Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Sound System Quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P.s. I brought in my own music stick with 256kbps quality music. If you bring in older music tracks from early iTunes, without upgrading to the higher quality bit rate, say the 128kbps... you really aren't listening to quality music that challenges this system.
---------------------------------------
I'd like to do the same sort of test that you did at the DC store (at least after they get a true Production model - not that I have anything against Beta #22). I'm curious to know how you prepped your USB stick for the test listen. In other words, did you start with an empty drive and create a music folder or do the tracks need to be at the root level? I may be at one extreme where my collection is very organized so the actual MP3 files are a few directories deep. Does the Model S scan the drive when you put it in to take an inventory? Does it add the tracks to the internal drive? I'm pretty sure I want Studio Sound package, I'm just not sure if my ears are calibrated well enough to justify the additional expense.

News flash: The Model S appears to play FLAC and WAV, but multichannel FLAC didn't seem to work well. I needed more time to be thorough, but the WAV and 2-channel FLAC sounded sweeeeet.

That IS excellent news, although I'm not surprised by this. What would have been more surprising is that Tesla would have started production deliveries of a premium system without FLAC capability. I always assumed it was just a matter of time before it would have been added through a software update. Thanks for the info; I've got some FLAC and derived MP3 files ready for a test drive of the sound system.

I built a USB stick this afternoon with AAC, MP3, AIFF, WAV and ALAC audio files. I'm looking forward to trying it out to see what does and doesn't play, and how they all sound. As I noted in my posting about visiting Menlo Park this afternoon, a track played from a USB stick that was already in the car when I dropped in sounded just fine.

News flash: The Model S appears to play FLAC and WAV, but multichannel FLAC didn't seem to work well. I needed more time to be thorough, but the WAV and 2-channel FLAC sounded sweeeeet.

Yesss!!! Sa-weeeet!! Great sound, and I won't have to convert my FLAC collection either. I bet multi-channel FLAC is just around the corner, its the next logical step. Hopefully only a software update needed for that.

---------------------------------------
I'd like to do the same sort of test that you did at the DC store (at least after they get a true Production model - not that I have anything against Beta #22). I'm curious to know how you prepped your USB stick for the test listen. In other words, did you start with an empty drive and create a music folder or do the tracks need to be at the root level? I may be at one extreme where my collection is very organized so the actual MP3 files are a few directories deep. Does the Model S scan the drive when you put it in to take an inventory? Does it add the tracks to the internal drive? I'm pretty sure I want Studio Sound package, I'm just not sure if my ears are calibrated well enough to justify the additional expense.

Yeah I made a play list (in my case in iTunes), though you could just drag a few song directly on to your USB. I put music that I know will challenge the sound system, with songs that really push the low end, and songs with live performances looking for high end response. I listen for accurate reproduction, clean, not muddy, but articulate.

It's best that your USB stick has no folders, clean to start with, and has enough room for your songs. Just drag from your folder, or playlist, to your USB drive. It will copy them on. When you get to the store/car, just plug in to the car's USB port and the sound system will instantly recognize all of your music.

I doesn't add the music automatically, but I'll bet there's a way to import them, though I don't know how that would work.

I think you'll find it will exceed your previous experiences. Using your own music, will confirm it for you.

Yeah I made a play list (in my case in iTunes), though you could just drag a few song directly on to your USB. I put music that I know will challenge the sound system, with songs that really push the low end, and songs with live performances looking for high end response. I listen for accurate reproduction, clean, not muddy, but articulate.

It's best that your USB stick has no folders, clean to start with, and has enough room for your songs. Just drag from your folder, or playlist, to your USB drive. It will copy them on. When you get to the store/car, just plug in to the car's USB port and the sound system will instantly recognize all of your music.

I doesn't add the music automatically, but I'll bet there's a way to import them, though I don't know how that would work.

I think you'll find it will exceed your previous experiences. Using your own music, will confirm it for you.

Great - Thanks for the clarification!

That's ~50GB. A 64G USB stick is $80. 50GB of hard disk space is worth $8 if you look at $80 per TB. I think the challenge has shifted long ago from storing your audio collection to managing your audio collection.
Agreed. Years ago saying "I'll just keep it on my computers in uncompressed form, and adjust format per device" would be crazy. Lately, it's entirely rational -- and much simpler to reconvert as new devices pop up, rather than re-rip. I just hadn't been pushed to make the transition until the S.

There's been a lot of talk about the sound system in other threads as well, but I haven't been able to find comments from someone who has done a back to back test of the base system vs upgraded system. Have there even been any cars built with the standard sound?

There's been a lot of talk about the sound system in other threads as well, but I haven't been able to find comments from someone who has done a back to back test of the base system vs upgraded system. Have there even been any cars built with the standard sound?

It appears everything on the road is running with the premium sound system right now. Would be nice if every store had a Performance edition with the tech package, sound system, and rear child seat - and also a non-perf model, with standard sound, and non-leather seats... that would be nice for comparison sake.

Not so sure adding more bass is as easy in an EV as an ICE. Besides, there have been enough positive reports regarding the premium sound upgrade that I now believe Tesla may be offering this option well below their intended margin (25%) if not at their cost. Why would Tesla do this? After market audio installers really have no experience working on an EV like this. I really believe even an "expert" installer would butcher the Model S electrical wiring trying to tap into the battery power to run additional amps,x-overs and eq's. Just getting the power cables to the additional equipment would be a challenge. Here's a photo of Tesla's 12v battery, it looks like an octopus with all the wires coming off it.

Model S 12v Battery.jpg

Many hi-end systems incorporate additional batteries and change out to a hi output alternator, the only place maybe to install an extra 12v battery is the frunk, does anyone really want wiring tapping into the 340v+ battery as there is no alternator to add. The electrical know-how to connect a premium after market system to an EV I don't think is readily out there.

So in short, Tesla offers a premium system at a great price, hopefully avoids the after-market installers and the warranty claims sure to arise from their messed up installation. Yep, go for the $950 upgrade.

Many hi-end systems incorporate additional batteries and change out to a hi output alternator, the only place maybe to install an extra 12v battery is the frunk, does anyone really want wiring tapping into the 340v+ battery as there is no alternator to add. The electrical know-how to connect a premium after market system to an EV I don't think is readily out there.

A roadster owner (DrTaras) had his roadster sound system, interior and accent lighting done by a well known custom sound system installer. They made what looks and sounds to be a very well integrated system with great sound.

That being said, contaygious is correct in that the speakers are dramatically different between the systems, as the upgraded system has a sound bar, front and rear and the sub is already wired in. Adding to the system is less complicated as a result, and people who want more than that system offers can upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: