Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Sound System Quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listening to fm/am radio on the standard system, maybe the sound benefits won't be readily apparent,

Does anyone even listen to am/fm radio anymore? I think the last time I listed to am was in the late sixties and fm in the early seventies. I keep wondering why they are still included. Home audio systems include these useless things as well and I keep wondering why I have to pay for them.

There's an old adage "it's better to be looking at it, than looking for it" that I think applies to the sound system.

Very true. Another way to look at it... Listen to your current car audio system, and ask if you're happy with it. As I suspect most of our cars do not have a premium sound system like what the "Sound Studio" package is in the Model S.

Would you be able to appreciate the difference between the two sound systems, side by side? I'll bet it's a very noticeable difference.

If you just got the base package and never heard the premium audio... for many of us (but not all), I suspect we'd be more than satisfied it.

Note, this is partial conjecture on my part, as I have not heard the base audio system. And every person's ear in audio has a different demand.

As I'll likely be spending two hours a day commuting during the week in my Model S, I plan on getting the premium system.

When I was in the Portland store last week, Emily (the very nice Tesla person) said the model was configured to turn the feature on and off. From what I could tell it was just whether it did flat stereo or Dolby. The on/off button was "Dolby somethingorother". It's definitely better with it on, it's the same sound processing you see on any amp.

Now, that said, I have no idea if the button also handled enabling/disabling the wattage and speaker quantity differences.

The MP3 storage is the only reason I configured my MSP with the upgraded audio...

Do we know how much storage is available in the non-upgraded audio system? The specs mentioned 1000 songs, if an average mp3 file is about 5 to 8 MB, then it could be the base audio package has a storage of about 8GB.

Also, can the audio system play music from a USB stick? If so, then technically we can plug in a 64GB USB stick for > 5000 songs.

Do we know how much storage is available in the non-upgraded audio system? The specs mentioned 1000 songs, if an average mp3 file is about 5 to 8 MB, then it could be the base audio package has a storage of about 8GB.

Also, can the audio system play music from a USB stick? If so, then technically we can plug in a 64GB USB stick for > 5000 songs.

According to the website, the standard system is listed as having room for 500 songs.......

....I have to assume the worst and that this is 500 128 kbps songs.....At 3.5 MB per song, that is about 1750 MB or about 2 GB formatted, which is unfortunately VERY small these days.....

If the upgraded package, which lists the capacity for 3000 songs, is measured in the same manner, that would be about 10 GB.....still a small amount........... :(

So we now have two answers:

1. The premium sound system is really good value for money.

2. Skip it. Only critical listeners will notice the difference.

I think there is some more input needed.

My guess is that if the difference matters to you, the upgrade is well worth the money. For many people, the base system will be good enough. For those of us who care (and I'm sure I'm one of them), the $950 will be money well spent. Probably a bargain considering what it would cost to get an equivalent aftermarket upgrade.

I played from USB stick, iPhone bt, android bt, And phone plugged in via USB. They all worked the same way. I'll probably plug in my phone to charge it or use bt. The internal memory is good for getting music from friends.

You can turn dolby off, but that is not the same as turning the upgrade on and off. The upgrade has more watts, more speakers and a sub. I actually prefer Dolby off. They system is such a good deal I don't see how anyone could pass it up. Eventually you listen to music and wonder why you didn't upgrade for clarity in your silent car. Other companies offer way more expensive audio upgrades.

Plus, I wouldn't say the upgraded system is super loud or heavy hitting so I can't even imagine the stock system.

Last edited:
So we now have two answers:

1. The premium sound system is really good value for money.

2. Skip it. Only critical listeners will notice the difference.

I think there is some more input needed.
Interpretation:

Q [Buyer1]: I'm considering the premium sound system, and I'm the sensitive audiophile type. Is it worth it?
A [Rep]: It's well worth the money. You'll be blown away, especially after you tune it to your liking.

Q [Buyer2]: I'm trying to figure out what options I really need, and I'm not much of an audiophile. Do I need it? Or should I get ...
A [Rep]: Skip it.

The question often colors the answer.

Does anyone even listen to am/fm radio anymore? I think the last time I listed to am was in the late sixties and fm in the early seventies. I keep wondering why they are still included. Home audio systems include these useless things as well and I keep wondering why I have to pay for them.

I guess I'm still a dinosaur :smile: Still listen to the news at the top of the hour and traffic and weather on the 8s on AM and then switch to FM for songs....

The question often colors the answer.

I think the issue is that no one's heard the standard system and has weighed in......

all we really know is that people have been listening to the upgraded sound, and a few audiophiles have weighed in regarding its pros and cons....

if we heard the standard sounds, i'm sure people like myself might ultimately decide against it....even if we do like good music.

Hi, I was wondering if it was confirmed that the premium audio system comes with a subwoofer? I remember that the sales rep in the Newport Beach store told me that there was no subwoofer and I don't think I saw it mentioned on the Tesla website.

I played from USB stick, iPhone bt, android bt, And phone plugged in via USB. They all worked the same way. I'll probably plug in my phone to charge it or use bt. The internal memory is good for getting music from friends.

You can turn dolby off, but that is not the same as turning the upgrade on and off. The upgrade has more watts, more speakers and a sub. I actually prefer Dolby off. They system is such a good deal I don't see how anyone could pass it up. Eventually you listen to music and wonder why you didn't upgrade for clarity in your silent car. Other companies offer way more expensive audio upgrades.

Plus, I wouldn't say the upgraded system is super loud or heavy hitting so I can't even imagine the stock system.

I don't have a choice anyway :) Normally I wouldn't get upgraded sound because I'm fairly sensitive to background noise (which is always there in an ICE), and that disrupts the listening experience anyway. I haven't been able to test drive an S, but I assume there would actually be a point in me getting the upgraded system since I won't hear as much background interference. To put it in perspective, though, we are talking about listening to music. You probably shouldn't be focusing on it too much while driving. Although I can picture myself sitting in my car while parked and listening intently.

(On another topic, I was born in the 80's and I still listen to AM & FM radio - it's called sports coverage. I have a long commute home after a football game and like the postgame show. I don't pay $ for satellite radio, because I can get everything for free online anyway, and it's not force-fed content).

Here's a question to put into your decision-making hopper: How much did you spend on your home stereo gear? If the answer is under $2k, don't even think of getting the upgrade. If the answer is over $5k, then you probably should upgrade. In between, think hard.

Well, I hear what you're sayin'......

....but I feel that listening to music and movies at home is all about the experience.....and I want to have the surround and high quality sound....!!!!

Not sure I would notice the difference in the car while driving....

I'll have to hear the standard sound first, I guess...