ, minus a few on the midrange, and leave the treble flat. See how that feels. A respected audio engineer had some sample settings in this range earlier in the thread, so you might hunt those down. Note that this setup sounds a little thin at low volumes but really comes alive as the volume increases.

As on some other luxury cars, the sound stage in the Model S appears to be deliberately forced way far to the front, and you can't overcome that with settings on hand. Best you can do is even it out a bit.

One further note: there appears to be substantial variation in speaker quality and optimal settings based on the delivery date of your vehicle. For example, some people say they can barely even tell there's a subwoofer, but mine hits hard enough to make my mirrors useless. So, YMMV.

As far as I'm aware, very few of us actually use the Dolby setting. I find it to be less than worthless for my audio sources and musical tastes.

Start by fading in the -10 to -12 area, go plus a few notches on the bass EQ, minus a few on the midrange, and leave the treble flat. See how that feels. A respected audio engineer had some sample settings in this range earlier in the thread, so you might hunt those down. Note that this setup sounds a little thin at low volumes but really comes alive as the volume increases.

Agreed with that config. I think I have my bass on max 12, mid on like 6 , and high on around 3 or 4.

One further note: there appears to be substantial variation in speaker quality and optimal settings based on the delivery date of your vehicle. For example, some people say they can barely even tell there's a subwoofer, but mine hits hard enough to make my mirrors useless. So, YMMV.

This completely depends on what kind of music you are listening too, your EQ settings, and the source quality of the music itself. Aka tunein vs flac.

This completely depends on what kind of music you are listening too, your EQ settings, and the source quality of the music itself. Aka tunein vs flac.
Unless I missed your point, I would disagree. There are 3 Model S owners in my building, and we all have what is now called the UHFS option. We all tuned to the same HD Radio station, and verified we had the HD indicator on (it wasn't falling back to plain FM). We tried our EDM channel, a rock channel, and a classical channel. We configured our EQ/Bal/Fade identically. There was a significant and easily noticeable difference between the two earlier cars (Sound Studio) and my November (UHFS) machine. Indeed if you go back through this thread, somewhere there's at least a few pages discussing the point where Tesla started changing the components. The system has been through at least one revision since launch.

If your point was that source and settings matters more than which revision you have, certainly I'd agree with that. You can't fix a crappy source with better components, but certainly the system has seen some improvements since launch.

Last edited:
somewhere there's at least a few pages discussing the point where Tesla started changing the components. The system has been through at least one revision since launch.

Tesla never changed anything with regards to the sound studio vs UHFS. this was verified by Tesla stating that they did nothing but change the name. Theres been 0 revisions to the sound studio package since launch.

Tesla never changed anything with regards to the sound studio vs UHFS. this was verified by Tesla stating that they did nothing but change the name. Theres been 0 revisions to the sound studio package since launch.
Interesting. That's basically the opposite of the consensus of this thread. And as usual when trying to get straight answers, the opposite of what Tesla told us as well. They even pulled up the part numbers with revisions on them when we asked. One of the guys moved away, but I'll see if he still has the sheet the now-defunct Menlo Park SC (I think?) gave him.

If they made no actual changes, then I suppose it could be explained by poor quality control on the early vehicles' speakers or amplifiers. We controlled all of the variables we could think of and a huge difference remained (we even all have the Pano roof), so something certainly happened.

Also, I'll note that it wasn't SS vs. UHFS. Supposedly the revision we were told about came some time after the package was renamed UHFS. September/October timeframe, if I recall.

Last edited:
I believe any changes noticed were simply due to a software audio driver upgrade in one of the firmware updates. hardware itself has remained the same.

Perhaps, but we were all on the same firmware update. There were literally no audio-related differences other than the age of the cars.

So I guess not knowing the reason behind why some cars sound significantly better than others continues. My only idea was the hardware rev Tesla told us they made. *shrugs* Oh well. Mine sounds good :)

Wondered if it's possible to install aftermarket audio hardware? Is there any way of getting a hold of a manual that may explain where all of the equipment is located? Anyone installed an aftermarket audio system? If so, any help with descriptions of what and how they did it?

Wondered if it's possible to install aftermarket audio hardware? ... Anyone installed an aftermarket audio system?

yes, many have. Dr Taras (Al & Eds shop) have done a huge upgrade of his. many have gone with Reus Audio. a few have installed their own amps and subs. there are a few links in this thread to those other threads describing the work done.

Is there any way of getting a hold of a manual that may explain where all of the equipment is located?

ha, good luck. you'd be the first.