Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Sound System Quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purposely did not get the studio sound because I read from everyone how bad both systems were. I figured how bad could it be, considering I am not an audiophile I will listen to the music for a few months rip with FLAC and it should be fine. Not, my wife's Bose system in her MBZ was far superior and it was the standard system. So enter Cliff from Reus, finished my install last week and now I have a studio sound system. From my perspective what I like about Reus is what I call benign upgrade, what I mean is not having to rip the whole car apart and it is very seamless. Cannot tell from appearance anything has been done, but what beautiful clarity and depth. Is it worth the money, you can decide. Should this vehicle come with something much better, yes but it did not and was not something that would keep me from purchasing this awesome fricking machine!!!

Merrill,
When they did the install did they put the other 5 speakers in along with new subs (in the trunk floor compartment if I understand correctly)? Did they replace the 7 speakers that were a part of the standard system or leave them in place while adding new ones?

Doctrewho, left speakers as is. I had the 10 inch woofer module, the Reus amplifier 400 watts, the dual upper midrange tweeter modules, center channel module, subwoofer control active and passive crossovers and Reus integration module for the Tesla Model S.
This is what I liked about the install, you could go crazy but for me this is such a huge improvement and very little of the vehicle has to come apart. So far a few of my friends that are way more into music who have heard the system comment that it does indeed sound like a studio system.

Doctrewho, left speakers as is. I had the 10 inch woofer module, the Reus amplifier 400 watts, the dual upper midrange tweeter modules, center channel module, subwoofer control active and passive crossovers and Reus integration module for the Tesla Model S.
This is what I liked about the install, you could go crazy but for me this is such a huge improvement and very little of the vehicle has to come apart. So far a few of my friends that are way more into music who have heard the system comment that it does indeed sound like a studio system.

Awesome, I was unaware that they had multiple options. I thought they had their "Model S" upgrade package and that was all. With your information I'm definitely leaning more toward not getting the Tesla UHFS and going with a Reus system.

...right here.

Regarding the sound system? It's terrible--period.

Did that stop me from ordering a P85+, no. But I have to say, for $100K car, my Jeeps stock sound system is better. Shame, but looks like I will get Reus to install a top quality one. No way I'd drop $2500 on that 'premium system'.

Now if the sound system were a name brand and actually sounded great, $2500 easy--heck I'd pay $4K for a true stereophonic system (like that are options on Porsche, Audi, etc).

Have to agree here- that's why I finally took the plunge and did a partial upgrade (albeit much more than the Reus install). It'd be great to compare all these upgrades and see what ends up working the best for these cars. Here my upgrade---http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/21584-My-Audio-Upgrade-East-Coast-Style There's no doubt Tesla could have made a true stereophonic system.

Out of curiousity, has anyone noticed a difference in bass after upgrading to 5.8 or 5.8.4? I've definitely noticed a huge reduction and am working with the Dania Beach SC to isolate. It's almost as if the subwoofer is barely used anymore.

Anyone else notice this?

Out of curiousity, has anyone noticed a difference in bass after upgrading to 5.8 or 5.8.4? I've definitely noticed a huge reduction and am working with the Dania Beach SC to isolate. It's almost as if the subwoofer is barely used anymore.

Anyone else notice this?

Hi Ethan,

Everything sounds the same to me.

The only thing that I noticed is that Slacker stutters a little more when acquiring a new song. I don't know whether this has anything to do with the upgrade and is merely coincidental, but it appears to have manifested itself after the upgrade.

Larry

Hi Ethan,

Everything sounds the same to me.

The only thing that I noticed is that Slacker stutters a little more when acquiring a new song. I don't know whether this has anything to do with the upgrade and is merely coincidental, but it appears to have manifested itself after the upgrade.

Larry

Thanks Larry for the reply. I've definitely noticed something that changed after the update. As one can imagine, us Miami folks listen to songs with bass on a frequent basis. If something changes on the bass frequencies, we definitely notice. Bottom line, something changed. Of slight annoyance, if something did change with the way audio was processed it should be listed in the release notes. As far as I can tell in this wiki, it is not referenced: Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

In my opinion and the opinion of our friends down here, the sound quality has gotten worse after the update...not better.

I've been on version of 5.8 since I got my car, and haven't noticed any appreciable difference in audio quality or configuration through successive software upgrades, and I was pretty in tune with the sound as I spent a good week or so getting it dialed in. I wonder what's up.

Here's what I think is up: 1) Tesla fixed the "dead/fuzzy" spot in the frequency spectrum that has been discussed earlier in this thread. So, audio sounds just a notch better overall. 2) Tesla implemented a much better Dolby algorithm. Dolby used to be intolerable for most sources, now sounds OK. Still prefer no dolby, with -1.5 mid and +2 bass.

Those of us who are tuned in and notice these things will notice improvement. That's the same group of people who ripped everything to lossless because it sounds so much better. Those of us who couldn't hear that difference won't hear this difference either. As noted extensively earlier in this thread, the Model S audio is unusual: stage far front, VERY flat for car audio. Once you get used to that, find the tweaks, and go to lossless, I think it stands up with any factory system.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the service center complaining that my audio had started sounding really bad. They checked and discovered that the body shop that did some work on the rear of my car apparently had unplugged the subwoofer and not plugged it back in. The difference was amazing!

unfortunately I'm still not happy with the sound from the rear part of the system. I have not had a chance to listen to another csar with the upgraded audio, but when I fade towards the rear, the sound quality degrades significantly with midrange and bass becoming really weak. I don't label myself and audiophile, but I have a very high end system at home, and still enjoy my vinyl through my tube phono stage and mono amps. I like good sound and prefer to listen to my system rather than watch the crap that is on TV.

My question is whether the rear speakers are that much weaker than the front. Frankly, even if I center the fader, the sound still sucks significantly. The only way I get half way decent sound is to set the slider slightly forward. Dolby is off, and I am playing FLAC or AIFF sources through the USB slots. No Reuss Audio option for me here in Florida.

Last question, is there any source that shows the speaker location and count on the upgraded system?

Finally, I agree with Larry re Slacker. On my car, it will play a song for two or three seconds and then pause for another ten seconds. It is so bad I have stopped using it.

I agree, something has changed, I'm just not quite sure what...on the whole it appears to be for the better, though there's one song (via streaming) that at almost any volume from 2 and up just causes a horrible resonation from the front pillar speakers. Will make a note of the song next time it's on.

I also have the same issues with Slacker, it used to be rock solid, now it starts, pauses, and eventually starts again. That's annoying for music, but if you listen to ABC news via Slacker, it's really annoying, since each segment is only a minute or 2 long. It happens on 3G and wifi, so it's not a bandwidth issue, seems like they tweaked a buffer setting somewhere. Badly.