Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio upgrade completed (UHFS -> Reus)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Audio is super important to me, so not only did I upgrade to UHFS, but I just got the Reus upgrade installed today (after a great 1-SC stop trip from the Bay Area to Anaheim).

I am very satisfied, it is super crisp and clear, no distortion, and amazing immersion in the car. Whether it is worth it for any one person is up to them of course, but so far, I am very happy with my decision to drop the $$ into this system.

The install is super-clean, appears completely factory. They use the existing subwoofer from UHFS (relegated to a narrow band of lower-middle frequencies), and then add their own 10" subwoofer as well in the "hidden compartment" of the rear trunk.

Another big change is the tweeter replacements in the pillars, as well as the "center enhancement" tweeter that goes behind the rear-view mirror. It bounces it's sound off the windshield and "sprays" it across the soundstage from the front, it is pretty awesome.

They actually use the speakers that come with the car in the doors (unlike LHR). Apparently, they are more than adequate for delivering the mids they are expected to deliver, and not counted on for any lows or highs.

I listened to UHFS the entire way up from the bay area, on many types of music -- it really is bad. Sub is completely muddy, and sound is not properly "separated" across the various worker speakers - it's muddy overall, distorts and louder volumes, and provides little clarity. The difference from UHFS is night and day.

I still can't believe that Tesla does not offer a decent sound system in a six digit car. That is really the right solution here, a decent Bose, Harmon/Kardon, or even Sony system would be much better than the UHFS - and I would have probably been satisfied with that (as I am with the Sony in my Ford Fusion).

Reactions: OBX John
After a day of listening on the trip back up from L.A., all I can say is WOW. I got back into my Ford Fusion (which I described as "quite good"), and while it is still better than Tesla UHFS - it now sounds so deficient. I am ruined for life for any average system. Worth every penny.

The factory sub is 1 ohm, so you should be able to wire that dual 2-ohm driver in parallel to yield a 1-ohm load.

I'd take the factory driver out and measure to see if it would fit.

That all said, the RF sub only has a sensitivity of 83db, so you might be taking a step back in output with only 80w going to it. Beefy drivers generally need beefy power.

The more I look into upgrading my OEM UHFS subwoofer (part number 1004833-03-A) the most I think it isn't possible to do so without upgrading the amp as well. I haven't found any aftermarket speaker/subwoofer manufacturer that makes a subwoofer that conforms directly with the OEM Tesla UHFS system. The Rockford Fosgate seems to be the closest but at 150 watts RMS I don't think it will work correctly. I mean, what will a 150 watt RMS subwoofer do to my 560 watt OEM amp sending 80 watts to the subwoofer? Overload it? Toast the amp? Catch my Model S on fire?

The RF driver is rated at 250W RMS, not 150W. You're most likely to clip the amp by attempting to get more out of the sub. That can damage both the amp and the sub. This is not likely to cause a fire, just leave you with broken audio equipment.
Exactly. Plenty of us have replaced the stock sub with either the SoundQubed or the RF and have only positive results. Unless you’re playing the old skool Bass Mechanix test disc on vol 12 for 30mins, the most “damage” you’ll do is the amp clipping. Fire hazard low. :)